MTD and included gratuities

SandraLee

I thought gratuities were required when having My Time Dining, but I don't see where this is updated in my cruise planner. If now, where do I add gratuities to be able to pay ahead of time.

If you didn't add gratuities when you initially booked then you have to call to have them added on.

I thought gratuities were required when having My Time Dining, but I don't see where this is updated in my cruise planner. If now, where do I add gratuities to be able to pay ahead of time.

Old info still on the web site. My Time Dining no longer requires prepaid gratuities.

RCI website, why fix errors when you can just confuse people.

The need for pre-paid with MTD hasn't been in force for over a year. Also, the choice of how to configure the beds, and several other things on the website.

Old info still on the web site. My Time Dining no longer requires prepaid gratuities.

I'd say it's hit and miss...

In the past we have requested My Time and gratuities weren't added... On our upcoming cruise we requested to be placed on My Time after booking and the tips were automatically added and final balance amended.

I'd say it's hit and miss...

In the past we have requested My Time and gratuities weren't added... On our upcoming cruise we requested to be placed on My Time after booking and the tips were automatically added and final balance amended.

Yeah, the automatic addition of tips was a "mistake", which they can fix if they like, but fixing things that reduce/delay the amount of money coming is a very very low priority. You could have had them removed before final payment upon request.

;pActually. Kinda. Yes. Normally we do 7day cruises. This is a 12 day one. Longer cruise more $. Just saying

I feel your pain. We just booked the Ovation 18 night transpacific and our pre-paid gratuities were $522.00. Even more painful knowing a lot of cheapos on the cruise will remove the tips.

I feel your pain. We just booked the Ovation 18 night transpacific and our pre-paid gratuities were $522.00. Even more painful knowing a lot of cheapos on the cruise will remove the tips.

Yes I agree the staff work so hard seems harsh to remove tips, although I much preferred it when you got the vouchers and gave them to every one that had served you, at least if the people removing tips had the shame of not giving a voucher to their room steward, waiter etc it may make them think twice. I do like to tip separately too though, giving the staff that have given me great service a little extra. I actually thought that RCI had the policy that tips could not be removed....guess I was wrong

;pActually. Kinda. Yes. Normally we do 7day cruises. This is a 12 day one. Longer cruise more $. Just saying

Feel you. Have B2B2B 12/10/11 nite and B2B Panama Canal 18/18nites coming up. Grat's add's up quick when you add one of the drink packages for all the days...

In the UK pre paying tips used to be a requirement for MTD but not now although RC still actively encourage it and the choice is available when booking the cruise.

Yes I agree the staff work so hard seems harsh to remove tips, although I much preferred it when you got the vouchers and gave them to every one that had served you, at least if the people removing tips had the shame of not giving a voucher to their room steward, waiter etc it may make them think twice. I do like to tip separately too though, giving the staff that have given me great service a little extra. I actually thought that RCI had the policy that tips could not be removed....guess I was wrong
They stopped the vouchers and Diamond voucher books to save paper !!!

Strange how you get bombarded with all the junk mail still during the cruise.

From May 2019 P&O UK are stopping autogratuities probably because lots of people didn't pay them which for some of us was painful knowing we paid them and others didn't.

There's bound to be lots of Aussie bookings on that sailing - they can't (remove tips).

Not true - it's the same for Aussies as everyone else on board. We are Aussies and have sailed in Aus waters as well as overseas, and have always been able to add or remove tips from our onboard account. The only reason we remove tips is so that we can hand over the money personally.

Australia is not a tipping culture, thank heavens, I don't know how you all in the US cope with having to put your hand in your pocket for absolutely everything. However, we always tip the required amount, and occasionally more, as we know that this is part of our cruise cost and don't want to stiff the crew.

Question about suite grats...I prepaid mine, and on my final payoff confirmation I was only charged $16.50 per person per day. Was there an increase, and if so will the extra be added to my account each day?

Something seems wrong here. Unless the tip amounts have changed very recently, non-suite (JS and below) tips are $14.50 pppd, suite (GS and better) tips are $17.50pppd.

Something seems wrong here. Unless the tip amounts have changed very recently, non-suite (JS and below) tips are $14.50 pppd, suite (GS and better) tips are $17.50pppd.

Thanks Bob. What's weird is that at the bottom in the fine print it does say $17.50 per day, but what they charged above in the actual is only $16.50. Probably not worth contacting my TA. They are difficult to get a hold of, and it's fine if the extra dollar is added each day. Just strange.....I booked early 2017, maybe that makes a difference.