Sad news from Reflection

BigAl94

Does anyone have a guess as to how many times in a calendar year this happens?

I would hope that X has a procedure/policy in place to try and identify these individuals before a sad situation like this can occur again.

bon voyage

I was on this cruise and it was a very sad day indeed to awaken to this  news.  Most passengers were very subdued indeed.  At breakfast I was unfortunately  standing next to a lady at the omelette station who was very irate and wanting to know would we get to Rhodes as she clicked her fingers saying she was very wealty indeed and that  is where the best shops were!!!!  To say I was speechless is an understatement.  RIP Alex. 

We were on the cruise too and doing room service breakfast since we had an early private tour booked.  At 7:15am I noticed we were still moving, not yet in the harbor and when I turned on the navigation channel I saw our bow pointed away from Rhodes and wondered.  A few minutes later the captain made the first announcement and there seemed to be a sudden silence all over the ship. The captain and his crew did a great job of keeping us informed of what was going on with the search and how it all worked.  We were all pretty much resigned to the fact that we would miss Rhodes all together and while we were disappointed I did not hear any complaints.  It was a pleasant surprise when the captain announced around 3pm that the Greek Coast Guard had released us from the search and that we would be making a short port call in Rhodes, arriving around 7.15pm and staying until about midnight.  It was dark when we arrived so the tours many of had planned were impossible but the old city was open and in full swing so we were able to get off the ship for a few hours and see a bit of it and even do some shopping. We did talk to some of the merchants we shopped with and they seemed to know more about the whole episode than we did.  It was sad, very sad.  As we left the search area the captain did say that their hopes and prayers were that the crew member has washed up safely on a Greek island.  The next morning, I think, in his morning announcements he asked for a moment of silence and prayer and you could hear a pin drop where we were. A nice touch from a very caring and professional captain.

1 hour ago, Mr. Click said:

The next morning, I think, in his morning announcements he asked for a moment of silence and prayer and you could hear a pin drop where we were. A nice touch from a very caring and professional captain.

Yes- he did ask for a moment of silence.

The crew member was from Ukraine and reportedly left a note that was found by his roommate. It was a sad and somber day.

4 hours ago, Tudorcruisers said:

I was on this cruise and it was a very sad day indeed to awaken to this  news.  Most passengers were very subdued indeed.  At breakfast I was unfortunately  standing next to a lady at the omelette station who was very irate and wanting to know would we get to Rhodes as she clicked her fingers saying she was very wealty indeed and that  is where the best shops were!!!!  To say I was speechless is an understatement.  RIP Alex. 

And it’s people like this that make ship life miserable for the hard working crew.  They treat crew poorly by belittling them and being demanding.   

Be kind always to these hard workers.  

MizDemeanor, The delay in reaching Rhodes had nothing to do with mental health. International maritime law required the captain to return to the area where the man overboard happened.  The captain explained it all to us in his first announcement.  Unfortunately the crew member being MIA was not reported until about 4-5 am and there was a search of the immediate area while security videos were reviewed and the time of the actual event was established. From there we were required to return to the area and be part of the search under the direction of the Greek Coast Guard. The timing of things was such that we had to travel backwards for 3 hours, then search until we were released by the coast guard after searching for about 4-5 hours and then it was three hours back to Rhodes for an evening port call.  No one had a choice, the captain was required to follow the law and at the same time do all he could for the rest of his crew and his passengers.  None of us were happy about the delay but it part of life and we all had to deal with it.  

19 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Does anyone have a guess as to how many times in a calendar year this happens?

I would hope that X has a procedure/policy in place to try and identify these individuals before a sad situation like this can occur again.

bon voyage

Bo:

Here's a great web site that has a list of persons overboard by cruise line, if you scroll down you will see a synopsis of individual cases.  I have followed this web site for years, it is IMHO very accurate.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Bo:

Here's a great web site that has a list of persons overboard by cruise line, if you scroll down you will see a synopsis of individual cases.  I have followed this web site for years, it is IMHO very accurate.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

Thank you very much for this link...

bon voyage