Explorer: F1 or F2

poss

Am I correct that the only reason one might choose F1 is if the remaining cabins in F2 seemed unsatisfactory for one reason or another (say, too far forward)? A cruise I'm looking at has only F1 available, and I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea of paying more for an identical cabin.

Speaking of "identical": I read hear and there that the cabins/suites in F1 and F2 actually aren't identical, e.g. some balconies are more narrow than others, some have that angled balcony (which we had on our Norway cruise), some balconies are significantly deeper than the "regular" ones, etc. Does anyone know anything about these variances?

One drawback for us on Explorer was that even though we had that nice angled balcony, the view out seemed more constricted than on Voyager and Mariner; the space of the glass doors seemed more narrow. I guess there's no way to get around that.

Thanks.

Am I correct that the only reason one might choose F1 is if the remaining cabins in F2 seemed unsatisfactory for one reason or another (say, too far forward)? A cruise I'm looking at has only F1 available, and I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea of paying more for an identical cabin.

Speaking of "identical": I read hear and there that the cabins/suites in F1 and F2 actually aren't identical, e.g. some balconies are more narrow than others, some have that angled balcony (which we had on our Norway cruise), some balconies are significantly deeper than the "regular" ones, etc. Does anyone know anything about these variances?

One drawback for us on Explorer was that even though we had that nice angled balcony, the view out seemed more constricted than on Voyager and Mariner; the space of the glass doors seemed more narrow. I guess there's no way to get around that.

Thanks.

We have two cruises booked on the Explorer. Both are in F2 category cabins. There are 4 cabins with angled balconies in the F2 category (912, 911, 816 and 817) and we were lucky enough to snag one of those for both cruises. I have never sailed on the Explorer yet so can't tell you if they are much better than the standard balcony, but I heard they are usually the first to be taken. As far as any difference in the F1 category, I think location is the only difference with the F2's being more forward on the ship as you have stated. You could always book the F1 and periodically check for a F2 cancellation.

Hi poss - good to read that you are considering Explorer again. In terms of the F1 and F2 suites, the only difference that I noticed was the balcony and you can see which ones have the larger balconies from the Regent website. If you look ate this deck https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=domaindev&hsimp=yhs-st_emea&p=do+hand+sanitizers+promote+super+bugs&type=dhm_A0GJW_ext_bsf__alt__ddc_srch_searchpulse_net you clearly see how the balconies for the concierge suites are larger than the F1 suites except for 846 and 847 where the balcony starts gets larger.

Personally, on Explorer I would rather be forward than aft - only because the aft elevators do not go to deck 4.

Hi poss - good to read that you are considering Explorer again. In terms of the F1 and F2 suites, the only difference that I noticed was the balcony and you can see which ones have the larger balconies from the Regent website. If you look ate this deck https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=domaindev&hsimp=yhs-st_emea&p=do+hand+sanitizers+promote+super+bugs&type=dhm_A0GJW_ext_bsf__alt__ddc_srch_searchpulse_net you clearly see how the balconies for the concierge suites are larger than the F1 suites except for 846 and 847 where the balcony starts gets larger.

Personally, on Explorer I would rather be forward than aft - only because the aft elevators do not go to deck 4.

Couldn't get to the deck plan with the link you provided Jackie. I see where the Concierge cabins have larger balconies than the F1 and F2 categories.

https://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer

IMO, the larger balcony on most of the F-2's is more than a waste of space, it limits your ocean views. The balconies are deeper, thus cutting off the view down and to the sides, when you are inside looking out. Think of being deeper in a cave, looking out. There is a small advantage in that there is less cache of sunlight reaching your balcony door, thus keeping the room cooler.

J

IMO, the larger balcony on most of the F-2's is more than a waste of space, it limits your ocean views. The balconies are deeper, thus cutting off the view down and to the sides, when you are inside looking out. Think of being deeper in a cave, looking out. There is a small advantage in that there is less cache of sunlight reaching your balcony door, thus keeping the room cooler.

J

So does that mean all cabins with deeper balconies, such as Concierge Cabins (and above) have limited views when you are inside looking out?

Well, I've certainly appreciated the various input, and I find what JMARINER mentioned especially interesting. We were in 817 (angled) last time, and I didn't especially notice that detail. (I did very much feel, as noted already, that the view was more narrow than on the other ships in same category, just not as much glass. It's odd that I haven't seen this point made in other posts. Perhaps I'm simply incorrect about the width of those doors?)

I agree with what Tc said about not wanting to be aft on Explorer, but I've also read that forward tends to feel the rolling of the ocean more on Explorer. I wonder how far forward that means? Just the very most forward suites, or back some as well? We thought 817 was fine and dandy, but what about 810? 812? I know, I know — difficult to say.

Btw, suite 749 (F1) also has angled balcony and is nice and mid-ship. I just can't get my head around paying all that extra for an F1, when F2's are essentially the same. And of course now I'm second-guessing the idea of angled balcony.

Many thanks for your responses. Lots to consider, but obviously minor issues compared to "real" ones. I should probably just flip a coin.

(Mainly I'm trying to decide between the Southamptonton-Southampton cruise and the one right after, Southampton-Stockholm. Have been several times to all the ports on the Stockholm itinerary, but the London roundtrip has some ports which don't seem very interesting, and even one where there are no excursions, viz. Greenock. With all the great ports in Scotland, why Greenock??)

