Is the drink package a good idea?

tomjn111

This has probably been asked before but we are taking the Anthem this October and I am trying to decide whether to get the drink package. I can't seem to find out what the drink prices are for decent quality cocktails and wine. Any insight will be appreciated.

Tom N

This has probably been asked before but we are taking the Anthem this October and I am trying to decide whether to get the drink package. I can't seem to find out what the drink prices are for decent quality cocktails and wine. Any insight will be appreciated.

Tom N

Rough estimate. Beer $6-8. Basic mixed drinks $8-10. Frozen blender drinks $12-14. Wine $8 and up. An automatic gratuity of 18% is added to the price. Limit is $12 - if you order a glass of wine that costs more you pay the difference plus an 18% tip on the difference.

Don’t forget package also includes bottled water, soda, fresh squeezed orange juice and specialty coffee.

We did the deluxe beverage package on a recent allure of seas sailing. Got it for $44 per day plus 18% service charge and figured out our break even point was 6 drinks a day (beer being the cheapest at $7-8). We are not huge drinkers but a few easy beers in the sun and a few cocktails each evening meant we got our money’s worth. On top of that we ordered the odd soft drink with meals (instead of paying $3.50), went through a few bottles of water in our room over night and for bringing in port and enjoyed a few premium coffees (all included). Personally I was a little under the weather on our fifth day and didn’t use my package at all, so we probably just broke even overall. Next time though we WILL NOT get the package so we don’t worry about “chasing our break even point”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Next time though we WILL NOT get the package so we don’t worry about “chasing our break even point”.

You'll just be exchanging that worry for the worry if you spent more than a drink package would've cost before you boarded. :)

I am not a big drinker, but when Hubby is on vacation, he wants to be able to enjoy himself and not worry about how many drinks he is having and the potential cost. I think I worried more than he did, and found myself skipping a drink I might have enjoyed because he was racking up our bill. :o I think we always at least break even, but the worry is gone. If we figure up the water that we drink on the ship and take off for excusrions, the specialty coffees, my 1 or 2 drinks a day and his many, it works for us...at least on Celebrity. The price we paid for our upcoming RC cruise was a very good deal, and I am sure we will at least break even.

I did like it when the Select package was an option with just beer & wine. Before the packages were even available though, our onboard spending was about $300 p/p for a 7 night cruise. That included cocktails, beer, soda and bottled waters. So it is not much different pre purchasing the packages, and much more convenient when we are onboard.

I think that it depends on you, on the cruise duration, type and itinerary. We are booked on 2 upcoming cruises, the first is 8 days in the South Pacific, with 4 shore days with MIL and FIL, DH, DS and DD - MIL and FIL are both very sensible types and no doubt this behaviour will be catching - whilst we will enjoy a wine at dinner and maybe a cocktail at a show, it is unlikely the drinks package will be worthwhile. Also as we have 3 cabins, we can bring 6 bottles of wine onboard between us which will further mitigate our bar bill.

Our other upcoming cruise is a 19 day transpacific with the husband and kids and another couple who are longtime friends. (The last time we holidayed with them (pre-Kids) we had to implement a ‘no drinking before noon’ rule!) And there is a much lower shore/sea day ratio. All up the package will definitely be worth it for this cruise - I got it at the cheapest price I have seen so far and I am safe in the knowledge that I have already paid our bar bill months before I set sail!

But inthe end - it’s up to you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always bought the package for my husband since he drank a lot of beers especially on a warm weather cruise. I didn't even buy the soda package because I don't drink a lot of sodas on cruises so easier to buy as I want one. Now I will be cruising with the daughter and she is a coffee drinker so won't spent much on drinks now. You need to decide how much a day you will drink a day to cover the cost or will it be better to buy as you go.

I don't think we drank excessively on our recent cruise and perhaps we broke even but I don't mind either way. It was nice to order a drink whenever we wanted one and not give a thought about the cost. I'm a fussy wine drinker and tried/didn't drink several wines before I found one I liked but even so I doubt I cost RC more than I paid for the package but even so it was worth not having a bill of any kind at the end of our cruise. (UK cruiser so no additional service charge).

Rough estimate. Beer $6-8. Basic mixed drinks $8-10. Frozen blender drinks $12-14. Wine $8 and up. An automatic gratuity of 18% is added to the price. Limit is $12 - if you order a glass of wine that costs more you pay the difference plus an 18% tip on the difference.

Don’t forget package also includes bottled water, soda, fresh squeezed orange juice and specialty coffee.

Limit is $13 on Anthem.

What does this mean, UK cruiser so no service charge?

In the UK, quoted prices include the gratuity.

