Anytime dining doesn’t work!

oldtrout

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Simple answer. The buffet and specialty restaurants are open to everyone at any time. TD and ATD are selected and should only be offered to those who chose those precise dining experiences.

Not true.  The specialty restaurants are generally by reservation only and it has been my experience that one must make reservations days in advance or you go hungry.  Specialty restaurants are not "open to everyone at any time."

The MDR is open to everyone at any time.  Who are these people who think they own the MDR when they have ATD?  My goodness, I see where people claim health reasons for why they must eat at a certain time.  If I was going to die or lose an appendage because I don't eat at 6:45 PM Newfoundland Time,  I'd make sure I had TD for 6:30 or I'd be at the International Café.  ( I would also keep stuff from last night's buffet in my cabin in case it was an important appendage...)

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Simple answer. The buffet and specialty restaurants are open to everyone at any time. TD and ATD are selected and should only be offered to those who chose those precise dining experiences.

Best answer yet.  Succinct and to the point.

DON

41 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Eastbay-

I think you may have missed the point. 

If TD diners who cannot make their pre-reserved accommodations is causing the problem, why must they only be referred to the buffet?  Do the anytime dining PAX who prefer to eat in the MDR occupy an elevated position that no one else may eat in their MDR?  Why is the buffet the other option?  Where do the rules say TD diners are allowed to eat at the buffet and take away my dinner table because they are not allowed to eat in the exclusive ATD MDR?

My basic point is that we are all in the same 'boat'.  Can't we all get along?

So if I book Anytime, you think I should be able to show up to MDR and demand a table?  that's not how it works nor would I ever be so presumptuous and rude to try it.

You book a set seating, stick to it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Eastbay-

If TD diners who cannot make their pre-reserved accommodations is causing the problem, why must they only be referred to the buffet?  Do the anytime dining PAX who prefer to eat in the MDR occupy an elevated position that no one else may eat in their MDR?  Why is the buffet the other option?  Where do the rules say TD diners are allowed to eat at the buffet and take away my dinner table because they are not allowed to eat in the exclusive ATD MDR?

Actually you do that when you chose traditional. Originally Princess did check cards, not sure why they have moved away.

But it still is that if you know that TD does not meet your needs every night, and if you are not willing to eat in the buffet for those nights that it doesn't you should select AT.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

So if I book Anytime, you think I should be able to show up to MDR and demand a table?  that's not how it works nor would I ever be so presumptuous and rude to try it.

You book a set seating, stick to it.

You can show up at the buffet and not find a table either.  I think you have made the point here.  If you cannot make the seating for some reason, why should you go hungry? 

I recently saw a posting for a man who is taking a 46 day cruise.  Does he need to adhere to a strict schedule for a month and a half or is he an evil person because some nights he wants to eat at a different time?  Of course, he should not be allowed in a MDR strictly reserved for the elite ATD cruisers - he must eat hamburgers or buffet food.

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

My goodness, I see where people claim health reasons for why they must eat at a certain time.  If I was going to die or lose an appendage because I don't eat at 6:45 PM Newfoundland Time,  I'd make sure I had TD for 6:30 or I'd be at the International Café.  ( I would also keep stuff from last night's buffet in my cabin in case it was an important appendage...)

I wonder how they determined 6:45 is "the" time. Because that's the time they need to eat at home? But are they in the same time zone. Or have they let themselves be slaves to what the local clock says and decide what's too early or too late based on that local clock rather than what their body time is. Rather than looking at the local time and saying 5pm is much too early or 8pm is much too late, figure out what it is at your home and you might find the time is just right for you.

I find it particularly interesting when people decide a time is too early or too late when on a cruise several time zones away such as U.S. residents on a European cruise where the local time is five to ten hours later than at home. 

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

You can show up at the buffet and not find a table either.  I think you have made the point here.  If you cannot make the seating for some reason, why should you go hungry? 

I recently saw a posting for a man who is taking a 46 day cruise.  Does he need to adhere to a strict schedule for a month and a half or is he an evil person because some nights he wants to eat at a different time?  Of course, he should not be allowed in a MDR strictly reserved for the elite ATD cruisers - he must eat hamburgers or buffet food.

