Dining room, 1st night prime rib?

#1Nanna

In our experience, Crown, Emerald, Ruby either cook or hold their MDR  “prime rib” steaks in an overly moist environment that  yields a mealy texture.  We have not experienced the same on the Coral, Golden, Star, Royal or Regal. I don’t remember or haven’t tried the prime rib on some other ships. 

Given the needs of mass commercial cooking, almost all cruise ships screw it up corn on the cob.  They cook it way to early and then let it sit and stew. 

23 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

DW and I personally find the corn on the cob served in the MDR nasty.  Just do not understand how they can wreck corn like that.

So I live in Nebraska which is a huge beef and corn state. The corn is just plain horrible and I love corn. It has always been horrible. I have never seen anyone eat it. I am guessing they boil it to death.

More importantly - they have had that same corn since I started cruising in the late 90's and it has been the same the entire time. If people are not eating it, replace it or fix it!

• Like 2

I’ve had just OK beef on a few cruises with Princess, not great but just Ok a few times. I have to agree about the corn on the cob. Whenever I see it on the menu I always ask for something else, the asparagus is always been good or the snow peas, anything but the corn on the cob, you’d think they’d get the hint by not that the corn cob the cob is terrible.   

On 9/4/2018 at 8:47 AM, Coral said:

It has a weird texture, color and taste of any other prime rib I have ever had. It is almost "steamed" or "boiled".

I am used to slow cooking prime rib as I live in midwest and that is how they do it here - though we don't do it from frozen here. Maybe that is the difference? Oh , yea, different quality.

You are right, the quality of the beef in the dining room is very low quality.

I agree some times at the dinner table a few people were wondering if it was even beef.  To be honest I have never had a good cut of beef in the MDR steak house different  story. 

5 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

DW and I personally find the corn on the cob served in the MDR nasty.  Just do not understand how they can wreck corn like that.

It's frozen. Freezing destroys the cell walls in most frozen vegetables which is why they always taste bit soggy, except for peas which seem to survive freezing OK. 

I was actually impressed with the prime rib served on the first night of the Royal Princess cruise I just got off of.  In fact, all of the various beef entrees in the MDR were done very well on that ship.  On previous cruises I've been on the beef in the MDR has always been hit-or-miss, but for some reason the Royal seems to be doing a much better job of this than I normally expect.

Edited by Vexorg

12 hours ago, Coral said:

So I live in Nebraska which is a huge beef and corn state. The corn is just plain horrible and I love corn. It has always been horrible. I have never seen anyone eat it. I am guessing they boil it to death.

More importantly - they have had that same corn since I started cruising in the late 90's and it has been the same the entire time. If people are not eating it, replace it or fix it!

I thought the corn they put on the plate was for decoration only. 😲

Edited by MissP22

My comments are not just about Princess but also applies to most other mass market lines.  If I was to judge ship food by restaurant standards I would not visit any restaurant that served Princess quality or mass market cruise food.  What Princess serves as Prime rib would not pass muster in most Diners much less a decent restaurant.   Yes, I eat it when on Princess ships, but it is not something I would ever accept in a shoreside restaurant.  And that also goes for most cruise line warm water lobster tail...which is of such low quality that they would likely not sell it in our local Supermarket.

As to the corn, it is simply awful and has sat in water much too long.  In fact I prefer to microwave corn (when wrapped in wax paper) so it is steamed...rather letting hot water leach out the flavor....not to mention leaving a soggy product. On the other hand, cruise ships cannot give us really fresh corn which is hard to beat. 

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

My comments are not just about Princess but also applies to most other mass market lines.  If I was to judge ship food by restaurant standards I would not visit any restaurant that served Princess quality or mass market cruise food.  What Princess serves as Prime rib would not pass muster in most Diners much less a decent restaurant.   Yes, I eat it when on Princess ships, but it is not something I would ever accept in a shoreside restaurant.  And that also goes for most cruise line warm water lobster tail...which is of such low quality that they would likely not sell it in our local Supermarket.

As to the corn, it is simply awful and has sat in water much too long.  In fact I prefer to microwave corn (when wrapped in wax paper) so it is steamed...rather letting hot water leach out the flavor....not to mention leaving a soggy product. On the other hand, cruise ships cannot give us really fresh corn which is hard to beat. 

Hank

Microwave - but leave it in the husks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Several of my friends swear by  your method - I haven't tried it.

I have had refrigerated corn on the cob at Sam's Club (samples) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (again, I live in a corn state). I don't know if it is seasonal or not. I actually spend my Labor Day weekend freezing fresh corn and it tastes pretty decent in February - so frozen corn isn't that bad. Our grocery stores get fresh corn this time of year from Florida - you would think Princess could get some of this for Florida departures.

The odd thing is that no one really eats it. I have never seen anyone take more then a bite. Princess should just replace it to save waste.

2 hours ago, MixerDave said:

Microwave - but leave it in the husks 

yep, California method, leave husk, brush with herbed (🤭) garlic butter and wrap in wine soaked paper towels.