Champagne

pdaniel

Only guessing here, but could this possibly be some sort of cost cutting snafu coming from NCL? Maybe they got some sort of "deal" from the Germain people?

We're just off the Silver Sea Spirit and had the best wine/champagne ever, on any ship. I live in fear that RCL will take a look at the great and wonderful choices and think...."hey, they don't really need all of that....." I'd be heart broken. 

Please, Regent, whomever might be reading this, don't go low line now.....

30 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

I'm with you on that, Mudhen.  Can't STAND Germain - had it on Nav this past August.  So...to whom, specifically, can we make our comments known?  Would love to know who their 'taste testers' were that preferred that slop.

Hi Kwaj - I'm guessing the selection decision may have come down to more about price than taste.  John182 said that there's not too much difference (retail) between the Germain and some Montaudon's.

That may undoubtedly be true, but we have no way of knowing what kind of wholesale/discount price Regent was able to negotiate with the supplier for the purchase of thousands of cases of the "stuff" for the entire fleet.  I can reasonably assume that the Germain was not selected because it cost "more"!

Since Regent's first visible act towards it's passengers upon them boarding the ship is to hand them a glass of champagne, wouldn't you think they'd pick a "signature" champagne that would leave a most favorable first impression (to match the marble on the floors and the artwork on the walls)?  Based upon the comments here, they're not accomplishing that at the moment.

As has been discussed in the past, Costco sells Veuve Clicquot in my local store for $45/bottle - and Costco is obviously making a profit on it at that price point.  At the fares Regent is charging, I'm sure they could "spring" for a similar/better quality of champagne to hand out (as a single glass) to each boarding passenger.  They can continue to provide the bottles of " VC" gratis to their top customers in their suites and continue to sell it as a "premium choice" during the cruise for all others.

I seriously doubt that Regent would "lose money" by serving an initial glass of higher end champagne (like VC) to all of their guests upon first boarding.  Isn't that exactly the type of "first impression" that Regent is trying to instill in everyone?  In fact, they might actually wind up selling more bottles of VC (as "premium") during the course of the cruise if they gave everyone a taste of it upon first boarding.  It would also carry forward Regent's desired first impression of being a "luxury" cruise line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JPR said:

There are plenty of very good champagnes and sparkling wines for under $30 wholesale. 

Complimentary Veuve Cliquot isn’t going to happen, except in your dreams....

JPR - I agree with you, but.... I don't think there is necessarily an unavoidable economic reason/constraint for it.  I'm only talking about a one-time single-glass serving here. After all, they have no problem delivering "complimentary" full bottles of higher-end Glenlivet, Macallan, Amaretto Disaronna, and Drambuie, etc. to peoples' suites throughout the cruise.  And this would only be a single glass of champagne offered to each passenger upon embarkation.

Is there really that  big of a difference in the wholesale price between all those full bottles of complimentary spirits they're distributing to everyone's suites  throughout the cruise, vice the cost of single-glass servings of VC that would be offered to each passenger on "set-sail" day?  Most likely not.  Remember, Costco and Total Beverage are selling (retail) full bottles of VC for $45/bottle in AZ stores (naturally, it's marked up to around $80/bottle in our grocery stores - Yes, we can buy liquor in grocery stores in AZ).   And yes, I also know it's  probably double that retail price in states (like NY)  and other countries (Europe) because of huge taxes that are added to all retail liquor purchases.   But Regent is probably now buying the VC  in bulk (pallet loads) for less than $35/bottle (and they're already giving full bottles of VC away to Titanium's in their suites and charging the rest of us $80+ per bottle for it around the ship).

It just seems to me that with all the other "free" (tongue in cheek) stuff that they have decided to include for everyone on the cruises, I don't know why they are appearing to "cheapen down" that complimentary first "welcome aboard" glass of champagne (that apparently a lot of folks aren't even fully drinking due to the quality/taste)?  Their current "welcome aboard" choice is certainly getting considerable (negative) attention of many, on this board at least.  Regards.

pingpong1 - that first glass of VC would be quite nice, of course, but those of us that wish to enjoy Champagne throughout the voyage still have to put up with that substandard Germain or figure out some other beverage to substitute. Not my idea of a luxury cruise line.  A similar discussion is taking place on FB in the "RSSC Social Club" group.

