Anytime dining doesn’t work!

oldtrout

9 minutes ago, Potstech said:

But we did take some one else's assigned seat.  They just never used it. And if they had shown up we would have given them those seats at the table and then went to the ATDR with apologies. So where were those who were assigned to these seats? ATDR?  Buffet? Specialty dining room? Lido deck grill?  We did not know and actually after a short conversation did not care as they did not show up.

Exactly.  That’s why it’s nice that the dining rooms communicate so overflow from ATD can been sent to TD when they know for sure that tables are not being used on a particular night. In your case, it was a non-issue so it’s nice that you could eat with your friends.  But it would be an issue for me if I have to wait for a table in ATD because TD diners decide they want to eat there for convenience or with their ATD friends. That would not be fair to essentially tie up 2 tables in 2 different MDRs.  

3 hours ago, lstone19 said:

One thing that gets mentioned a lot is how one ATD dining room can have a long line while another has a much shorter line. I would think it could make ATD seating management a lot simpler if there was one check-in point for ATD and from there, guests were directed to an ATD room (including the TD room when they know there's room there). Imagine if they tracked TD seat status so if a passenger lets them know they're be dining elsewhere the next night, they could mark those seats as available for ATD. I do realize that mobility issue could make this a problem for some people but there would still be enough people who would gladly go to another room to be seated  quickly.

doesnt royal assign dining rooms? i was researching another line and forget which one but i know they chose for you

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

Easy, you have no designated table in the buffet.  That is the whole concept of buffet.  If all passengers dcided to go to the buffet not a sngle one would take up "your table or place in the queque."

Exactly the same is true of Anytime Dining in a Main Dining Room.  Nobody has dibs on a designated table or place in the queue each night in ATD MDR.

I'm not defending TD people who go to a different dining room on a whim.  I was looking for an explanation of why ATD diners who like the MDR feel that their dining room is inviolate whereas if anyone should suffer inconvenience of TD diners switching venues it should be the ATD buffet diners like us.  Sometimes we may get our dinner plates in the buffet only to find there are no tables available at all and here you stand with your dinner plate in hand.  I guess when you share a vacation with 3,000 other people one encounters some inconvenience from time to time.  I just try to accept it and go with the flow.

Edited by Daniel A
Clarification

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Exactly the same is true of Anytime Dining in a Main Dining Room.  Nobody has dibs on a designated table or place in the queue each night in ATD MDR.

I'm not defending TD people who go to a different dining room on a whim.  I was looking for an explanation of why ATD diners who like the MDR feel that their dining room is inviolate whereas if anyone should suffer inconvenience of TD diners switching venues it should be the ATD buffet diners like us.  Sometimes we may get our dinner plates in the buffet only to find there are no tables available at all and here you stand with your dinner plate in hand.  I guess when you share a vacation with 3,000 other people one encounters some inconvenience from time to time.  I just try to accept it and go with the flow.

Primarily because that is how Princess has established the venues.

AT or TD choose 1 for duration of cruise, change require Maitre d approval

Buffet, grill, pizza, open to all first come first serve

Added cost dining open to all with reservation wiht open space available to walk in

Edited by RDC1
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What ATD buffet are you talking about? The fact there are no tables is normal at times for a buffet  Guess you are finally realizing that putting 3000 plus people in a small limited space that not everyone will do or act like you want. And then describing some areas incorrectly shows.

On 10/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, victory2020 said:

You can now book online for ATD on the day of? You used to have to call & I would be on hold from the minute they opened for quite some time, then they came back with "only times open are 5 & 8". If I could do it online it would be so much easier. Cruise planner being your account that you go to through Princess where your account is? I didn't see that earlier this month & we had anytime.

No you can not prebook a reservation online for Princess cruises. I was referring to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. On those lines you can just go to the cruise planner in your account and  purchases drink and dining packages that they offer, book and pay for excursions, purchase internet minutes, book specialty restaurants and most important schedule you dining times for My time dining. You can choose different times each night. 

