Getting from PE to West Palm Beach Airport

CruisersTimesThree

Posted this on the Fla departure board also, hoping maybe someone here might know.

Flights opened up yesterday for our return trip back to Long Island after our Silhouette cruise in March. Flights back were terrible timewise, pricewise and stopover times. I finally decided on a 10:15 flight out of FLL but now am fretting about actually making it even though we are in a suite and would probably be able to disembark by 7:30am. Plus with a stopover it will take 6 1/2 hours to get home.

I just checked Palm Beach airport and there is the perfect flight, non-stop 2 1/2 hours and leaves at 3pm.

Just googled and found out its 45 mins between the port and PBI.

What would be the best way to get there? Is there any service outside the Port Everglades cruiseport that would take people to Palm Beach? Any idea of cost?

Flying Southwest, so I believe I can change flights free of charge.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Second the suggestion for Uber. Although not with your destination, have used them several times between FLL and the Port of Miami. Uber (and Lyft) has a very large South FL presence and you will not have any issues with securing a pick up. Note that you can pre-reserve Uber for a pick up at Port Everglades, port to airport. (Airport to port, however, is through the standard pick up request method).

Thank you both for your suggestion. I figured Uber was the way to go. Have never used it before so I’ll need to research a bit about it. Will have quite a bit of luggage between 3 people. Would I order an Uber X or XL? Those would cost considerably more I’d guess?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you both for your suggestion. I figured Uber was the way to go. Have never used it before so I’ll need to research a bit about it. Will have quite a bit of luggage between 3 people. Would I order an Uber X or XL? Those would cost considerably more I’d guess?

Uber X would probably work. And yes, those levels are a little more $. But it is our preference instead of a cab for that distance and more convenient than a rental IMO.

I would check out South Florida Shuttles - the issue with Uber / Lyft is that we don't have the multiple sizes as readily available down here in south florida as other major cities

I can't challenge your response as you are an area resident, but whatever the ratio of availability is in south FL, in our experience we have not had any issues with X / XL availability the three or four times we have used Uber. Maybe we have just been fortunate. :)

Not to be missed is the new Brightline train. It is now in full service between Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.

You would need an Uber or taxi on both ends to get to/from the train stations. Reports are that it is quite popular, clean and new....and runs with enough frequency to get you to PBI with time to spare.

The other public transportation option is the Tri Rail...also a train, much more reasonably priced with an included shuttle from the WPB station to PBI. Still would need an Uber from the ship to the Tri Rail station.

The TriRail would be my choice, but I live here, know my way around and favor public transportation. We also travel light.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses!

I was able to change our flights to the 3 pm out of West Palm instead of the 10:15 at FLL and I also secured transportation from Larry's Limo.

Being the nervous Nellie that I am, I can now relax and look forward to our cruise!

We have flown out in and out of West Palm many times when visiting family either before or after a cruise. Small, almost stress free experience. Nothing compared to the chaos of FLL.

We have flown out in and out of West Palm many times when visiting family either before or after a cruise. Small, almost stress free experience. Nothing compared to the chaos of FLL.

We flew into West Palm from Long Island last Dec when we went down to visit family in Jupiter. It was a very pleasant experience comparing it to when we left out of Orlando to come home and car rental was a breeze there. I'm happy we were able to make the change to fly home from there post cruise, makes that morning stress-free now!

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses!

I was able to change our flights to the 3 pm out of West Palm instead of the 10:15 at FLL and I also secured transportation from Larry's Limo.

Being the nervous Nellie that I am, I can now relax and look forward to our cruise!

Best solution....will keep it in mind as we live on LI. Flights out of FLL are tough going,! Glad it will work with your flight schedule. Is that a non stop to ISP.? How much is the limo?

We always do better with a limo/ hired car service unless it's a short cab or shared shuttle ride with no time pressure.

Have seen very frustrated passengers at various airports more than once, trying to find out why the uber did not show...usually a miscommunication or language issue, but frustrating to those waiting with luggage at the curb!

