What did you learn on your last Carnival cruise?

marshhawk

Hmmm...we were in Cozumel on August 17th and bought some T-Shirts, a few Mountain Dews and a few other things and nobody ever asked us for our S&S cards.

I bought some excellent chocolate inside the terminal building and had to show my passport - for about $4 worth of chocolate!! I was certainly mystified and a bit miffed until it was finally explained in terms I could understand: inside the terminal is tax and duty free, therefore local residents cannot purchase anything. Outside the terminal is NOT tax and duty free, they don’t care if you’re local or not - youre paying local tax. An ah-hah moment.

I really appreciate all the additional learning experiences. Especially about people cheating on trivia. I always thought they did, but I never wanted to say anything. I play, and find out how dumb I really am. About insignificant things.;)

How do they cheat? (I never went to a trivia game.) Is it the honor system to report score??

Since it had been a few years since our last cruise, I was dismayed to learn that Carnival no longer offers taking your luggage to the airport when you disembark. :( This was one thing I was way willing to pay for. If I don't have to see my luggage again until I get home, that was fine with me.

They are offering Port Valet on our current 8 day Alaska from Seattle. There is no charge for the service. You do pay for your airline baggage fees, if applicable. We are delighted! No bag drag for us! :)

I learned that Blue Iguana Burritos makes the best TACOS ever! I loved the burritos but the tacos are even better. I also found out that they make their own taco shells fresh right in front of you during their open hours. Wish I had one right now [emoji39]

Our last cruise was our first and we learned that cruising will be the only way we travel from now on. We booked our next cruise (we sail Sept. 16) within a month of getting back from our Eastern Caribbean cruise in May. I also learned that I packed too much the first time around. We also learned to avoid Diamonds International like the plague. Bottomless Bubbles is a waste of money. We also learned that cruising together brought us even closer as a married couple. We celebrated 40 years together on the cruise in May.

• Like 2

How do they cheat? (I never went to a trivia game.) Is it the honor system to report score??

Yes. The most fun my wife and friends had at one of the 70’s music one’s was when someone who cheated right next to me tied. We had a live tie breaker and I beat him.

Maybe I was the “cheater “ since I’ve owned a side business as a wedding DJ since 2000.

I learned that the ship's infirmary was great. My husband had to evacuated while in port at Grand Cayman. The shipboard staff were all incredible. The port agent that was there to "help" me was useless. The hospital was excellent and had a room for me to stay in. (this is coming from an old ER/ICU Nurse). Always have trip insurance and even on Medicare apply to your supplemental medical insurance - they paid for part of the hospital costs.

Yes. The most fun my wife and friends had at one of the 70’s music one’s was when someone who cheated right next to me tied. We had a live tie breaker and I beat him.

Maybe I was the “cheater “ since I’ve owned a side business as a wedding DJ since 2000.

How can someone cheat on music trivia? The internet on the ship is way too slow for an app like Shazam to work.

How can someone cheat on music trivia? The internet on the ship is way too slow for an app like Shazam to work.

You "grade" your own paper, so I'm guessing people just right in the correct answer. Plus, I've never seen the host verify their answers on the sheet.

I'm not sure if you've played before, but they pass out small answer sheets and pencils. Then the song selections are played and you write down the correct title.

Once the songs are played you check your answers. The group that cheated corrected the answer sheet during the grading time. Amazingly, they got them all correct.

We were the only ones to do so, hence a playoff of sorts where the first one to get the song being played shouted out the answer.

Make sense? The ship on a stick went to a kid at the theater sitting next to us who was fascinated with it.

I'm not sure if you've played before, but they pass out small answer sheets and pencils. Then the song selections are played and you write down the correct title.

Once the songs are played you check your answers. The group that cheated corrected the answer sheet during the grading time. Amazingly, they got them all correct.

We were the only ones to do so, hence a playoff of sorts where the first one to get the song being played shouted out the answer.

Make sense? The ship on a stick went to a kid at the theater sitting next to us who was fascinated with it.