There is always the point that ATD is less crowded later on and so TD who missed their assigned time could be told to return when ATD is not crowded. I think ATD are peeved at the thought of TD adding to the volume at busy times - I am sure this happens.

Also it is possible that dining assignment is not checked during the slow periods.

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

But we did take some one else's assigned seat.  They just never used it. And if they had shown up we would have given them those seats at the table and then went to the ATDR with apologies. So where were those who were assigned to these seats? ATDR?  Buffet? Specialty dining room? Lido deck grill?  We did not know and actually after a short conversation did not care as they did not show up.

That's why when my wife and I decide not to go to our assigned seats in TD, one of us will go and notify that dining room's Maitre 'd that we would not be using our seats that night so they could seat others there if they wanted or needed seats.

Tom

I had thought that we would have the Head Maitre d' that was mentioned as having the cruise card checked at the door, for Anytime Dining.    Now that Eastbay mentions the name of their Head Maitre d,  this is not the same one that must be boarding soon to serve on the Regal.   Ours will be Ignazio D'Agostino.

Anyhow, we have done what we think works best for us, given the changes, and are now signed up for Anytime Dining.

Edited by Wishing on a star

8 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I had thought that we would have the Head Maitre d' that was mentioned as having the cruise card checked at the door, for Anytime Dining.    Now that Eastbay mentions the name of their Head Maitre d,  this is not the same one that must be boarding soon to serve on the Regal.   Ours will be Ignazio D'Agostino.

Anyhow, we have done what we think works best for us, given the changes, and are now signed up for Anytime Dining.

Neville Saldana got off on Saturday and I g n a z i o  D'Agostino replaced him the same day!

11 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

We are new to Princess, and I've been reading this thread with some concern/interest throughout the last few days.

First, I am shocked that some people book TD and then think they can use ATD as well! That seems very selfish to me. We aren't hugely experienced cruisers by any means, but I have never heard of this happening on any other line. I really hope they do start enforcing the choice that people made when they booked the cruise to ensure it's fair for all. Who knew that you CAN eat your cake and have it too!

Secondly, our first Princess cruise is in December and we have booked ATD as fixed dining does not work for us at all. The one time we had fixed dining on MSC we only went 2 nights as we were never ready to eat at that time (we were supposed to have flexible dining but they took it away after we booked!). We have no objection to a reasonable wait for a table, as we only like tables for 2 and understand they are in limited supply. But if the dining situation is an absolute cluster with long long waits then it will probably be a one-and-done for us on Princess. Which is a shame, but other lines manage to run ATD properly so we'll look elsewhere.

We just walked off the Grand after a 10 day cruise to Mexico from San Francisco. As only our second Princess Cruise we aren’t real savvy with the Princess dining process so chose Traditional at 6:00 pm. I’m Celiac so wanted the consistency of the same waiter every night. Unfortunately the dining time we chose (early) was too confining as I’m sure the late would be also. I called the dining number and was switched to Anytime with no problem.  Best decision we made. Not only did we wait no more than 10 minutes during busy times, they handled my Celiac with expert care. Will never go back to Traditional as Anytime dining met all of our expectations. 

2 minutes ago, Soman said:

We just walked off the Grand after a 10 day cruise to Mexico from San Francisco. As only our second Princess Cruise we aren’t real savvy with the Princess dining process so chose Traditional at 6:00 pm. I’m Celiac so wanted the consistency of the same waiter every night. Unfortunately the dining time we chose (early) was too confining as I’m sure the late would be also. I called the dining number and was switched to Anytime with no problem.  Best decision we made. Not only did we wait no more than 10 minutes during busy times, they handled my Celiac with expert care. Will never go back to Traditional as Anytime dining met all of our expectations. 

Great to hear!

8 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Neville Saldana got off on Saturday and I g n a z i o  D'Agostino replaced him the same day!

I hope that new Maitre D'  D'Agostino enforces the Anytime Dining seating as courteously and efficiently as the former Maitre D'.  If so, then there will be no problem.  Have a great cruise, and please let us know all about it.  🙂 - EBC