Viking Romantic Danube

rubyslippers13

Viking is the most deceptive company I have ever dealt with. I have traveled extensively and this was the worst. A bus trip is what we had! Promises, promises. Could not sail had to be bused for HOURS. We paid for a balcony could not use that, because other ships docked right on top if us. Come on VIKING,you could be honest and offfer something better that the cheerleader gave us. It was the Romantic Danube!! Buyer beware. I expect some compensation for this 50th Anniversary trip. We just got home August 25th and I’m outraged

Viking is the most deceptive company I have ever dealt with. I have traveled extensively and this was the worst. A bus trip is what we had! Promises, promises. Could not sail had to be bused for HOURS. We paid for a balcony could not use that, because other ships docked right on top if us. Come on VIKING,you could be honest and offfer something better that the cheerleader gave us. It was the Romantic Danube!! Buyer beware. I expect some compensation for this 50th Anniversary trip. We just got home August 25th and I’m outraged

I’m sorry your cruise did not live up to your expectations. Unfortunately the issues you experienced happens frequently on River Cruises. The rafting issue is an every day occurrence and the “bus trip” issues occur less frequently but are due to high or low water issues in the river. I hope your issues are resolved to your satisfaction. My comments are directed at those who are researching river cruises for the first time. Do your homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to better understand the trajectory and history of this thread. Did someone comment on a 5+ year old anti-Viking post thus bumping it back to current status?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to better understand the trajectory and history of this thread. Did someone comment on a 5+ year old anti-Viking post thus bumping it back to current status?

Maybe there are still on the bus.

The new OP from today was theie first post on CC probably don't know how to start a new thread.

rubyslippers13, I’m sorry you feel like you were deceived however if you read more posts you’ll find Viking is only one of quite a few river cruise lines who have and are being affected due to low water. Yes, rafting along side another ship happens but since there are so many ships affected perhaps that’s why there were so many. Happy anniversary.

We are currently considering a river cruise. Can someone please explain “rafting”?

Due to limited dock space, ships often tie to each other instead of to a dock in port. This means you might have ships "stacked" 2, 3 or 4 deep. i.e. you look out your balcony/window expecting to see either the river or the shoreline, but instead you see another boat smack dab against your boat. My understanding is that passengers on the outer boats must come through the adjacent boats to get ashore.

My understanding is that passengers on the outer boats must come through the adjacent boats to get ashore.

... sometimes it is over rather than 'through', depends on construction and security.

So being able to go up and down stairs is an asset...

Coming through the lobbies is reasonably simple. However, sometimes you have to go up to the sun deck and cross from one ship to another at that level which generally means ramps up or down. This doesn’t usually occur on Viking where their ships are likely rafted together, and since they are all the same you would use the lobbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! So this only happens when docked?

Yes, but...

Check your itinerary as unlike sea cruises you don't tend to spend a lot of time moving on the river in daylight...

There are notable exceptions, but generally on those stages that are done in daylight you will want to be on the upper decks where you can see both sides of the river.

Net result is that you don't get all that much time to spend on a balcony enjoying the view...