Full Suite embarkation Day

Gracie115

Just so you know....you are in line with all the elites and there are hundreds. Wedding parties are first on, then first come first serve, elite, suite, however you are in line. Know this from experience.

You can also enjoy your first lunch on board in the Club Class dining room!

Are reservations necessary for this particular lunch? Or does one just wander on into the CC dining room whenever the urge strikes after boarding?

You forgot wheelchairs. We were on a LA/Tahiti/LA cruise many years ago. There was a lengthy delay. We stayed at the hotel until 1:30 or so. The terminal was packed. We are elite and were in the grand suite so we were told to get right in line. When we got to the gang plank they stopped us, while it seemed like 20 wheelchairs and their families and friends went onto the ship in fron if us. I won't get into it but we saw a good number of the wheelchair people dancing like made and running around the decks. The last guy actually jumped out of the wheelchair in front of us and ran to the back of the ship. We heard he ran up to the Sactuary to reserve loungers.

Makes you mad when some people cheat the system and the truly deserving people get a bad rap.

Depends on the day but we find it is much more relaxing to go to port around 2pm.

My daughter has a mobility problem, so she does use wheelchair embarkation assistance. She can walk short distances using braces and a walker, but for long distances or hills, the chair is a great help and often a necessity.

I have two points to make. First, I am well aware that there are people who "cheat," and there is no question that it is wrong. Secondly, you cannot tell by looking at a person what their status might be. She has been accosted and yelled at for parking in a handicap spot WITH an appropriate tag on her car. In fact, she suggested that the woman yelling at her should call the cops--she'd be happy to show the police the documentation proving that it was HER tag, not grandma's that she was illegally using..but that she wasn't going to discuss her medical situation with an irrational woman.

I've never seen a line of wheelchairs boarding on Princess. In fact, the usual is that there are far fewer "pushers" than there are people needing assistance. People requesting wheelchair assistance are kept in a "holding area." After a while, anywhere from 3 to about 6 crew will show up with wheelchairs, and each will take one guest. There is sometimes an elevator involved, and those elevators will only hold one or two chairs at a time. Most of the "groups" are 2 people--one in the chair and one with them. But in fairness, there was a family of about 12 on our last cruise with one elderly grandma using assistance. The person directing the chairs told the family to take the escalator and meet the chair at the top. We have currently done 9 on Princess, and only once did the wheelchair pusher cut into a line--most of the time, the suite and elite boarding was done before they got around to assist OR (in Japan) the assist area was boarded first, before boarding opened to elites and suites. That could be argued as a wrong thing, but it was Japan where standards are somewhat different and elderly are seriously respected. When we "cut" a line, it was just that--2 of us being taken by a crew member. Yes, I'd probably be miffed if I was in a line that was "cut" by a parade of 20 wheelchairs, but that's never been our experience. And typically we've waited while others have boarded as we need to wait for the pushers, even though we were in a suite and may have been eligible for "priority" boarding. FWIW, there is no priority in the wheelchair area--you are taken in the order in which you checked in.

As the parent of a legitimate HA assist user, we would gladly trade standing in line for an hour rather than my daughter having all the issues that go along with her condition....wish that were possible.

But, I do totally agree that someone who does not need the assistance should not be using it, and your example of someone jumping out of a chair and running to the Sanctuary is highly suspicious. Sorry that these jerks were allowed to delay your boarding.

Club Class dining for lunch is open from 12-1:30 with no wait for seating and no one will try to tell you to go to the buffet (as they do to people who don't have CC who opt for the dining room lunch!) And it is a lovely way to start the cruise, whether or not rooms are available upon boarding.

The line for priority boarding may be non-existent or may be quite significant depending on the number of elites booked on the cruise. Bottom line, you'll be allowed to board before people with blue cards.

This South Pacific cruise was one of the first that no air was needed - majority were California people who could drive to port. I think we actually got to port just as they allowed people to board. That is probably why there were so many chairs right away. 90 percent elites.

I have had to use a wheelchair several times and understand what you are talking about. And I totally agree about not being able to tell someones status. I was in Disneyland watching the parade and I can't tell you how many times people moved right in front of me. I would ask them to move but someone else would just step in front of me. I have also seen people waiting for an elevator behind someone in a wheelchair and as soon as the doors open, they rush inside ahead of the chair. I have started saying something.

Sorry, I did not mean to get off topic. Just wanted to add that priority boarding is not always what you think or hope it might be.

Are reservations necessary for this particular lunch? Or does one just wander on into the CC dining room whenever the urge strikes after boarding?

I don't think this has anything to do with being in a suite as the Club Class dining room wasn't open for lunch on embarkation day. The other side of the dining room is open, though ... we were told anyone is allowed ... nothing special for suite passengers. Still, a very nice lunch but you must be in the door prior to 1:30, I believe. And if you go that late, they will be rushing you through lunch. Best to get in by noon if you can.

