Commodore Romano

Woobstr112G

Just saw on another social media site that Commodore Romano is retiring. What a shame. After Tony Yeomans, he was my next favorite Ship’s Master.....:(

Bob

And as someone has posted on another thread, Princess just announced that Captain Giorgio Pomata has been appointed the new Commodore.

On one of our cruises a few years back, Capt. Yeomans stopped into our meet and greet. He started telling us that he just got off his vacation which a month of it was a cruise.

He thought it was the greatest thing that he went to sleep and was in Estonia and when he woke up he was in St. Petersburg without out having to "drive" there.

I would have to believe they receive some type of discount when cruising.

does being Commodore anything other than an honorary title?

When we sailed on Regal a few years ago' date=' the captain was called commodore but no idea what that really means.[/quote']

Princess' most senior captain has the title Commodore. I don't know what perks go with the title. Captains seem to have their usual ship, but from what I have seen the Commodore sails on different ships, while the usual captain is off on his break. Maybe he can choose which ones he does. Commodore Romano did say that he 'chose' his retirement cruise.

it's been previously posted that a potion of your auto-gratuities, if you choose to leave them in place, goes into a retirement fund for the officers, including the Captain..

I'm sure that would add up considerably over the years...

I doubt that part of the gratuity fund would go to the officers. I am pretty sure that any retirement fund for the officers would be part of their employment contract with Princess - nothing to do with the tips pool.

I have read on Princess statements that part goes to staff incentives, that is awards to crew for length of service and also for the employee of the month.

it's been previously posted that a potion of your auto-gratuities, if you choose to leave them in place, goes into a retirement fund for the officers, including the Captain..

Say it ain’t so :eek:. Your telling me all the money isn’t going to all those hard working people in the background?? I don’t believe it. I’m in shock.:rolleyes:

Tony

Aahh, we're back at gratuities again:cool:.

yawn2.jpg.05a4cab11e721e4dd209d39a0b9a302f.jpg

Theo

does being Commodore anything other than an honorary title?

When we sailed on Regal a few years ago' date=' the captain was called commodore but no idea what that really means.[/quote']

Historically in the Navy, the title of commodore goes to an officer that has operational and administrative authority over the commanding officers, (captains), of two or more vessels.

For example, back in my days in submarines, the officer who was in command of a submarine squadron had the title of commodore. At that time a submarine squadron consisted of two divisions. Each division had 4 or 5 submarines. The senior submarine captain in a division served as the division commander.

To make it more confusing---any officer in command of a commissioned vessel is addressed as Captain no matter what his true rank, (pay grade), might be. Typically a fast attack submarine captain has the rank of commander, while a ballistic missile submarine captain holds the rank of captain. A submarine squadron commanding office held the title of commodore but his actual rank was captain. I think the Navy later may have done away with the title of commodore and the position is filled by a rear admiral.

That it was posted here doesn't make it true.

If it did, there would be princess ships sailing from miami this fall.

(which I recently read in a post here)

Historically in the Navy, the title of commodore goes to an officer that has operational and administrative authority over the commanding officers, (captains), of two or more vessels.

For example, back in my days in submarines, the officer who was in command of a submarine squadron had the title of commodore. At that time a submarine squadron consisted of two divisions. Each division had 4 or 5 submarines. The senior submarine captain in a division served as the division commander.

To make it more confusing---any officer in command of a commissioned vessel is addressed as Captain no matter what his true rank, (pay grade), might be. Typically a fast attack submarine captain has the rank of commander, while a ballistic missile submarine captain holds the rank of captain. A submarine squadron commanding office held the title of commodore but his actual rank was captain. I think the Navy later may have done away with the title of commodore and the position is filled by a rear admiral.

Thanks for the info and for your service:)