He makes a choice when he books.  Want the same table, same time, book Main Dining. Want some flexibility, book Anytime. He's an adult so unless he's on Pacific which does not have Anytime, then he made a choice when he booked.  There's still flexibility to both of them.  No one is forcing you to eat at the same table every night. There are other options for MDR patrons who want some flexibility. But the ATD shouldn't be one of them.

• Like 3

There is a woman on one of my FB groups who was sailing just recently to Alaska and they had rolled out the new dining times.  She said they were letting people who had TD to to Anytime during her cruise and it was a mess. She also said that she felt like they would start enforcing not letting TD people into Anytime.  She didn't say precisely how but that was the feeling she got.  

6 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

He makes a choice when he books.  Want the same table, same time, book Main Dining. Want some flexibility, book Anytime. He's an adult so unless he's on Pacific which does not have Anytime, then he made a choice when he booked.  There's still flexibility to both of them.  No one is forcing you to eat at the same table every night. There are other options for MDR patrons who want some flexibility. But the ATD shouldn't be one of them.

What happens if he meets his soulmate on this cruise?  What if his soulmate has ATD and he has TD @ 6:45?  Do we destroy his hopes and dreams because you don't want to stand in a line for your dinner?  Sounds like Romeo (Traditional Dining) and his soulmate (Anytime Dining) neither one would be allowed to enjoy a dinner together.  My goodness is this what we have come to?

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well it seems like Princess has managed to make a bad dining situation worse over the years. First they add a second early TD time which takes a dining room from AT diners. If what I have read is correct they have compounded the problem by changing the TD times to unreasonably early hours.  They allow TD diners to jump from TD to AT which I'm sure will happen even more with the time change. I have sailed on Celebrity and will be sailing on Royal Caribbean next. Both lines limit the amount of passengers who can book My time dining. So if you want MTD you have to book early. In addition they allow you to prebook reservations for each day pre cruise online through the cruise planner. They also check that the passenger has chosen MY time dining. I have made reservations as well as just walked up at the desired time. I never had more than a 15 minute wait either way. The key is that they limit the passenger count and they don't allow TD to be seated in MTD. Princess has been a free for all ever since they started Anytime dining. People have been complaining on this board  about it for years. They are trying to please everyone by offering so many choices but all they are doing is creating a poor dining experience for everyone.

You can now book online for ATD on the day of? You used to have to call & I would be on hold from the minute they opened for quite some time, then they came back with "only times open are 5 & 8". If I could do it online it would be so much easier. Cruise planner being your account that you go to through Princess where your account is? I didn't see that earlier this month & we had anytime.

They always used to ask for your cruise card before entering the MDR so they could see if you were signed up for TD or ATD and enforce things accordingly.  I don’t know why they stopped. 

I think it’s simple, show up at the MDR you are assigned to based on the type of dining you chose. The benefit of TD is you get to eat at the same time at the same table with the same waitstaff every night.  The benefit of ATD is you can be flexible with your dining times although you may have to wait for a table at peak times. TD diners should not be allowed to hop back and forth between TD and ATD on a whim, it isn’t fair and you aren’t special.  The exception may be (as someone noted) to show up after the peak dining time and see if you can be accomodated without making an ATD diner have to wait.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pcsunlover said:

They always used to ask for your cruise card before entering the MDR so they could see if you were signed up for TD or ATD and enforce things accordingly.  I don’t know why they stopped. 

I

Yes, they used to do that. I think Carnaval still do.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

What happens if he meets his soulmate on this cruise?  What if his soulmate has ATD and he has TD @ 6:45?  Do we destroy his hopes and dreams because you don't want to stand in a line for your dinner?  Sounds like Romeo (Traditional Dining) and his soulmate (Anytime Dining) neither one would be allowed to enjoy a dinner together.  My goodness is this what we have come to?

Not sure what you’re not understanding...the MDRs are the only dining rooms on the ship that are designated for specific guests, TD in their dining rooms and ATD diners in theirs. If Romeo and Juliet want to dine together they can easily do so at the buffet or a specialty restaurant since those are open to everyone regardless of the type of dining they selected. If they want to dine together in one of the main dining rooms, then one of them needs to officially change their seating through the maitre d’.