Personally I like knowing that the cost has already been taken care of, and no surprises on the last night when we get the bill. Like others have said usually 5-6 alcoholic drinks a day is break even, but add to that bottled water, juices and premium coffee and for me it’s an easy decision. We’ve done it both ways and I just like knowing it’s taken care of.

Personally I like knowing that the cost has already been taken care of, and no surprises on the last night when we get the bill. Like others have said usually 5-6 alcoholic drinks a day is break even, but add to that bottled water, juices and premium coffee and for me it’s an easy decision. We’ve done it both ways and I just like knowing it’s taken care of.

That's us. We don't need to worry. Don't mind getting a drink thats a bit over the package allowable, get what we want when we want, try new things, etc.

We did the no package at first, but prefer to not worry.

But to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Before drink packages were offered, We never spent anywhere near onboard in alcohol what the cost of the drink package. But once we got the drink package, we will never cruise without one! Before the drink packages we would really think about each and every drink we bought. No sodas (even though that's what I really wanted with lunch, I just saved the money and didn't get one), no bottled water (brought and refilled a water bottle for shore excursions), no coffees, no trying new drinks because I might not like them. With the drink package, the whole vacation feel more luxurious to me. No thinking about cost or worrying if I will like it. Do I drink more with the drink package, sure. But I'm sure I get my money's worth every single day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We have done both and find that the package is too expensive for our tastes. My husband likes the beer and wine that are not included in the package and I prefer to have cappuccino over booze. We just pay as we go and find we drink less and get exactly what we like to drink.

We always get drink package , pays for us , if you have more than 4 drinks and a few waters get package. As said 12 dollar limit on older ships 13 on newer, no limit on amount f drinks. We typically go over limit by a few dollars when ordering wine, so if it’s a 12 limit and we order a 15 dollar glass of wine we pay 3 dollars plus tip.

We have done both and find that the package is too expensive for our tastes. My husband likes the beer and wine that are not included in the package and I prefer to have cappuccino over booze. We just pay as we go and find we drink less and get exactly what we like to drink.

To clarify, all beer and wine are included in the drink package, as are cappuccinos. Some may be over the price limit previously discussed and you will pay the additional amount, but it is included.

The drink package is by no means cheap. If you would normally drink, and pay for that many drinks it make sense. If you alter your drinking habits just to make it worthwhile, then not so much.

The daily drinks for being a Diamond member is more than enough for us so we use the $700 plus that it cost for the two of us on other things.

We haven't done the drink package on Royal, as even though we like our drinks, especially on vacation, I don't think we'd break even unless we really tried, and that isn't a good idea. We wouldn't normally purchase bottles water or coffee drinks, although I probably would if we did the beverage package, so I wouldn't factor that in. We just couldn't drink enough on sea days to make up for the lack of drinking on port days. Plus I just can't see spending that much on booze for a vacation, as its nearly half the cost of the cruise itself. I would however love the idea of not having to think about drinks and money (besides the max dollar amount covered), as I find myself not getting as many drinks as I'd like as to stay in our budget.

We bring on the allowed 2 bottles of wine, get individual drinks when we want them (especially on sea days), and look out for the drink card. Last cruise it was $79 / 10 drinks including gratuity, so an awesome savings for a $12+grat drink. Even that had us buying more drinks than we probably would of, to use up the card in the 2-3 days left, but as the cost was so low, it was about even. We also tend to drink in port as we like to try local food (especially seafood) and beverages for lunch and such, plus buy bottles to take home (the best souvenir!). I think last cruise our bar bill was $200-300 for the two of us for the week (including the drink card, but not duty free alcohol).

So for us it is not a good deal. If you think you'd average 4 specialty drinks (martinis, blended drinks, etc, which are $11-13) every day, it probably would be. Less so if you drink beer or simple mixed drinks. There are only a handful of wine options which stay under the max, although you would only have to pay for any overage, so if you drink a lot of wine it could still be a good deal.

I’m gonna talk about my experience with the refreshment package

Assuming you got the package on sale 30% like we got still was not a great value for us. We felt the whole time we needed to drink to make it worth it. On days at sea you basically have after boarding to make up for the lost time. As a diamond you get alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks for free between 5-8pm more or less. I bring my own water and not really a soda drinker in my opinion a package won’t work for us.

Thank you all for the responses, very helpful. Don't think I will get the package since I found out that my wife who is a diabetic is required to get one also. In speaking to Royal the rep said that she could get the refreshment package instead but that is a couple of hundred dollars and she does not drink soda either.

I don't think about whether or not I break even. I like the freedom having a drink package gives me to try new things, and walk away from a drink that tastes nasty or gets watered down, etc. To me, that is the best part of having a drink package. I'm not ever worrying about "wasting my money", because the money has already been spent. Drink packages have allowed me to discover a lot of great drinks I otherwise might never have tried.