When would you book a 2019 Westbound TA?

GulfShoresCruiser

So I could use the advice of those that pursue the goal of getting "the best price".

Our goal is to book our first TA in the fall of 2019. HAL has 3 (NS, Kdam & Rdam).

I've looked at the prices for this fall (2018) and they are somewhat comparable to the prices next year (2019).

Our goal is a "balcony guarantee".......Not picky about a specific cabin location or HAL ship.

My thought is to hold off until our NS sailing in January, purchase a pre-cruise deposit onboard, and book during wave season.......

What would you do if you were after "the best time to book for the best price"?

I would book early. We are doing a B2B Venice to Ft. Lauderdale next month and we booked it before our B2B last year Nov. 2017. On the up coming cruise many people have commented that a large number of cabins have been blocked in by a bridge (playing cards) group. So we are glad we booked early.

As far as the TA's not selling well, I believe that's changing. While the numbers may be lower, they do sell. We've never felt the ship was empty on TA's. It's nice to do a B2B with the first half being port intensive and the second have just relaxing and bobbing across the ocean. If you have the time it's the best way to go. You get back to the U.S. without jet lag or needing a vacation to recover from your vacation.

TAs don't (usually) sell well... and in the past, the best prices have been 'For New Bookings Only' after final payment was due.

Do you feel like gambling?

It is a gamble....but we have gotten some great prices by waiting to book after final payment.....one of the best was a 14 day TA on the Koningsdam last March.....$799 pp for a very nice verandah.....

We always buy HAL's insurance....so the pressure of an unexpected cancellation....for even that amount....isn't a problem....

Next time I may wait till two months before the cruise, and take a little more risk with the airfare. I got a good nonrefundable fare three months out this time, but a few weeks later it dropped $200pp (OV Gty). I’m fairly flexible with the date, though, and also next time I’ll be more flexible with choosing the ship.

Next time I may wait till two months before the cruise, and take a little more risk with the airfare. I got a good nonrefundable fare three months out this time, but a few weeks later it dropped $200pp (OV Gty). I’m fairly flexible with the date, though, and also next time I’ll be more flexible with choosing the ship.

When I booked the Koningsdam....(see post #13)....I also booked our flights thru HAL's Flight Ease....and it was less expensive than what I could find online....$635 from Rome to Portland, Oregon.....

It was a great trip....with a great price....:)

What I think I am seeing is that the Eastbound TA's are more expensive and the 13-14 day BIG boat Westbound TA's are cheapest.

The other thing to look at, if you are a CCL stock owner is $100 vs. $250 OBC.

I am confused. Why is it "vs?" Are you referring to different sources for the OBC?

I am confused. Why is it "vs?" Are you referring to different sources for the OBC?

One cruise is shorter so they only get the $100 OBC (assuming the have the CCL stock), the other is longer so they get the higher OBC because of the number of days.

One cruise is shorter so they only get the $100 OBC (assuming the have the CCL stock), the other is longer so they get the higher OBC because of the number of days.

Yes, thank you Kazu

One is 13 day + $100 OBC

One is 14 day = $250 OBC

One is 18 day = $250 OBC

For the 13 day the room I am looking at is $400 cheaper but we loose $150 OBC and another chance at Seville.

So I booked the 18 day and get to touch Africa :D and another chance at Seville.

Now on my next cruise I will of wished I had waited but I got the room I wanted and avoided the BIG ship.:D

None of which matters if you don't have CCL stock and are just going guarantee.

Book onboard your next cruise and go for the OBC.

Then watch the prices before final.

We book as soon as the TA cruises come out .Early on is that the best price in the beginning of the booking season .As the ship fills the prices rise;p

You can also as a benefit select your cabin from a larger variety that is available at the open of booking .:D

We have done 80 cruises & saved more cash booking early than after final payments .Try to get a better price can & does back fire by waiting too long .Cruises in general are filling faster these days:)

Awesome info....I'm the OP. We do hold CCL stock so the one day difference in OBC for the 13/14 day cruises will be factored in! Thanks!

For comparison's sake......

The 2018 Westbound TA's (that depart in 45 days or so) are all available and the prices for a balcony per day are from $70 to $138......

The 2019 Westbound TA's prices for a balcony per day are from $90 to $129.......

The higher fares are for the smaller ships (Pdam in 2018, Rdam in 2019).

Both of the "big" ships (Kdam & NS) along with Rdam are doing the westbounds in 2019....That's a large capacity heading west all within a week.

My strategy is to hold tight for now.....Buy the Future Cruise Deposit when onboard the NS in January.....and then see how it's going....

Again, thanks for the great cruise critic advice. Smooth sailings......