10 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Glad to hear that the ATD dining rooms were being enforced on the Regal !

I hope that this is the case when we board....

Hopefully this was the same Head Maitre 'd,  Ignacio D'Agostino.

It was not. He only just boarded on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Seems to me that the real problem is when TD people decide to change to ATD but do not notify their Maitre' d that they will not be using their TD seats that night. That, in effect, blocks them from using those TD seats to seat others.

Tom

23 hours ago, EastBay Cruisers said:

We just got off the Regal last week, and each night, the Head Waiters checked the status of each diner coming in to Anytime Dining.  They did not allow pax assigned to Traditional Dining to take up space during Anytime Dining.  

This poster has sailed on the Regal, and finished their cruise last week.

The statement seems pretty clear.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Um, "elite ATD cruisers?"  Let's summarize - you make a choice when you book to choose TD or ATD.  ATD people are absolutely not allowed in the TD dining room and are subject to waiting when times are busy in their dining room.  That's a choice they make.  The TD always gets to walk in to their table at their time without waiting.  But if the TD diners decide they want to go to ATD, there is no issue with that?  So, really, what you are saying is that TD diners are the "elite" because they get to pick whatever they want, but ATD can only wait in line for their dining room while TD'ers decide they want to eat at a different time.  Are you telling me that if you came to your TD time and they told you you have to wait for 30 minutes because a bunch of ATDers came to your dining room that you wouldn't be up in arms?

You CHOOSE which dining option you want when you book in.  If I chose TD, I'd either eat at my TD spot, or I'd go to the buffet or specialty restaurant (or eat in port).  I wouldn't even consider that I can flip over to ATD whenever I felt like it because I made the choice when I booked.

• Like 1

If he selects TD then the answer is yes.  If he selects AT then he can show up when he wants.

But one should not select TD and then show up at AT.

I have been on Princess for over 40 days at a time.  We do select TD.  If on any day that does not work we do go to the Buffet or another venue, but we do not barge into AT.

The only time someone from TD should go to AT is if they first get approval from the Maitre D or head waiter and that should be for a permanent change or for a unique event such as when they make all seating open for a very late departure.

Edited by RDC1
  • Like 1

Then they both go to the Maitre D and request a permanent change to one venue or the other.

Yes what have we come to.  A world of rules are not convenient so we just ignore them, or rules apply to other people but not us.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, suekel said:

There is a woman on one of my FB groups who was sailing just recently to Alaska and they had rolled out the new dining times.  She said they were letting people who had TD to to Anytime during her cruise and it was a mess. She also said that she felt like they would start enforcing not letting TD people into Anytime.  She didn't say precisely how but that was the feeling she got.  

I think that may have been me.  I got the feeling they are once again enforcing the dining room assignment that was chosen when booked because others on the post have stated they were checking your key card when entering the anytime dining room and rerouting those passengers that showed up at a dining room other than their assignment up to the buffet or back to their dining room assignment if they haven't missed it.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think that may have been me.  I got the feeling they are once again enforcing the dining room assignment that was chosen when booked because others on the post have stated they were checking your key card when entering the anytime dining room and rerouting those passengers that showed up at a dining room other than their assignment up to the buffet or back to their dining room assignment if they haven't missed it.  

Hopefully they are now doing that for the entire cruise, instead of just the first night when they are making sure that people are finding the right room.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Eastbay-

Daniel,

Princess allocates a table for each guest.  to either Anytime Dining or Traditional Dining. That's because it takes about 90 minutes for the waiters to serve a 3 course dinner.  ( more or less).   Each party of diners takes up a table for about 90 minutes.

In the buffet,  there's no 3 course dinner to cook and serve.  So the tables turn over much faster.  As soon as people get up and leave,  a crew member cleans the table for the next guests.  It's strictly first-come-first-served. So, there's no equivalence between the buffet and the MDR.

