Layover in Frankfurt to save money?

rdt10

Flights from Kansas City to Venice next May are crazy - $1,700 rt coach. I've been able to get flights to Europe the past couple of years from Celebrity Choice Air for around $600-700 rt. Playing on the system I can get tickets on United through Choice Air to Frankfurt Germany for $780 and it looks like Lufthansa to Venice would be less than $100. We are flying home from Barcelona after our cruise and the return flight doesn't affect the cost. I tried a few other airports like FCO and Milan and the prices are similar to flying into Venice. Also, what airline would you recommend from Frankfurt to Venice?

Is there enough to do in Frankfurt to spend a day or 2 before flying on to Venice or should we try for a flight to Venice the same day as arrival? Would we need to go through immigration and exit security after we arrive and then reenter if we want to proceed to Venice the same day or could we go through immigration in Venice?

Any pros or cons on this would be appreciated. I understand the potential problems of booking flights through the cruise line and restrictions they may have. 

Thanks for your help.

Rick

48 minutes ago, rdt10 said:

Flights from Kansas City to Venice next May are crazy - $1,700 rt coach. I've been able to get flights to Europe the past couple of years from Celebrity Choice Air for around $600-700 rt. Playing on the system I can get tickets on United through Choice Air to Frankfurt Germany for $780 and it looks like Lufthansa to Venice would be less than $100. We are flying home from Barcelona after our cruise and the return flight doesn't affect the cost. I tried a few other airports like FCO and Milan and the prices are similar to flying into Venice. Also, what airline would you recommend from Frankfurt to Venice?

Is there enough to do in Frankfurt to spend a day or 2 before flying on to Venice or should we try for a flight to Venice the same day as arrival? Would we need to go through immigration and exit security after we arrive and then reenter if we want to proceed to Venice the same day or could we go through immigration in Venice?

Any pros or cons on this would be appreciated. I understand the potential problems of booking flights through the cruise line and restrictions they may have. 

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Perhaps a better option is to chose a city you might want to visit and then travel by train from their to Venice.

Milan Italy is about 2.5 hours by train from Venice. Florence Italy is a similar distance.    

21 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Perhaps a better option is to chose a city you might want to visit and then travel by train from their to Venice.

Milan Italy is about 2.5 hours by train from Venice. Florence Italy is a similar distance.    

I would prefer that except they cost the same as flying into Venice. Frankfurt saves about $800 per person. Trying to decide if a layover makes sense or connecting with a local flight to Venice.

I'm one who thinks the area is underrated.  Frankfurt does have some charm (Roehmer (sp?), Sachsenhausen).  Or you can go to Mainz, Wiesbaden or Ruedesheim (and go by train and come back by boat or v-v).

You could also consider VIE and take a NightJet sleeper train (I think they run to Venice).

I've always viewed Frankfurt as a place to travel through rather than to, but not everyone shares my view. It sounds like your flights to Venice will be on 2 separate tickets rather than connecting flights on a single ticket? If that's the case, then allow several hours between flights. You would have to go through both Passport Control and Customs, then check your bags and check in for your second flight , plus go through security again. Most of those steps could result in a delay, never mind the risk of your first flight arrives late. And if you miss your second flight, you'll have to buy a new (more expensive) ticket for the next available flight.

If you can get connecting flights on a single ticket, then it's much easier. Your checked bags would be checked all the way through to Venice, and you'd only have to go thru Passport Control, and probably security again. And if you arrive late and miss your ongoing flight, it's the airline's responsibility to to get you on another flight. Best of luck.

Even if you had a through ticket and were in transit, you'd have to clear Schengen (in this case German) immigration in FRA (not as bad as entering the U.S. as a foreign national).

If on separate tickets, your bags may not be checked through, even if it is the same airline (YMMV) so you'd have to exit and wait to recheck in.

I would look at staying somewhere on the Rhine. Boppard is our favorite,  but there are many small towns, most easily reachable by train from the airport. 

Passport check and Customs is pretty easy, compared to the US. If you were exiting Europe  (for the US, for example) it would be a bigger issue. But flying FRA to VEN is pretty easy.

If you stay in FRA, or Frankfurt for a couple of days, you will be fine, particularly if it is your first visit. Don't EVER turn down the opportunity to spend time in Europe. If nothing else, remember that. Don't miss any option of spending time in Europe. Have been there probably 15 times, never less than 2 weeks, and can't wait for our next trip (2020, after spending 3 weeks there...Germany and Austria...this May/June).

9 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

I'm one who thinks the area is underrated.  Frankfurt does have some charm (Roehmer (sp?), Sachsenhausen).  Or you can go to Mainz, Wiesbaden or Ruedesheim (and go by train and come back by boat or v-v).

I'd add Bingen to the list - it's on the opposite side of the Rhein from Ruedesheim.

Going down the Rhein towards Koblenz from here (on either side) is the picture-postcard pretty part of the river, with high slopes on either side and castles on the tops. There are lots of pretty villages and towns to explore - and, of course, plenty of good German wine.

So if a stop in Frankfurt makes sense because of the effect on the cost of air travel, then I would give this 4 to 5 days because all of this is worth a trip in itself.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

Have you checked any other layover airports? You could try AMS (Amsterdam) as a connecting airport on a single ticket.

I checked many of the major airports in Europe and Frankfurt and Zurich were the only ones with the cheap fares. The cost of a flight from Zurich to Venice ate up most of the savings, so I settled on Frankfurt as the cheapest option.