Poss, I do totally agree with you about the lack of glass in the F1, F2, and Concierge suites. I don't understand why they put a wall in between the window and the slider. Hopefully they will rectify it on the Splendor but am guessing they won't.

tnr: Thanks for ringing in. It seemed odd to me that given the fact that Regent CC'ers comment on all sorts of details about the ships (so helpful), I'd never seen a comment about that restricted viewing. Glad/sad to hear my impression confirmed.

(Mainly I'm trying to decide between the Southamptonton-Southampton cruise and the one right after, Southampton-Stockholm. Have been several times to all the ports on the Stockholm itinerary, but the London roundtrip has some ports which don't seem very interesting, and even one where there are no excursions, viz. Greenock. With all the great ports in Scotland, why Greenock??)

Poss,

Greenock is the port for Glasgow, Scotland and is used by major cruise lines. The Explorer is in port for 12 - 14 hours. The no excursion note makes no sense. Has your TA contacted Regent about this?

Hi Dave-- thanks for ringing in. I spoke with an agent I like at Regent (haven't contacted TA), and she felt sure that excursions would be listed for that port by time of selection possibility. Said that Greenock is fairly new port for Regent.

cAPS: But Glasgow is a bit away from Greenock (an hour?) Thus one spends quite a bit of time getting to excursions from this port, at least that's the way it seems to me. I'm not real interested in Glasgow, having been there before, but there are sights out in the country, castles, etc. that I think we'd enjoy. Presumably they will be offered — though, again, this definitely seems like a port where one will need to do some bussing to see the sights.

I think you are right about the need to bus around from Greenock. There used to be some very good local tours run by volunteers in Greenock which were very popular, mainly because they were free. Might not be so now though.

If the Southampton to Southampton itinerary is the one that I think it is then one of the lesser known ports of call is Portland in Dorset. That is the part of England where I grew up so if you need any information on the area then I would be pleased to oblige.

PS My DW would of course assert that I have yet to grow up....

tnr: Thanks for ringing in. It seemed odd to me that given the fact that Regent CC'ers comment on all sorts of details about the ships (so helpful), I'd never seen a comment about that restricted viewing. Glad/sad to hear my impression confirmed.

poss,

You are quite correct about the lack of glass in the D, E & F suites compared to other Regent ships.

Post 4 on this comparison thread has photos showing the issue.

However, the F2 suites are still excellent and personally I would not bother to move up to an F1 unless you are very particular about location; we like being towards the front of the Explorer.

Oh, wow, flossie — that photo sure does remind me of how small that door-to-balcony space is compared to the other ships. I continue to find it odd that it rarely gets remarked. I have the choice of an F1 angled balcony 749 or an F2 706. I wish I knew whether the 706 is far enough from the very front so that we wouldn't feel the rolling motion in "normal" seas. It is interesting to note that those forward suites are the last to go — I'm thinking there must be some reason, no?

Yes, John, Portland is indeed one of the ports on that itinerary. If we ever get around to booking ( I sure hope so!), I will ask you which of the excursions you think might be most scenic/interesting.

Thanks, flossie and John.

We have been as forward as you can get on Explorer but were also on a very high (deck 12) and were doing a transatlantic cruise. We definitely felt the motion a lot in that suite. However, I would not hesitate to book 706 as it is a much lower deck and not as far forward as we were. Depending upon when the cruise is, you could book 706 and waitlist a mid-ship suite.

So does that mean all cabins with deeper balconies, such as Concierge Cabins (and above) have limited views when you are inside looking out?

I mis-wrote.

I meant the F1's and F2's have a shallower balconies than the same sized Concierge cabins.

F2. F1,Concierge D &Concierge E; all have the same sized cabin of 332 ft2 (30.8 m2). Only the balconies are different depth. The F2 & F1 are about 6 1/2 feet deep (2m) the Concierges are about 9 1/2 feet deep (3m). That extra 3 feet of depth does cut off the ocean views when looking out the windows from inside.

IMO get the lowest price F2 (or F1) that you can. The Concierge are not worth the extra money.

Note that a few F category cabins have the angled balcony, locations as discussed above.

J

PS Can anyone tell me why CC posts can not be edited for more than a few minutes after posting.

Certainly hope that the sliding doors on F1 and F2 suites will have wider sliding doors or two sets, which would be great on Splendor. The little window is a waste. You really can’t see too well from the bed or the sofa. It’s a bad design that needs correction. The rest of the suite is great!

Sheila

As far as I know, the only suites that will have a change are the PH suites (which I believe really needed it). We do not typically stay in smaller suites but did twice on Explorer and loved them. The bathroom is so fabulous that I don't mind the idiosyncrasies.

Certainly hope that the sliding doors on F1 and F2 suites will have wider sliding doors or two sets, which would be great on Splendor. The little window is a waste. You really can’t see too well from the bed or the sofa. It’s a bad design that needs correction. The rest of the suite is great!

Sheila

I wish so too, however dont have much hope. I never could put my finger on what I didnt like about the Explorer F2, and its exactly that ridiculous small window, separated by a wall from the sliding door. However, it hasnt detracted me from booking another F2 for my next Explorer cruise, as well as in Splendor. Its a shame they designed it that way.