15 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

pingpong1 - that first glass of VC would be quite nice, of course, but those of us that wish to enjoy Champagne throughout the voyage still have to put up with that substandard Germain or figure out some other beverage to substitute. Not my idea of a luxury cruise line.  A similar discussion is taking place on FB in the "RSSC Social Club" group.

Kwaj Girl - I completely agree with you.  If Regent can supply good/complimentary single-malt scotch, Vodka, and Gin throughout the cruise, it seems logical they could do the same, as well, for champagne.

I also heartily agree with "FORGAP's" earlier observation regarding the quality and drinkability of the many offerings from California (and New York) for various "Bubblies".  It's a matter of taste - not price or origin.  I do not mind admitting to all that I keep a supply of "Korbel Extra Dry" and various moderately-priced prosecco's stocked in my garage refrigerator that I can pull out anytime the mood strikes!  None of those are expensive (and probably even cheaper than some of Regent's current complimentary offerings).

Sometimes, we see (and noted on these boards) inconsistencies in Regent's pursuit of the total "luxury experience" from "end to end".  We finally achieved "free internet".  I now hold out hope for eventual "free laundry", regardless of cruise, suite, or SSS status.  "Hope springs eternal"!  Regards

• Like 1

Pingpong1 we are kindred spirits.   We save the good stuff for special occasions but make sure we are well stocked with cava and new world bubbles.   We like Gruet from New Mexico (of all places).   The vineyard is in the hills above Albuquerque, started by the wanderlust son of an old champagne family in France.   There is always a reason to pop a cork, in my opinion!  

I *think* the original welcome champagne was Veuve Cliquot!  I could be wrong.  I love a glass or two of good champagne but I stopped even asking for it on any chip quite a long time ago.  Sigh.

Maybe if we make this WC in 2021 we'll buy a couple of bottles in Miami before boarding.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Champagne still sucks but we do not drink much of it and do have the “good stuff” in our suite.

Not sure why “free laundry” was mentioned on this thread but, I truly hope that it never happens.  If you want included laundry, earn it (or book an upper suite on another cruise line that offers laundry - even. Celebrity offers some included laundry if you book a suite and it is half the price of Regent). There are many Platinum and above on this cruise and all of us have earned it by sailing 200+ nights.

Sorry to be off topic but I did not bring the subject up.

14 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Champagne still sucks but we do not drink much of it and do have the “good stuff” in our suite.

Not sure why “free laundry” was mentioned on this thread but, I truly hope that it never happens.  If you want included laundry, earn it (or book an upper suite on another cruise line that offers laundry - even. Celebrity offers some included laundry if you book a suite and it is half the price of Regent). There are many Platinum and above on this cruise and all of us have earned it by sailing 200+ nights.

Sorry to be off topic but I did not bring the subject up.

We still want decent Champagne - that one bottle of VC that we receive as Titanium won't last long :-)

Agree on the laundry issue - we, too, had to 'work for it' and really feel it's a benefit that should be earned.  Same as airline perks - you get them by butt-in-seat time!

7 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

If Regent can supply good/complimentary single-malt scotch, Vodka, and Gin throughout the cruise, it seems logical they could do the same, as well, for champagne.

While I, like the other posters on this interesting thread, fervently hope that Regent will have run out of Germain before our next cruise and will have restocked with something else, I would suggest that it is a bit difficult to make the comparison noted in the quote above.   It is quite likely that Regent can stretch a bottle of Glenfiddich or Grey Goose over many more servings than can be done with a bottle of wine or champagne.  After all, lots of us can polish off a bottle of champagne over the course of a long cocktail hour; but not all of us can knock back a bottle of Bombay Sapphire in that period of time. :classic_wacko:  Of course, YMMV. :classic_rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, freddie said:

While I, like the other posters on this interesting thread, fervently hope that Regent will have run out of Germain before our next cruise and will have restocked with something else, I would suggest that it is a bit difficult to make the comparison noted in the quote above.   It is quite likely that Regent can stretch a bottle of Glenfiddich or Grey Goose over many more servings than can be done with a bottle of wine or champagne.  After all, lots of us can polish off a bottle of champagne over the course of a long cocktail hour; but not all of us can knock back a bottle of Bombay Sapphire in that period of time. :classic_wacko:  Of course, YMMV. :classic_rolleyes:

Hi Freddie - Perhaps you missed it, but in the context of my posts on this thread,  I was only suggesting that bottles of the VC  could be used to pour the SINGLE GLASS SERVINGS to multiple passengers (there are 6 individual servings/flutes in a 750ml bottle) who were first boarding the ship as their first "welcome aboard" champagne. No where was I suggesting that full complimentary bottles of VC be put in every single suite  to substitute/replace the current full bottles of "complimentary" champagne (not VC) that are currently being selected by Regent and used.  I also wasn't suggesting that VC be used as the standard complimentary champagne for folks walking up to a bar or asking for a bottle with dinner.

