MS Zuiderdam in New York , October 3, 2018

rafinmd

There’s a 15-day lull in the webcam sailaway season between the last ship in Juneau and the next sailaway from Ft. Lauderdale. The first of the other 3 sailaways on PTZ cameras is Wednesday in New York as the Zuiderdam makes her final visit there of this year. She will leave on a New England Cruise ending in Quebec and her return journey will end in Ft. Lauderdale where she will start her Caribbean season. The ports on this cruise are Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, and Saguenay.

en_US_N8N10B_mobile_1x.jpg

On her last New York visit Zuiderdam was diverted to Brooklyn due to damage to the Manhattan Pier. That will not happen this time as there is only one other ship in port, the Oceania Insignia. Zuiderdam’s scheduled hours are 7AM to 8PM while Insignia’s call is shorter, 8AM t0 6PM.

The New York webcams do not normally cover arriving ships the way they do in Juneau. On sailaway (and likely during the day) the ship will be on the port webcam:

http://portnywebcam.com

Eventually the ship will show up on the harbor webcam. While this has great long range resolution the front of the ship will be dark so it will not appear until it gets closer to that camera. Hopefully the port camera will follow the ship quite a way down the river. The port camera is

http://nyharborwebcam.com

Next up is the Volendam in Aruba October 15.

Roy

There’s a 15-day lull in the webcam sailaway season between the last ship in Juneau and the next sailaway from Ft. Lauderdale. The first of the other 3 sailaways on PTZ cameras is Wednesday in New York as the Zuiderdam makes her final visit there of this year. She will leave on a New England Cruise ending in Quebec and her return journey will end in Ft. Lauderdale where she will start her Caribbean season. The ports on this cruise are Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, and Saguenay.

en_US_N8N10B_mobile_1x.jpg

On her last New York visit Zuiderdam was diverted to Brooklyn due to damage to the Manhattan Pier. That will not happen this time as there is only one other ship in port, the Oceania Insignia. Zuiderdam’s scheduled hours are 7AM to 8PM while Insignia’s call is shorter, 8AM t0 6PM.

The New York webcams do not normally cover arriving ships the way they do in Juneau. On sailaway (and likely during the day) the ship will be on the port webcam:

http://portnywebcam.com

Eventually the ship will show up on the harbor webcam. While this has great long range resolution the front of the ship will be dark so it will not appear until it gets closer to that camera. Hopefully the port camera will follow the ship quite a way down the river. The port camera is

http://nyharborwebcam.com

Next up is the Volendam in Aruba October 15.

Roy

We are on Zuiderdam now for the moment late leaving our anchor port in Newport...our anchor and a rock are tangled somehow and problems getting one of the tenders back on the ship. Unless delay is horrendous hopefully we will still sail under Verazzano on schedule at 530 a.m. tomorrow morning....

Ed

We are on Zuiderdam now for the moment late leaving our anchor port in Newport...our anchor and a rock are tangled somehow and problems getting one of the tenders back on the ship. Unless delay is horrendous hopefully we will still sail under Verazzano on schedule at 530 a.m. tomorrow morning....

Ed

What a mess. Keep us updated on what happens.

as of 10:23pm, marinetraffic is still showing the Zuiderdam in newport :(

hoping one of the folks onboard will come back and post an update for us.

i live right by the manhattan terminal so had planned to wake up up early to view the Zuidy sail in with the sunrise. thinking now that maybe i can sleep in!? ;)

sea-distnces.org shows an 8 hour trip at 18kt. If Zuiderdam doesn't leave pretty soon there it will be hard to make up the time.

Roy

Could not repair tender winch so will leave tender in Newport. Leaving for NY now. Captain says we will be less than 30 minutes late arriving in Manhattan, if at all.

Could not repair tender winch so will leave tender in Newport. Leaving for NY now. Captain says we will be less than 30 minutes late arriving in Manhattan, if at all.

Thanks so much for posting an update!! Oh man, i'm sure it won't be pretty for HAL to get that tender repaired and then back onto the ship!

Did the captain happen to give you an actual arrival time? i will hopefully be up early to wave the ship in :)

One of the greatest sail in’s or sail away’s one can experience IMO.

Thanks Roy.

I totally agree! Which is why it was such a disappointment, especially for those who have not experienced this, for folks on the Zuiderdam when we were bumped from Manhattan to Brooklyn for our September 13 arrival from Copenhagen. At least we had a beautiful (albeit rainy) pre-dawn sail under the Verrazzano, and a view of the Statue of Liberty. :D [P.S. The bridge has officially gotten the second Z as of October 1!]

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Thanks so much for posting an update!! Oh man, i'm sure it won't be pretty for HAL to get that tender repaired and then back onto the ship!

Did the captain happen to give you an actual arrival time? i will hopefully be up early to wave the ship in :)

Original plan was to go under Verazano at 530 a.m. and be alongside St of Lib 20 min later. Add 25 minutes to that, I would say.

Original plan was to go under Verazano at 530 a.m. and be alongside St of Lib 20 min later. Add 25 minutes to that, I would say.

thank you! calculating the distance, and given you just left Newport, I was thinking sometime after 6pm, so that sounds about right. (i've seen ships come into manhattan as early as 4am sometimes, and as late as 8am on a busy day)

Enjoy the sail in, it's a beauty, as the pics above show! (thanks for posting)

(PS - it's currently raining like crazy here in NYC, so hoping it's all gone by the time she sails in!)

What a busy night. I have just one HAL NY sailaway (Rotterdam, 2011) but have done it many times primarily on QM2 and Crystal. Manhattan is definitely nicer than Brooklyn but I was surprised at how much nicer the sailaway was from Brooklyn compared to Bayonne.

I definitely think a daytime sailaway is better than at night but they are different and I have also enjoyed my night sailaways. This earlybird even stayed up until we passed the bridge when the Crystal Symphony left at midnight.

I wonder if the tender will make it's way through the Cape Cod canal and meet the Zuiderdam in Boston Friday.

Roy

Someone has posted another thread about how late the boarding is being today. I wonder if it's because of the repairs.

Yes, we disembarked 90 minutes late this morning due to delayed arrival which was due to failed attempt to fix tender winch which meant we left Newport very late last night...about 10:45 p.m.