What did you learn on your last Carnival cruise?

marshhawk

Must be one helluva song.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Not really - just a lack of professionalism from the entertainers. It was a dueling pianos show with two musicians. They had advertised that $20 will get your song played. My wife submitted her request along with a picture of President Jackson, and then waited for about an hour and got nothing. She then wrote a little nasty gram on a request sheet and turned it in. One of the entertainers called her out and said "See this is what I'm talking about. This person turns in a request but no tip. Hey (my wife's name), if you would give us $20 we would play this song right now." My wife got furious, and in a room of about 150 people screamed at the top of her lungs " I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". The other piano player then said sheepishly "Yeah, I got her request a while ago -- I just didn't want to play it."

What followed was a rather half-hearted abbreviated attempt at the song. This happened on the 3rd night of a 7 night cruise. We didn't go back to the venue the rest of the cruise, which is a shame because we love the piano bar.

So short story long, finding out on our last cruise that it merely took a Lincoln to get your song played immediately and with gusto, I was a happy camper. And it is another reason why I enjoy sailing on Carnival.

That we are much better off bringing a 12 pack of coke on-board with us than purchasing bottomless bubbles. The wait at the bar was often ridiculous and that was to receive a sometimes flat half a can of coke. Insulated tumbler and a twelve pack in the room for us from now on.

• Like 1

On my last cruise and I learned that the safety briefing is miserable and useless. Outside in 90° weather, but out of the sun at least. The problem was we were on time and thus against the wall 4 lines of people in front or us deep. Could not see anything as the instructor was putting a vest on a bear.

What are the penalties of skipping the ship wide safety drill and doing the one in the theater instead? At most now I know where the life boats are and nothing else.

Otherwise the current setup regards the wrong behavior of waiting until the last second inside before joining the drill. Get close to the door, closer to the breeze and not stuffed 5 people deep. Worst experience on a safety drill yet.

On my last cruise and I learned that the safety briefing is miserable and useless. Outside in 90° weather, but out of the sun at least. The problem was we were on time and thus against the wall 4 lines of people in front or us deep. Could not see anything as the instructor was putting a vest on a bear.

What are the penalties of skipping the ship wide safety drill and doing the one in the theater instead? At most now I know where the life boats are and nothing else.

Otherwise the current setup regards the wrong behavior of waiting until the last second inside before joining the drill. Get close to the door, closer to the breeze and not stuffed 5 people deep. Worst experience on a safety drill yet.

The penalties are that the ship will not debark , and in fact the muster drill will not end, until you are in your assigned muster station. You cannot choose where you want to attend the safety drill, as the assigned location is where you would be expected to go if there were an emergency. The best you can do is for your next cruise, attempt to research which cabin has which muster station and pick the cabins that muster in the theater or other indoor venue.

The penalties are that the ship will not debark , and in fact the muster drill will not end, until you are in your assigned muster station. You cannot choose where you want to attend the safety drill, as the assigned location is where you would be expected to go if there were an emergency. The best you can do is for your next cruise, attempt to research which cabin has which muster station and pick the cabins that muster in the theater or other indoor venue.

For the Glory it seemed as if all of the muster stations are outside. They did offer for all of those that missed the drill to head to the theater for a personal demonstration. Seems like a much better approach then dealing with the crowds and heat. It really was disorganized and a terrible drill practice . Having to pass your S&S card up through the crowd only needing to scan 1 card per cabin.

It really did seem as if missing it had no real consecunce outside of a better experience.

I learned on my last cruise a week ago that after Carnival decided to not deliver alcohol bought on board to your room last night before debarkation, and sales dropped, that they now raised the prices by approximately 40% to make up the loss. :confused:

I learned most of the smaller Asian women who man these drills do not like to wear the ball caps they are given. I have yet to see one with the cap pulled down all the way on their head. It usually sits right on top of their hair. I laugh every time I see this.

The difference between Carnival excursions and independent excursions is typically like night and day. I wouldn't go on a Carnival excursion if you paid me.

I've done both, think you are really exaggerating.

Done both many times. Completely agree that cruise line excursion are a waste of time and money.

I learned on my last cruise that cruising solo... is amazing! Not that I do not like cruising with my partner.. but solo is pretty fantastic.

On our last cruise I learned that newer and bigger ISN'T better.

We sailed Fascination in February, 2018. This was my 24th Carnival cruise on 15 different ships.)

I loved the layout on Lido buffet. The crew was fantastic. The ship never felt crowded.

Vista is my least favorite Carnival ship.

Granted most of my cruises have been on Fantasy class, but they are still my favorite ships and I haven't had a bad cruise on one of them yet! :)

The ship I sailed was the Fascination. What a vacation that was! I absolutely plan on doing that itinerary again.

I have a Sensation cruise coming shortly. After that though, I may give Fantasy class a break for a while. It was better than I thought, but not my favorite. I need dive-in movies, fridge in my room, and the steakhouse. If they can fit those in, sign me up! I did really hate the lido deck layout. That stage is way too big and the lack of the big screen takes away from the experience.

I learned that as JCPenney, Sears, Macy's, and others struggle . . . somehow Park West keeps on going, even on short sailings. Rather amazing realization.

This really gave me a chuckle! Thank you!

That we are much better off bringing a 12 pack of coke on-board with us than purchasing bottomless bubbles. The wait at the bar was often ridiculous and that was to receive a sometimes flat half a can of coke. Insulated tumbler and a twelve pack in the room for us from now on.

CCL rookie here! So we are allowed one bottle of wine AND one 12-pk of soda to bring aboard? :cool::cool:Thanks in advance!

We learned that Steve's Steakhouse/Maggie's Blue Rose in Catalina Island is an awesome place to eat. Steaks are upstairs, Mexican food and the bar are downstairs.

We learned that a lazy CD who hangs out in the Piano Bar 99% of the time doesn't wreck a cruise by any means, but does affect how enjoyable the shipboard entertainment is (she apparently no longer works for Carnival, so I won't say her name).

We learned a lot of other things... from the Behind the Fun tour. Highly recommended.

CCL rookie here! So we are allowed one bottle of wine AND one 12-pk of soda to bring aboard? :cool::cool:Thanks in advance!

I'm also a first timer - to answer your question, Yes....everyone can bring 12 cans of sodas & those of age can bring 1 bottle of wine. Two adults & one child= 2 bottles of wine & 36 can drinks :D

I learned that tipping the Serenity Deck crew generously on the first request resulted in them knowing our names the entire cruise and waiting us hand and foot. :-) Taking a bunch of $1 bills and using them for tipping and seeing the bartenders be delighted also delighted me :-)

I learned on my last cruise a week ago that after Carnival decided to not deliver alcohol bought on board to your room last night before debarkation, and sales dropped, that they now raised the prices by approximately 40% to make up the loss. :confused:
Last cruise i was on they now delivered to your room once again. No need to worry about prices, Carnival will price match, snap picture at store in Port and have them match.

It may not be something I learned,but experienced on my last cruise. On a cruise on the Dream 2 years ago, I took time to get to know some of the crew I encountered on a regular basis. Last week on the Liberty, we saw one of the crew members from the Dream. When she saw us, she came running over and gave us a big hug. The rest of the cruise we got to rekindle the friendship!