I frequently play trivia and I have never witnessed that, but I also don’t watch to see what other players are doing either. I just have fun playing and really don’t care about the stick on a ship or the medals that they give out to winners. Probably the best line I ever heard from a Fun Squad guy who hosted numerous trivia games during a cruise last year was...”if you feel the need to cheat at trivia on a cruise, you have serious issues”. I think most people are there just to have fun, but I have no problem believing what you witnessed.

Cruise #14; After doing my 2nd 14 day plus cruise; These cruises are full of Princess cruises people. Average age was 60; it was so slow getting from on thing to another. I missed kid's misbehaving.. Also they where wearing lanyards with there prefered cruise line. plenty of RCL & Princess ones. I wouldn'd wear a Carnival Lanyard or T-Shirt on another cruise line.. Oh older people cheat more in trivia too more then young..

Why not I've seen carnival lanyards and t shirts on other lines.they don't care they just want your money just like carnival.

When you have the drink package you drink a whole lot more in the beginning of the week versus the end of the week. It's not cost effective, you just cannot keep up that pace.

Your problem is you have no stamina. You need to get a good pace going and keep it up. If you can't handle drinking on a 7 or 8 day cruise, you might want to stick to the 3 or 4 day cruises. Just kidding...

• Like 1

I learned how very nice an interior room is! Booked another today.:D

I really wish I could get DH to learn that! I've never had an issue with staying in interior cabins on my first 4 cruises, and I feel we really don't spend enough time in the cabin to need a view, but DH likes having the natural light from it, so...yeah.

Hi Marshhawk. I hope you and hubbie are doing good.

On our last cruise...

I learned the weather is not always perfect in the Bahamas, including Half Moon. We still enjoyed it though.

I learned that a simple hotdog from the deli is a good meal amongst all the other stuff.

I learned that if you venture off the beaten path at Grand Turk you risk being carried away by a flock of skeeters.

I learned that the cabanas are a good place to lick your wounds and look at the awesome blue water at GT.

I learned (well reminded) at Amber Cove during the SxS excursion going through a local neighborhood that my wife and I are truly blessed and thankful.

Cruise #6. I learned that the hot chocolate on the Breeze is very good. But hard for me to drink hot liquids when it is 90* outside. Also learned that I have been correct in never buying FTTF (more of a reinforcement I guess). I also learned that when cruising becomes familiar and routine, it must be time to try some other vacations for a couple years.

Hot chocolate PLUS some frozen soft serve makes a delicious "Frozen Hot Chocolate" Problem Solved

It is a honor system. And if you listen closely you will hear them saying they are cheating. On our last cruise playing sports trivia, the question was he is the King of Racing. The correct answer of course is Richard Petty. The guy a table over from us hand answered simply Jr. Then said to his wife I get credit for that cause know one knows who this Petty guy is.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Forums mobile app

I learned on the Vista in July that there are included crafts for adults in sea days in the library.

i love crafts! They quick but fun, aiming to be completed in a hour.

I made a beaded lanyard, a nautical bracelet, and a dream catcher that I didn't keep but it was fun.

I frequently play trivia and I have never witnessed that, but I also don’t watch to see what other players are doing either. I just have fun playing and really don’t care about the stick on a ship or the medals that they give out to winners. Probably the best line I ever heard from a Fun Squad guy who hosted numerous trivia games during a cruise last year was...”if you feel the need to cheat at trivia on a cruise, you have serious issues”. I think most people are there just to have fun, but I have no problem believing what you witnessed.

We saw a man and his daughter cheating at every game we saw them at. For the first game of trivia we were at with them, the girl arrived after the first four questions had been asked. Then said her score was 19. Next game she claimed her score was again 19 and she "had only missed two." Both were 20 question games. She was probably ten years old. After the family picture scavenger hunt, the dad was belligerent with the staff for saying that a couple of their pictures didn't count. He yelled at her and caused a scene until she gave in. All that for a ship on a stick.