17" Laptop

ddpe

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone been able to store a 17" laptop in the room safe? I have to take it for work due to the time period of my cruise. If it cannot be stored in the room safe, does the services desk have a safe?

ddpe

We have absolutely no worries leaving our lap top in the room. Usually just slip it in the dresser drawer when going out for the day, or if on the ship, just leave it on the desk with everything piled neat and tidy for the cabin crew to move around.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Unfortunately, against company policy to not leave in a safe.

Ugh.

Won’t the safe electronics effect the Lap top?

You would certainly be able to store an iPad in the safe due to its size, but we have always put ours in one of the drawers under clothes because of my fear of the electronics effecting it. I have had many a key card effected by my phone in the past, if carried in the same purse.

You would certainly be able to store an iPad in the safe due to its size, but we have always put ours in one of the drawers under clothes because of my fear of the electronics effecting it. I have had many a key card effected by my phone in the past, if carried in the same purse.

Safe electronics? Don't think there's much involved in a typical cruise ship safe. But it's moot anyways, since it won't fit. Perhaps the OP could bring his own safe!

Safe electronics? Don't think there's much involved in a typical cruise ship safe. But it's moot anyways, since it won't fit. Perhaps the OP could bring his own safe!
Or have his company issue a smaller laptop. Can't imagine lugging a 17 inch laptop on a business trip, safe or no safe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Other way around... We couldn't open our safe and first thing security asked is if we had an ipad in the safe? Problem was the safe, which was replaced, but they said the number 2 reason they have a safe problem is ipads that were not turned off . Number 1 is forgetting the code.

Other way around... We couldn't open our safe and first thing security asked is if we had an ipad in the safe? Problem was the safe, which was replaced, but they said the number 2 reason they have a safe problem is ipads that were not turned off . Number 1 is forgetting the code.

Ah! Interesting, who would have known, thanks.

[quote= Can't imagine lugging a 17 inch laptop on a business trip, safe or no safe.

While theft is always a possibility not many people traveling on an upscale cruise ship with access to your cabin would have any real interest in a 17 inch laptop - a slick smart phone maybe - but a big clunky laptop, I doubt it. Like others have said, just put it in a dresser drawer when you're out and about.

If you need some added piece of mind store it where some travelers store their laundry - in a piece of luggage that's under your bed. If you're not a big fan of crawling around when it's laptop time, store it under the life vests in your closet. Just remember it's there when it's time to go home :eek::eek:

While theft is always a possibility not many people traveling on an upscale cruise ship with access to your cabin would have any real interest in a 17 inch laptop - a slick smart phone maybe - but a big clunky laptop, I doubt it. Like others have said, just put it in a dresser drawer when you're out and about.

If you need some added piece of mind store it where some travelers store their laundry - in a piece of luggage that's under your bed. If you're not a big fan of crawling around when it's laptop time, store it under the life vests in your closet. Just remember it's there when it's time to go home :eek::eek:

The company the OP works for most likely has a policy similar to the one I work for.

It's not just the laptop itself that needs to be secure at all times, it's the sensitive information on the device that could potentially be compromised by someone else accessing it while it is not locked away.

I used to have an older laptop with an easily removable hard drive. Are such laptops still available? The hard drive from any laptop will easily fit in a cabin safe but let's face it, a cabin safe is designed to keep amateurs away from your valuables not skilled professional thief's searching for sensitive propitiatory company information. If our professions make any of us the target of such a thief that thief would look at a hotel or cruise ship room safe as nothing more than a mere irritant.

I doubt the OP, 'bbqoug', or likely any of us following this post will be stalked by such a thief but concerns for cyber security these days are real.

Don't let your concerns for your laptop mess up your trip. Hide your laptop out of view in your cabin and do what we're supposed to do on a cruise - enjoy yourself :D The exception would be if your ship is named SS Watergate :eek:

I wouldn't worry too much :D

Whatever alternative suggestions that anyone has offered is ignoring the fact that the OP's company REQUIRES that the computer be locked up. It does not matter if the requirement makes any sense or if the computer is completely safe if left in the cabin, it is apparently a condition of employment that the computer be locked up. My only suggestion is that the OP have a discussion w their employer as to any other possible arrangements that can be made,

DON

Whatever alternative suggestions that anyone has offered is ignoring the fact that the OP's company REQUIRES that the computer be locked up. It does not matter if the requirement makes any sense or if the computer is completely safe if left in the cabin, it is apparently a condition of employment that the computer be locked up. My only suggestion is that the OP have a discussion w their employer as to any other possible arrangements that can be made,

DON

What Don said (y)

Hi Everyone,

Wow, I really appreciate the thoughtful discussion provided. I believe the cable lock will be acceptable. I do not know why I did not think of that possibility. Also, removing the hard drive.

I will discuss with IT to see which they prefer. And for those with smaller laptops, they are great except that my eyes can't handle little screen anymore.