The beginning of the thread was discussing the first taste or impression of "luxury" that folks were getting by/when Regent serves each person a single glass of what has been described by many as "inferior tasting" champagne when they board.  I would  also imagine that  many passengers first boarding the ship might not even like champagne and routinely take a "pass" on the offering, no matter which champagne was/is being offered.

My only reason for pointing out all the other bottles of higher-end liquor (not champagne) that are provided to everyone in their staterooms was to demonstrate that a one-time (only) first offering of a better quality of champagne, when folks first board, would not "break the bank" for Regent, in comparison to all the other "free stuff" (which we all know isn't really"free") that's being provided, and it would/might send a very nice "first impression" to first boarding passengers.  In fact, giving passengers a complimentary "taste" of VC, might actually encourage more actual sales (profit for Regent) of it, once the cruise gots underway.  Regards.

6 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Laundry and VC is offered in the Master Suites on Regent and of course the Regent Suite on Explorer.  Maybe not earned but you are paying for that privilege.

Unless something has changed, there is no free laundry in upper suites

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

Maybe I was looking at the Regent Suite on the Explorer at those prices laundry should be free in that suite.

Hi Malbec - I completely agree with you.  Merriam-Webster's 1st definition of the term "Earn" is: "to receive as return for effort and especially for work done or services rendered".

Unless we're coming onboard to scrub floors or wash dishes in the galley, or make beds in the suites, we're not "earning" anything from Regent!  We're giving them bucket-loads of money and in turn, they're providing us a list of services and benefits in exchange for that payment.  Taking us for a ride to a destination on their ships, offering complimentary drinks, including excursions, requiring no additional tipping/gratuities, and providing Wi-Fi are not "benefits" that have been "earned" by anyone.

The cruise benefits offered by Regent are given in exchange to customers in return for  Regent receiving the considerable amounts of money that we are giving them.  Those list of benefits (along with fares being charged) are under constant review by the company and will be adjusted over time (by them) in order to continue to meet their profit objectives.  Regent's deciding what "extra benefits" to give customers who have handed over the most money to them is not anything which has been "earned" on the part of the clients.  The clients have paid for it.  The more money we give Regent, the more "benefits" they will provide us. Regards.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Malbec - I completely agree with you.  Merriam-Webster's 1st definition of the term "Earn" is: "to receive as return for effort and especially for work done or services rendered".

Unless we're coming onboard to scrub floors or wash dishes in the galley, or make beds in the suites, we're not "earning" anything from Regent!  We're giving them bucket-loads of money and in turn, they're providing us a list of services and benefits in exchange for that payment.  Taking us for a ride to a destination on their ships, offering complimentary drinks, including excursions, requiring no additional tipping/gratuities, and providing Wi-Fi are not "benefits" that have been "earned" by anyone.

The cruise benefits offered by Regent are given in exchange to customers in return for  Regent receiving the considerable amounts of money that we are giving them.  Those list of benefits (along with fares being charged) are under constant review by the company and will be adjusted over time (by them) in order to continue to meet their profit objectives.  Regent's deciding what "extra benefits" to give customers who have handed over the most money to them is not anything which has been "earned" on the part of the clients.  The clients have paid for it.  The more money we give Regent, the more "benefits" they will provide us. Regards.

Have to disagree completely but my "take" on the situation is different.  On airlines, for instance, the more miles you fly the more points (aka benefits) that you receive.  The same goes for hotels and cruise lines.  You can call it what you like but the more you cruise on Regent, the more benefits you receive.  Similarly, the higher the category you book, the more benefits you receive.  I don't look at this as a money issue although it is related.  If, for instance, you cruise 200 nights, you receive included laundry and other benefits.  It does not matter if all of your cruises have been in a Master Suite or the lowest category suite.  These are "loyalty" benefits based on nights sailed  - not how much you have spent.

Regent does review these benefits periodically and have changed some benefits after concerns from their loyal customers.  While every cruise line wants to entice new cruisers to try their cruise line, it is not necessary to give them everything the moment that they step onboard the ship.  Most newbies to Regent are on Regent because of the pre-cruise hotel, included air and included excursions (as well as the food and service that Regent provides).  

