I've been sailing NCL long enough to remember when...

Norovirus595

when the fleet consisted of SUNWARD II, SOUTHWARD, STARWARD, and SKYWARD. The "White Ships" as they were known. NORWAY arrived in 1980 and that was my first cruise on NCL. I fell in love with the ship. Back then, the NORWAY used the same private island that Holland America now uses (Half Moon Cay). I'm not sure if they outright owned it. NCL decided it was too windy and ended up with GSC. I guess HAL decided they could make it work, and they have.

......when the Dawn was in her Inaugural year in NYC and still had a movie theater and more importantly a Spinnaker lounge. When Sinan my favorite all time CD (then ACD) was called "Bingo Boy". Also when you got a real glass fishbowl with a saying on it when you bought a Rebellious Fish drink. We have several with different sayings.

Edited by peg013
  • Like 1

Remembering all the memories!! Does anyone else remember the skeet shooting off the ship? Fun times. How about being able to throw the streamers at sailaway? I think I still have a package! LOL. The real glasses when you bought a drink to keep as a souvenir? Yes I remember the midnight buffets, chocolate buffets, all the little extras. Lobsters & beef wellington. YUM. So many wonderful fun and delicious memories. Would be nice to bring some of them back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Norway was the largest ship in the fleet!

It was the only way my father could convince my mother to cruise. That first cruise was absolutely magical and made both my parents and myself cruise addicts. As others have mentioned... assigned seating, burgers grilled on deck, midnight buffet and the chocolate buffet - they were a sight to behold!

Remembering all the memories!! Does anyone else remember the skeet shooting off the ship? Fun times. How about being able to throw the streamers at sailaway? I think I still have a package! LOL. The real glasses when you bought a drink to keep as a souvenir? Yes I remember the midnight buffets, chocolate buffets, all the little extras. Lobsters & beef wellington. YUM. So many wonderful fun and delicious memories. Would be nice to bring some of them back.

I had forgotten most of these!

The Norway felt huge, paying for ice cream ala carte was strange, and there was a snorkeling program called “Dive In”.

I bought Dive In Tee shirts from the excursion desks, where they were sold. I liked those shirts because the name of the ship was printed in large letters across the back, and a Dive In Logo was on the front.

Cruising to Bermuda from Boston on the Majesty, Seattle to Alaska on the Sky, Formal Nights, Midnight Buffets, Chocoholic Buffets, Cabin Stewards had assistants, No jeans or shorts allowed in MDRs in the evenings, Pillow chocolates every night. passengers could bring our own packs of soda or bottled water on board, the Jean Ryan Dancers,

Too funny I recently sailed POA and all I could talk about was the Wind (loved that ship) and Fanning Island (which was not the highlight of our 10-day cruise) LOL

Yes, Fanning Island was not much of a port, but I also loved the Wind. Such a classic old style cruise ship, but very well maintained. So easy to go all over that ship from the front to the back of the ship.

1999, the Norway...way before freestyle, still had set time dining. in the MDR they came between courses and had this little shovel type thingy with a brush to, sweep away any crumbs from the table cloth.:D

have not seen that since then, any cruise line.

1999, the Norway...way before freestyle, still had set time dining. in the MDR they came between courses and had this little shovel type thingy with a brush to, sweep away any crumbs from the table cloth.:D

Ha ha. I know what you are talking about. I saw it once in an Italian restaurant.

Gem was the biggest and newest ship in the fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been sailing a heck of a lot longer than that. I remember when a big ship held about 1800 people and there was only 1 dining room plus the buffet. I can remember how excited I was to sail the Seaward cause they had 2 dining rooms. Also they had just introduced specialty dining and it was La Bistro with a $5 charge. Of course back then there was always one Lobster night, which was formal night as well. For those who wish there still was Lobster, don't fret, it really wasn't the best Lobster.

One more thing: you rarely, if ever saw a family with toddler age kids cruising. In fact you did't see a lot of kids period.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The waiter only uses it if necessary. That being said, I know that the waitstaff on HAL, MSC, and several other cruise lines still have the tool and use it as necessary.