NOT QUITE LIVE! — MS Zuiderdam — NYC to QC

*Miss G*

I debated whether to report this because... you know... personal details. But I think this needs to be out there so there is fair warning to those with susceptibilities:

The beautiful sailaway I was envisioning through the Saguenay Fjord is viewed through very sad and closed eyes because I am lying in bed trying to live.

Some other time then.

I have a few days of posts left to enter when I find the time. In the meantime, here is a pic of us sailing back up the fjord:

e4837a085620bf266157a0dab4b4656b.jpg

We are doing this Saguenay sailaway on Oct. 14, so I was wondering what time did you depart the pier? Ours is scheduled for 5 PM and I was thinking of skipping our Early dinner seating to better view this.

Yesterday we purchased a two-day pass for the HOHO bus so today we are going to take the boat cruise. Here is our guide. My husband started calling him D’Artagnon before we boarded so that is what he is forever known as. But pay attention to who he is because there’s a test! The winner got a snifter of maple syrup whiskey. It’s a Quebec thing and you’re going to need it.

1fe401b1050080ae5f5355fb28e7357d.jpg

We are doing this Saguenay sailaway on Oct. 14, so I was wondering what time did you depart the pier? Ours is scheduled for 5 PM and I was thinking of skipping our Early dinner seating to better view this.

I believe it was also at 5:00 pm but it gets dark really quickly. The Captain has the bow open for passengers and there is commentary from the CD during the sail away. Unfortunately you won’t be able to hear it if you are on the bow because he asked them to wave if they heard him and they didn’t. LoL

I would definitely skip the early dinner seating for this.

If I were to do this again (which I plan on) I would make sure I am up early for the passage down the fjord to Saguenay. It’s a shame they do it at night, both ways, because it is spectacular.

Do you happen to know what time we enter the fjord? We dock in Sag. at 8 am

Do you happen to know what time we enter the fjord? We dock in Sag. at 8 am

It is probably in the wee hours of the morning because I believe we traveled 60 miles up the fjord to get to Saguenay. I was up at 5:30 am and it was lovely in first light. If you saw my pics of that morning, a few pages back in this thread, you will see what I mean.

Thanks so much, Miss G, for your wonderful report on your cruise. We are sailing this cruise in reverse next week and can hardly wait. With one day in Quebec City on the front end of the cruise, we plan to explore the city and take it all in - I will take your recommendations with us. We will try to stay warm (and I am packing warmer clothes after your report!) - even if it is freezing, it will be wonderful to be on the ship and enjoy all that it has to offer.

It is probably in the wee hours of the morning because I believe we traveled 60 miles up the fjord to get to Saguenay. I was up at 5:30 am and it was lovely in first light. If you saw my pics of that morning, a few pages back in this thread, you will see what I mean.

Thanks - I will figure on getting up a bit before sunrise then.

Miss G; not sure if you did already but, if not, you've got to see this awesome mural of important figures in Quebec's history, called "Fresque des Québécois" It is located on Cote de la Montagne, near Place Royale. Check out the kids playing hockey, one in Quebec Nordiques sweater #26, worn by Czechoslovakian star Peter Stastny :)

KKKKKK.jpg

fresques_complementaire_2.jpg

What a fabulous mural, thanks for posting the photo.

Yesterday we purchased a two-day pass for the HOHO bus so today we are going to take the boat cruise. Here is our guide. My husband started calling him D’Artagnon before we boarded so that is what he is forever known as. But pay attention to who he is because there’s a test! The winner got a snifter of maple syrup whiskey. It’s a Quebec thing and you’re going to need it.

1fe401b1050080ae5f5355fb28e7357d.jpg

Samuel "Sammie" de Champlain lookalike? ;p

No, not the Frontenac bennybear. It was Hotel Le Priori.

MIss G,

Thank you so much for more great posts and pics :D

I LOVE your hotel room. Gorgeous.

Looks like a fabulouse spot :)

:') It was really lovely! They supplied us with logs for the fire so we had one each night and it even had a small kitchen. Also included is a hot breakfast down in the restaurant.

Samuel "Sammie" de Champlain lookalike? ;p

Not Champlain! I think “Robert” was in the name but I wasn’t paying attention. If I had been that whiskey would have been mine!

Edited by *Miss G*

QUEBEC CITY - Continued

The boat cruise took us to Montmorency Falls and back. Passing the Zuiderdam we could see everyone at muster. It was a very pleasant ride and D’Artagnon gave an interesting running commentary throughout, in both French and English.

The boat, itself, was very nice. Great seating to be had both inside and out. The bar and menu were spot-on, as well as spotless, and there was also a little gift shop. The cruise was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon and I would definitely recommend it as a part of your HOHO ticket.

There are a few Canadian Coast Guard Ice Breakers docked nearby. If you look to the bottom right of the pic you will get an idea of how big these ships really are. That small boat alongside is at least 30 feet.

9e0d728be5b49e56d6a466cc033efb6c.jpg

We hadn’t yet been inside the Chateau Frontenac so that’s where we headed. The courtyard entrance was lovely and you could imagine yourself back in the days of knights and castles. Inside was an interesting historical display and some great art and sculptures:

56db616287fd513f1d7c329169172afe.jpg