Best solution....will keep it in mind as we live on LI. Flights out of FLL are tough going,! Glad it will work with your flight schedule. Is that a non stop to ISP.? How much is the limo?

We always do better with a limo/ hired car service unless it's a short cab or shared shuttle ride with no time pressure.

Have seen very frustrated passengers at various airports more than once, trying to find out why the uber did not show...usually a miscommunication or language issue, but frustrating to those waiting with luggage at the curb!

Yes, the flight from West Palm is a non stop. The car service with tip is $168, but worth every penny to me because now we don't have to sit in BWI for 3 and a half hours on a stopover! I could have 3 loads of vacation laundry done in that time!

Yes, the flight from West Palm is a non stop. The car service with tip is $168, but worth every penny to me because now we don't have to sit in BWI for 3 and a half hours on a stopover! I could have 3 loads of vacation laundry done in that time!

AMEN! Thanks for the info...we will look into this the next time we fly for a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale..

we go to Ft myers from ISP frequently.... going through BWI is a real drag esp when you get stuck there for hours on end!

Not to be missed is the new Brightline train. It is now in full service between Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.

You would need an Uber or taxi on both ends to get to/from the train stations. Reports are that it is quite popular, clean and new....and runs with enough frequency to get you to PBI with time to spare.

The other public transportation option is the Tri Rail...also a train, much more reasonably priced with an included shuttle from the WPB station to PBI. Still would need an Uber from the ship to the Tri Rail station.

The TriRail would be my choice, but I live here, know my way around and favor public transportation. We also travel light.

I second TriRail! have used it multiple times. Take taxi/uber to the station, purchase your tickets from the kiosk, sit back and wait for your train. Schedule is available at Tai-Rail.com. BE SURE TO GO TO THE NORTHBOUND TRACK which is NORMALLY the one on the east side of the dual track. But do check.

Try Captains Airport/Seaport aervice. 1-800-634-7890.

Much less than $168. We use them all the time. Very dependable.

Thanks for that info, I did check them out and their price was actually more expensive. Got a quote of $145 + 20% tip which is $173.

Thanks for that info, I did check them out and their price was actually more expensive. Got a quote of $145 + 20% tip which is $173.

I used the service to WPB airport and it was $119 for one person including tip.

I second TriRail! have used it multiple times. Take taxi/uber to the station' date=' purchase your tickets from the kiosk, sit back and wait for your train. Schedule is available at Tai-Rail.com. BE SURE TO GO TO THE NORTHBOUND TRACK which is NORMALLY the one on the east side of the dual track. But do check.[/quote']

Tri-Rail really? How much luggage do you have? Plus it takes forever with all the stops never would I travel with luggage and take the tri-rail or the new Bright line train and lug luggage around. I would have stuck with the FLL flight and get home much earlier even with the layover. From the cruise terminal to the airport is maybe 15 minutes with traffic on a Saturday or Sunday morning so you have more than enough time to fly out of FLL. But I am used to flying in and out of FLL so very comfortable in doing so.

Tri-Rail really? How much luggage do you have? Plus it takes forever with all the stops never would I travel with luggage and take the tri-rail or the new Bright line train and lug luggage around. I would have stuck with the FLL flight and get home much earlier even with the layover. From the cruise terminal to the airport is maybe 15 minutes with traffic on a Saturday or Sunday morning so you have more than enough time to fly out of FLL. But I am used to flying in and out of FLL so very comfortable in doing so.

The cruise returns on a Friday and the thought of having everything work like clockwork to make a 10:15 flight was too nerve-wracking for me. Too many things can delay us.

Plus flying out of FLL home would have been a 6 and a half hour journey home which included a three and a half hour layover and plane switch in BWI. A non stop would be two and a half hours. The only non stop is 8 pm and I don’t think after coming off a 12 night cruise we would enjoy hanging around waiting.

I am happy I switched to a non stop out of PBI. The cost of the car service is well worth it to us.