Dining room, 1st night prime rib?

#1Nanna

Just off the Grand 2 weeks ago and they had prime rib on sail away. For the first time in many cruises, i thought mine was very good....usually I think it's terrible. In fact, i thought the food in the MDR was really up 1/2 notch compared to past Princess cruises. s

As far as I remember, the medallions are only served on embarkation day in the main dinning room for lunch. Every time we have had the Prime Rib it was very good and tasty.

I'll have to remember that.

corn on the cob ! Must be an East coast thing, we had baked Idaho russet potatoes with real butter, en route to Ensenada .

Their idea of corn on the cob is to boil them for 30 minutes & then keep them hot under a heat lamp until called for.

Total mush. :rolleyes:

I'll have to remember that.

Their idea of corn on the cob is to boil them for 30 minutes & then keep them hot under a heat lamp until called for.

Total mush. :rolleyes:

Awww I see that would appeal to the toothless crowd.

I don't think Princess has a clue about beef anyway. I have had some "adequate" beef but have never had "good" beef let alone "excellent" beef - at least not in MDR.

Thrak you are 100% correct on this one. I personally don’t think the steak in the Crown Grill is that good.

Tony

They had prime rib on the Emerald in August and IIRC it was the night of embarkation. I didn't order it but my friend did and it certainly wasn't "greyish". She ordered medium but when it was served it looked on the rare side of medium rare to me and raw to her. When she asked to have it cooked more, our waitress replied that "That is medium!" which surprised as they are usually so good about being obliging. She did finally take it away and it came back pinkish not red. Can't commit on taste as I didn't try it. Which reminds of a question I want to ask about menu substitutions.

Thanks for all the info. My husband has had the prime rib in the past and it has always been served with baked potato and corn on the cob. He says it is good (his opinion). He always orders a rare thick cut. I was just wanting to know if it was still being served on embarkation night on the Emerald Princess. I am trying to decide between going to the dining room or Crown Grill on the first night. I am thinking this time around we may just do Crown grill.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had it on both legs of our B2BN Alaska cruise in late July on the Island. ThHe first leg I asked for a douple cut. ThHe 2nd leg I asked for a triple cut. In both cases the meat was okay although nothing like you would get in a good land-based steakhouse.

The five of us ordered the prime rib on the first night of our BI cruise on the Royal. One bite and we looked at each other wondering what it was in front of us. Tasteless hunk of beef. Nobody ventured another bite and our server never asked why we left it on our plates, uneaten. He did give us a presentation about wine tasting, which we declined. After that, we decided the buffet would be a safer place to dine. This is not the first time we have experienced the questionable chunk of beef, poorly presented and no comment or offer to provide an alternative by your steward.

Darcy

Question...Did you ask for something else & if not I’m wondering why?

Tom😎

Question...Did you ask for something else & if not I’m wondering why?

Tom😎

Once our server put the plates in front of us, then told us to attend a wine tasting, left our area and he didn't return for a solid half hour. We tried to get the attention of another server, but were ignored....MDR is way under-staffed IMO. Since we were seated in the dining room close to 6:PM, the main meal was put in front of us about 7:PM and it was approaching 7:30PM, we agreed waiting for an alternate menu item wasn't worth the long wait as we had hoped to catch the evening show.

So, between the Crown Grille, Int'l and Horizon, and Alfredo's we had very good service and a far better dining experience.

Darcy

Once our server put the plates in front of us, then told us to attend a wine tasting, left our area and he didn't return for a solid half hour. We tried to get the attention of another server, but were ignored....MDR is way under-staffed IMO. Since we were seated in the dining room close to 6:PM, the main meal was put in front of us about 7:PM and it was approaching 7:30PM, we agreed waiting for an alternate menu item wasn't worth the long wait as we had hoped to catch the evening show.

So, between the Crown Grille, Int'l and Horizon, and Alfredo's we had very good service and a far better dining experience.

Darcy

We've experienced some long waits also but that that often. They've occurred when sailing with large groups that have designated dining tables & all enter the restaurant at the same time, overwhelming the staff.

Thrak you are 100% correct on this one. I personally don’t think the steak in the Crown Grill is that good.

Tony

We have eaten in the C.G. maybe 15 times and have always gotten an excellent steak. I usually get the filet. My wife prefers the seafood and it too is very good.

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2018 at 11:04 PM, #1Nanna said:

I am wondering If they still have prime rib on the menu in the dining room on embarkation night? I thought I had read a previous post a while back about the menus being changed and prime rib being removed? We will be on The Emerald Princess next month and my husband is really hoping it is still on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off  of a 17 day cruise on the Emerald princess.  The prime rib was the worse meal served by far.  I talked to a number of people after that and they all agreed.  They also had a NY Strip night.  The strip was the second worse meal.  Leg of lamb was good.  Pasta was good.  PORK CHOP was good.  Just don't do the beef.  I love beef.  Texas Road House, Outback steakhouse, all good,  not great, but good.  Russell steak.....terrible. 

24 minutes ago, DaveRondi said:

I just got off  of a 17 day cruise on the Emerald princess.  The prime rib was the worse meal served by far.  I talked to a number of people after that and they all agreed.  They also had a NY Strip night.  The strip was the second worse meal.  Leg of lamb was good.  Pasta was good.  PORK CHOP was good.  Just don't do the beef.  I love beef.  Texas Road House, Outback steakhouse, all good,  not great, but good.  Russell steak.....terrible. 

Wow so the cruise was a bust.  🤔

Thats too bad.

3 minutes ago, DaveRondi said:

Dave, beef is always "hit or miss" on Princess.  Different purveyors and different kitchen staffs make the difference.  We here on the Cruise Critic Princess board are, of course, disappointed to hear your experience.  In contrast, however, I had two excellent filets mignon on our recent Star Princess cruise--one in Crown Grill and one with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.  In past cruises I have had failures in both venues.  I have learned that prior experience is not, necessarily, predictive of future experience.

• Like 1

We were b2b on Sky in Nov.  Beef was served quite a bit in the MDR and was generally quite good, at least at our table.  Striploins in the CG were also very good. 

We have had the occasional poor offering.  I remember DW had a ugly looking and tasting striploin in the Bayou on the Coral 13 mos ago.  It definitely should have been sent back.  My steak the same night was great.  Have to admit though that we tend not to complain much.  No cooking, no clean-up, a drink or two and being served does that to us.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 7:12 PM, Coral said:

So how does mine always come with an over baked baked potato and corn on the cob that doesn't have flavor? No ramekin for me either.....

DW and I personally find the corn on the cob served in the MDR nasty.  Just do not understand how they can wreck corn like that.