When do you pay in full?

Jenner9

I generally pay the balance due at final payment. However, occassionally Amex will have a deal where if you pay $xx amount to a particular cruise line, they'll give you back some smaller amount as a statement credit. So I just made 2-$750 payments (my card & DH's card) and got 2-$150 statement credits back, on our May 2019 cruise. $300 off my cruise = more to spend on excursions!

And sometimes Princess will offer a small bonus gift card with an expiration date when you buy a gift card of a certain amount. So I'll apply that smaller gift card as payment before final, before the expiration date.

These seem like logical reasons to make a payment before it's actually due.

Yes, those are logical reasons. You get a real, tangible benefit for doing so. A much better reason than one poster's "Whenever I feel like it". ;)

I generally pay the balance due at final payment. However, occassionally Amex will have a deal where if you pay $xx amount to a particular cruise line, they'll give you back some smaller amount as a statement credit. So I just made 2-$750 payments (my card & DH's card) and got 2-$150 statement credits back, on our May 2019 cruise. $300 off my cruise = more to spend on excursions!

And sometimes Princess will offer a small bonus gift card with an expiration date when you buy a gift card of a certain amount. So I'll apply that smaller gift card as payment before final, before the expiration date.

These seem like logical reasons to make a payment before it's actually due.

Very sensible and smart!

Unfortunately, the Amex deal is only for selected Amex cards issued in the US. I don't think other nationalities can avail this offer.

Kindly enlighten us more on the Princess offer. Is it for all nationalities?

Very sensible and smart!

Unfortunately, the Amex deal is only for selected Amex cards issued in the US. I don't think other nationalities can avail this offer.

Kindly enlighten us more on the Princess offer. Is it for all nationalities?

I don't think this particular offer is. But there might be offers placed on other international cards that aren't offered to Americans.

Wait till right before final payment is due and then pay in one lump sum.

Invest and let your money grow till the final payment date. Unless you gets a substantial discount (for early payment) which is more than the expected return on investment over that period.

We don't invest with money we need in less than 5 years, and can't book cruises more than 2 years out. I think those who do installment payments probably aren't taking cruises that are so expensive that the savings interest makes much of a difference.

We pay the minimal deposit, then any other deposits required as necessary due to price drops, and balance in full within 1-2 weeks of final payment (2 weeks if we are out of town 1 week before). When we had a gift card we applied it early just in case there were any glitches.

I can understand if a group is traveling together having everyone make installments so someone doesn't back out at the last minute for lack of funds.

I usually book a year out. I pay whenever I feel like it. Usually 6 mos out.

It’s not my job to satisfy Flatbushs idea of common sense.

It may not be your job to satisfy Flatbush but it is without a doubt your loss to donate the interest you could have earned to a very grateful stockholder.

I'll be paying off in full for a cruise starting 1 Aug 2020 at the end of this month (Oct 2018).... No other reason that it gives me a 10% discount for doing so and that's more than what the banks pay for keeping my money.

Otherwise I'd always pay when due.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I usually pay on the final due date--I don't even normally get an option, unless I just don't notice it. However, of the two upcoming cruises I'm paying for (the third is paid for by someone else), I'm doing one per month and one at the final deadline. The final payment dates on both won't be awfully far apart, actually.