If a guest assigned to Traditional Dining chooses not to attend at the time he/she signed up for, then he can go to a dining venue where the tables are not allocated.  There a lots of options:

1. Horizon Court.  ( Now, you don't like this, so let's look at other options).

2.  Dine in port.  This would be perfect for the poster who signed up for late TD because they wanted to stay in port as long as possible, but did not want to attend the late seating in TD  ( even though they booked the cruise a year in advance).

3.  Dine at Alfredo's - rarely any waiting and delicious food.

4. Free Room Service.  They are fast, no need to dress up or even put on shoes, and if they have time, they'll bring an entree from the MDR.

5. Too hungry to wait for late seating at TD?   Have a salad at International Cafe while you're waiting, or have wine and tapas at Vines.

6. Go up to Lido deck and get a burger from Trident Grill.

7. Order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner -- delicious, and you can choose the times.

8.  Use specialty dining - Crown Grill, Crab Shack, Sabatini's etc.  Rarely are those all filled up at one time.

The TD guests make a mistake in thinking that they can "jump over" the Anytime guests for whom space has already been allocated.  If I'm signed up for A.D.,  and a T.D. diner shows up to "jump over" me just because they are hungry, then I'm not a happy camper.  I'm following the rules as agreed upon, and I think it is fair that the T.D. guests should do the same. That's just common sense and courtesy.  -- EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

When you chose or are assigned to traditional dining or anytime dining, you are choosing your dining room assignment through the entirety of the cruise.  It is not up to the passenger on whether or not they want to show up to the anytime dining room if they have traditional dining anymore than it is appropriate for an anytime diner to show up to the traditional dining room and insist on being seated.  I can't understand why this is so hard for some to understand, especially those that are elite on Princess.   Is it truly they just don't know this is not how the system works or they just don't have any consideration for their fellow passengers?  Why wouldn't everybody have a back up plan for where and what time they choose to dine?  

If you are assigned to traditional dining and use anytime dining, you are tying up two seats in the main dining rooms, one empty seat in your traditional dining room assignment and then the one you are taking a table from those that are assigned to anytime dining.  There are a limited number of spots for each dining assignment for a reason and it is to keep from creating long lines and lack of seats in the dining areas.    I, for one and I am sure for many, are happy that Princess is starting to enforce this ... I hope they do it fleet wide!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EastBay Cruisers said:

Daniel,

Princess allocates a table for each guest.  to either Anytime Dining or Traditional Dining. That's because it takes about 90 minutes for the waiters to serve a 3 course dinner.  ( more or less).   Each party of diners takes up a table for about 90 minutes.

In the buffet,  there's no 3 course dinner to cook and serve.  So the tables turn over much faster.  As soon as people get up and leave,  a crew member cleans the table for the next guests.  It's strictly first-come-first-served. So, there's no equivalence between the buffet and the MDR.

If a guest assigned to Traditional Dining chooses not to attend at the time he/she signed up for, then he can go to a dining venue where the tables are not allocated.  There a lots of options:

1. Horizon Court.  ( Now, you don't like this, so let's look at other options).

2.  Dine in port.  This would be perfect for the poster who signed up for late TD because they wanted to stay in port as long as possible, but did not want to attend the late seating in TD  ( even though they booked the cruise a year in advance).

3.  Dine at Alfredo's - rarely any waiting and delicious food.

4. Free Room Service.  They are fast, no need to dress up or even put on shoes, and if they have time, they'll bring an entree from the MDR.

5. Too hungry to wait for late seating at TD?   Have a salad at International Cafe while you're waiting, or have wine and tapas at Vines.

6. Go up to Lido deck and get a burger from Trident Grill.

7. Order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner -- delicious, and you can choose the times.

8.  Use specialty dining - Crown Grill, Crab Shack, Sabatini's etc.  Rarely are those all filled up at one time.

The TD guests make a mistake in thinking that they can "jump over" the Anytime guests for whom space has already been allocated.  If I'm signed up for A.D.,  and a T.D. diner shows up to "jump over" me just because they are hungry, then I'm not a happy camper.  I'm following the rules as agreed upon, and I think it is fair that the T.D. guests should do the same. That's just common sense and courtesy.  -- EBC

Well said!!