Toddlers in the Pool

Good on Royal Caribbean for not allowing toddlers in diapers or swimming diapers in the pool, but unfortunately this is now leading to parents brazenly bringing their non-toilet trained kids into the pool (and hot tub!) in just a bathing suit. I have seen 12 month old babies in the pool and when asked, the parents just smiled and said that he was toilet trained.

This past week, a baby pooped on the deck while playing near the kids' splash zone. At least it was not in the pool, but the kid wasn't even walking and was only in a bathing suit.

What would you do if you saw a baby that was clearly too young to be toilet trained in the pool, but the parents insisted that s/he was? Literally an accident waiting to happen :o

... What would you do if you saw a baby that was clearly too young to be toilet trained in the pool, but the parents insisted that s/he was? ...

Report it to the lifeguard. This is a serious public health issue.

• Like 1

Report it to the lifeguard. This is a serious public health issue.

You think a lifeguard would risk the backlash from an "offended" guest? Someone who is shameless enough to do such a thing would have no problem lying and saying their child is toilet trained - as I have seen.

You think a lifeguard would risk the backlash from an "offended" guest? Someone who is shameless enough to do such a thing would have no problem lying and saying their child is toilet trained - as I have seen.

I saw the "accident" happen in the beach pool on Oasis last year. As soon as the lifeguard noticed the "deposit" in the pool, everyone was ordered out and the pool was closed for hours until it was properly cleaned. Basically, the selfish people took that pool away from all the guests for one whole day.

Basically, the selfish people took that pool away from all the guests for one whole day.

Agreed!

Two pools were closed at the same time at one point this past week on Harmony, although I am not sure if kids were to blame for both.

Edited by Host Jacquelyn

I saw the "accident" happen in the beach pool on Oasis last year. As soon as the lifeguard noticed the "deposit" in the pool, everyone was ordered out and the pool was closed for hours until it was properly cleaned. Basically, the selfish people took that pool away from all the guests for one whole day.

I heard it was just a baby ruth candy bar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took our potty-training grandson to Oceans of Fun where we live with his 5 year old sister and he was in a swim diaper and plastic pants under his swim suit, which is what they asked parents to do. We vigilantly checked it, as well.

The cruise line does not let toddlers in a swim diaper and plastic pants in the pool and we would never have gone into the pool with him on a cruise. A year old baby should not be in the pool at all with his parents, much less in just a swim suit.

What a shame people are so irresponsible.

Unfortunately nothing new and isn't changing. First saw when these Swim Diapers first became popular 20 yrs ago. Would have tots in pool and Hot Tub. Pool had to close after accident on a busy sea day... My young kids hated salt water so was never an issue...

If I am allowed to take this thread off at a tangent. What is RCI's policy about breastfeeding a toddler in the pool?

The reason I am asking, is that a Stoke on Trent mother was literally feeding her child in the pool, at a local swimming pool, and has moaned to the press when she was asked to feed the child on the side of the pool.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mums-breastfeeding-babies-water-swimming-13108163

After reading this thread I don't think that I will ever go in public pool again. I never use the hot tubs anyway. Sitting in a bowl of boiling bacteria isn't my thing. It's not only toddler or infants that contaminate the water. I remember going to the public pool as a kid and some adolescent vomited in the pool which caused the pool to be closed for the the rest of the day. There is also a rise in popularity of adult diapers. Are they allowed in the pool? The better part of me wants to believe that a reasonable adult wouldn't even attempt to go in the pool if they had this condition but there seems to be an epidemic called entitlement running rapid these days.

This is why my DH and I do not go into any pool/hot tub on any ship.

We have never gotten Noro or any kind of stomach illness on any of the 15 cruises we have taken.

We've gone in the pool and hot tub on every cruise we've gone on, and have never gotten noro or any kind of stomach illness on any of our cruises.:confused:

While peeing in a pool isn't right...it doesn't carry the health hazards that pooping in a pool do. Even with a swim diaper/plastic pants, etc...the water in the pool is still going to mix with the contents of the diaper...and that creates an unsanitary situation. THAT'S the reason you must be toilet trained. Whether it's in the swim diaper or "free-floating" in the pool, it's just as dangerous to other's health!

As far as breast-feeding IN the pool? I wouldn't have done that...don't think it's a good idea at all...but I don't see harm to anyone but the baby...wouldn't want my child's mouth on something that's been covered with pool water!

We were in a Solarium pool and a parent was told that they had to remove their baby (still crawling) from the pool because he/she was in a diaper.....so they took the diaper off and took the baby back into the pool NAKED!!!!:eek::eek: We quickly got the staff involved!!!

Some folks are clueless!

This is why my DH and I do not go into any pool/hot tub on any ship.

We have never gotten Noro or any kind of stomach illness on any of the 15 cruises we have taken.

I use pool frequently. Some hot tubs.

80+ cruises, no Noro.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Noro isn't something you worry about catching from the pool/hot tub. It's the bacterial infections you run a risk getting as a result of the hot tubs. But to each their own. As far as babies in the pool and hot tubs, you see it a lot on many of the cruiselines. I've said something to an attendant before when I saw a baby in a hot tub with their reckless parents. It's too hot for small kids and babies. They say that they don't want to make the passenger upset so they can't say anything to the offender. They can only report it to their supervisor. I tend to swim in the adult pools on ships that have them. Otherwise I just skip it and do something else.

If I am allowed to take this thread off at a tangent. What is RCI's policy about breastfeeding a toddler in the pool?

The reason I am asking, is that a Stoke on Trent mother was literally feeding her child in the pool, at a local swimming pool, and has moaned to the press when she was asked to feed the child on the side of the pool.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mums-breastfeeding-babies-water-swimming-13108163

Well, since a toddler who is not potty trained can’t be in the pool in the first place, kind of a moot issue. If it’s trained, while somewhat dumb thing to do in a crowded pool, I guess it would be acceptable (would the kid be treading water while nursing?).

We have just got off the Symphony this morning...a few days ago we were sat at the edge of one of the main pools when a boy aged about 6 years told his parents that he need a wee so was getting in the pool! Gross...obviously kids of all ages do this all the time but the parents just laughed and didn’t try to stop him so what chance do you have!