I don't think this has anything to do with being in a suite as the Club Class dining room wasn't open for lunch on embarkation day. The other side of the dining room is open, though ... we were told anyone is allowed ... nothing special for suite passengers. Still, a very nice lunch but you must be in the door prior to 1:30, I believe. And if you go that late, they will be rushing you through lunch. Best to get in by noon if you can.

Now I’m really confused!😟

Club Class is open for those who are in a CC mini or a suite. There is a section of the regular dining room also open for lunch--no reservations needed. However, it is not unusual to ask which dining room is open and be told "none" and directed to the buffet. Don't believe it. One dining room is open for lunch until 1:30.

In our 3 cruises with Club Class' date=' it has been open for embarkation lunch each time--no reservations are used.[/quote']

That's great....we don't enjoy the buffet area on embarkation day at all, this is a much better option!!

My daughter has a mobility problem' date=' so she does use wheelchair embarkation assistance. She can walk short distances using braces and a walker, but for long distances or hills, the chair is a great help and often a necessity.

I have two points to make. First, I am well aware that there are people who "cheat," and there is no question that it is wrong. Secondly, you cannot tell by looking at a person what their status might be. She has been accosted and yelled at for parking in a handicap spot WITH an appropriate tag on her car. In fact, she suggested that the woman yelling at her should call the cops--she'd be happy to show the police the documentation proving that it was HER tag, not grandma's that she was illegally using..but that she wasn't going to discuss her medical situation with an irrational woman.

I've never seen a line of wheelchairs boarding on Princess. In fact, the usual is that there are far fewer "pushers" than there are people needing assistance. People requesting wheelchair assistance are kept in a "holding area." After a while, anywhere from 3 to about 6 crew will show up with wheelchairs, and each will take one guest. There is sometimes an elevator involved, and those elevators will only hold one or two chairs at a time. Most of the "groups" are 2 people--one in the chair and one with them. But in fairness, there was a family of about 12 on our last cruise with one elderly grandma using assistance. The person directing the chairs told the family to take the escalator and meet the chair at the top. We have currently done 9 on Princess, and only once did the wheelchair pusher cut into a line--most of the time, the suite and elite boarding was done before they got around to assist OR (in Japan) the assist area was boarded first, before boarding opened to elites and suites. That could be argued as a wrong thing, but it was Japan where standards are somewhat different and elderly are seriously respected. When we "cut" a line, it was just that--2 of us being taken by a crew member. Yes, I'd probably be miffed if I was in a line that was "cut" by a parade of 20 wheelchairs, but that's never been our experience. And typically we've waited while others have boarded as we need to wait for the pushers, even though we were in a suite and may have been eligible for "priority" boarding. FWIW, there is no priority in the wheelchair area--you are taken in the order in which you checked in.

As the parent of a legitimate HA assist user, we would gladly trade standing in line for an hour rather than my daughter having all the issues that go along with her condition....wish that were possible.

But, I do totally agree that someone who does not need the assistance should not be using it, and your example of someone jumping out of a chair and running to the Sanctuary is highly suspicious. Sorry that these jerks were allowed to delay your boarding.

Club Class dining for lunch is open from 12-1:30 with no wait for seating and no one will try to tell you to go to the buffet (as they do to people who don't have CC who opt for the dining room lunch!) And it is a lovely way to start the cruise, whether or not rooms are available upon boarding.

The line for priority boarding may be non-existent or may be quite significant depending on the number of elites booked on the cruise. Bottom line, you'll be allowed to board before people with blue cards.[/quote']

I fully agree with what you posted. As a wife of a 73 year old cancer patient who can stand and walk a bit but cannot walk distances or go up stairs or hills well, I appreciate the assistance given and most the time I am walk/running behind the pushers because they just grab and go with the wheelchair. :-)

We have gotten looks and sneers because my husband looks normal except he is now all of 115 Lbs. I really do not care. I will do what ever it takes to make sure he has an enjoyable cruise and if someone has a problem or wonders about it then just come up and politely ask. I will graciously tell you why he is in a wheelchair.

Just so you know....you are in line with all the elites and there are hundreds. Wedding parties are first on, then first come first serve, elite, suite, however you are in line. Know this from experience.

I had a different experience my cruise in the beginning of August. We were met by a bartender from Explorers who took us directly to our suite and we were able to bypass the line. Never even had to sit in the platinum/suite/elite lounge.

I had a different experience my cruise in the beginning of August. We were met by a bartender from Explorers who took us directly to our suite and we were able to bypass the line. Never even had to sit in the platinum/suite/elite lounge.

Lucky you...We have been doing suites forever and never once had that. Even when going with my mom and she was in a wheelchair and also stayed in a suite. Did not have that.