In answer to another question, yes, the Regent suite on Explorer does receive free laundry.  Since they are paying around $10K/night and there is only one suite on the ship, no one begrudges people the benefits that they receive.  

In terms of "earned" benefits, it depends upon how you look at it.  Many/most Regent customers have worked very hard to "earn" the money that goes to pay for the cruises.  Those that make the decision to spend their hard earned money to sail on Regent, In my opinion, deserve the loyalty benefits.

Edited by Travelcat2

You can not compare airlines and hotels, for instance if you have a Centurion card or the Platinum and fly business class or first whether it is your first flight or your 100th flight you still have free access to lounges on international and getting guaranteed upgrades in hotels and resorts regardless if your are a member of a loyalty program or how many times you have stayed.  We did not earn the Centurion Card we were invited to join but one pays for platinum and Centurion but the benefits out way the cost.

If one is in a upper suite and paying tons of money a simple thing like laundry and VC champagne should be a perk for booking a high end suite as those guests are paying a premium.  I agree that those who have so many nights and not staying in the upper suites should be entitled but when you lay out close to a 100K combined in a MS it is a no brainer to offer quality champagne and laundry. Just my opinion and I agree with Pingpong.

14 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

You can not compare airlines and hotels, for instance if you have a Centurion card or the Platinum and fly business class or first whether it is your first flight or your 100th flight you still have free access to lounges on international and getting guaranteed upgrades in hotels and resorts regardless if your are a member of a loyalty program or how many times you have stayed.  We did not earn the Centurion Card we were invited to join but one pays for platinum and Centurion but the benefits out way the cost.

If one is in a upper suite and paying tons of money a simple thing like laundry and VC champagne should be a perk for booking a high end suite as those guests are paying a premium.  I agree that those who have so many nights and not staying in the upper suites should be entitled but when you lay out close to a 100K combined in a MS it is a no brainer to offer quality champagne and laundry. Just my opinion and I agree with Pingpong.

Quality champagne (one bottle) is given to passengers in upper suites.  There are other benefits for upper suites as well.  I do "get" that people that book upper suites (or even lower suites) would love to get included laundry...... who wouldn't?  That is a no brainer.  However, some of us waited years for that benefit and we have sailed in upper suites on most but not all cruises.  On the cruise that we are currently on, we get included laundry and dry cleaning based on our Seven Seas Society level and are also in a "named suite".  When you talk about $100K (and for the record, I do not want to discuss prices - I find it uncomfortable), try to figure out what 32 cruises (over 400 nights) would cost (compared to $100K.)  A couple that books the Regent suite on our next cruise will be shelling out over $200K.  I do not look at that and get jealous that they have included massages, private included excursions, etc.  It is what it is and we can argue the point until the cows come home but nothing will change (at least not now).

As an aside, it is interesting that you refer to the Amex Centurion and Platinum cards.  Many Regent passengers dumped that card a couple of years ago and have Chase Sapphire Reserve instead (it includes about $20K of travel insurance and many benefits that Amex no longer offers).  Amex's $300 OBC for Regent cruises is less than we get through the consortium that our TA is associated with and it is no longer combinable.  Just something to think about.

So, this thread is about champagne and my responding about laundry could not be more off topic.  If anyone wants to start yet another laundry thread - go for it!

Edited by Travelcat2

• 2 weeks later...

On my first Regent Cruise in a lowly Penthouse A we got free laundry. I was really annoyed that my cousin also on her first Regent cruise in an even more lowly Penthouse C also got free laundry. Not sure how we earned it but it was welcome anyway. To keep in the spirit of the thread the included champagne was excellent for washing socks as suggested by an earlier poster.

Having disembarked the Voyager an hour ago, I can say that I did pretty much got used to the champagne - as long as the bartender put in a plan of something else to improve the flavor.  Still not a big fan but once I finished the Heidsieck Monopole and Cliquot, I decided not to get into purchasing better champagne.  I'm more of a tequila drinker and Regent's tequila is very good

Edited by Travelcat2

• 3 weeks later...

We've been reading the online discussion about the champagne served on our ships.  To ensure a consistent guest experience across our fleet of ships, we will now serve Heidsieck champagne on board all ships by March 2019. We thank you all for your passion for Regent Seven Seas Cruises and appreciate your continued support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1