Thank you CruiserBruce and Globaliser for the info on the small towns around Frankfurt. We have wanted to spend some time in Germany so the layover is not a negative for us if there are interesting sights to see.  

Are the towns easily reached by train? Can we catch the train at the airport? Do you know if there is a baggage storage location at the airport so we could leave our larger bags until we fly to Venice.

Any recommendations for airlines to get from Frankfurt to Venice or ones to avoid?

Thank you for the help.

Rick

Indeed, the Rhein gorge between Bingen and Koblenz is the highlight of any Rhein cruise, and you can get the best for comparatively-little money.  I think K-D (Koeln Dusseldorfer) has ferry sailings.  Look for day schedules.

There are long-distance and regional/subway trains right at FRA (buy tickets in advance through bahn.com for best savings on l-d trains, doesn't matter for shorted/regional rides).   Last time I flew out of FRA, it as the night train from Rome to Munich and then ICE to FRA (right in the middle of the alleged refugee crisis where borders were being shut) before flying on to Colombo. 

The rail stations for the Rhein towns are usually right in the middle of town by the waterfront.  Cross the road and you're at the ferry dock, etc.  Very nice for car-less travel.  There might be some change of trains required and Mainz train station is a ways away from the ferry pier IIRC.

You'll have to look at the FRA website for left luggage.  Used to be at every train station for free/cheap but may not be so these days (Munich Hbf had them at least in 2010 and maybe even 2012).

5 hours ago, rdt10 said:

I checked many of the major airports in Europe and Frankfurt and Zurich were the only ones with the cheap fares. The cost of a flight from Zurich to Venice ate up most of the savings, so I settled on Frankfurt as the cheapest option.

I like Zurich as a tourist city more than Frankfurt.  

I would go with Zurich then take the train to Venice.  There is a morning direct train from Zurich central station is Venice is around 6 hours.   I would expect an economy (2nd class) fare pre-booked from a North American address would be around $150 US.

Zurich to Millan is around 3 1/2 hours by train.  

It has been a while, so I don't remember which long distance trains off the top of head call at Zurich airport.  So you may have to do a transfer at the downtown central station.

Edited by em-sk

13 hours ago, rdt10 said:

Any recommendations for airlines to get from Frankfurt to Venice or ones to avoid?....

I would imagine you would prefer a nonstop flight? In which case your option is Lufthansa for this 1:15 hour flight.

Edited by SFCAcruiser
typo

14 hours ago, rdt10 said:

Do you know if there is a baggage storage location at the airport so we could leave our larger bags until we fly to Venice.

Yes: see https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/travel/transfer.detail.suffix.html/article/travel/luggage/storage.html

14 hours ago, rdt10 said:

Are the towns easily reached by train? Can we catch the train at the airport?

The only thing I'd add about this is that a quick look at www.bahn.de/en suggests that if you start at Frankfurt airport, you're likely to need to change trains at Mainz-Kastel (which is on the opposite side of the river from Mainz "proper") to get a train that runs along the river. But there's a line that runs on either side of the river, so you can choose which side to travel on. And you can cross the river by ferry at many towns along the way. So this is a very easy way of doing things; I still have very fond memories of a similar trip.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

The Rhein Gorge looks fabulous. My wife has wanted to go to Germany for a long time so having to spend a few days in the area sounds great.  We will probably use the train and want to do a boat cruise up the gorge while we are there.

Are there any hotels or B&B's you could recommend?

Any suggestions for a boat trip up the gorge to see the castles? There appears to be several companies that do them. Also would a local ferry be an option to stop at a few other towns and cover the same area? We could also use the train, but wouldn't get the view from the river.

If this is getting too far off topic let me know if I should post it somewhere else.

Rick

You'd get the view of the river on the train - they run right by or close to the bank on both sides but nothing beats being on the river on a sunny day.  The onboard bar is reasonably priced too if you want to enjoy a bottle of wine.

I'd go up to Ruedesheim the day you get in and overnight there.  Next morning, take the ferry up to Koblenz, stay a night, and catch a ferry back down the next day.  Or you can stop and overnight along the way.  All depends on how long you want/have to stay.  Except for not having a room on board, it's the best of a Rhein cruise.

http://www.kdrhine.com/rhineschedule.htm

On 10/22/2018 at 6:06 PM, cruising cockroach said:

I'd go up to Ruedesheim the day you get in and overnight there.  Next morning, take the ferry up to Koblenz, stay a night, and catch a ferry back down the next day.  Or you can stop and overnight along the way.  All depends on how long you want/have to stay.  Except for not having a room on board, it's the best of a Rhein cruise.

Finally booked our flights and got a reasonably good rate. We currently plan to start in Ruedesheim and take the trip up the river and train back, stopping at some of the towns along the way.

Thanks for all of the help.  Rick

On 10/25/2018 at 6:21 AM, rdt10 said:

Finally booked our flights and got a reasonably good rate. We currently plan to start in Ruedesheim and take the trip up the river and train back, stopping at some of the towns along the way.

A great plan - hope you enjoy it!

On 10/25/2018 at 12:21 AM, rdt10 said:

Thanks for all of the help.  Rick

Nice choice.

image.png.972f4744c609865ad35377541d41cf00.png

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

TripAdvisor would be the best place for that.

Or Google. Go to Google Maps, zoom in to Rüdesheim, and search "hotels". It will bring them up on a map with ratings, and you can even search specific dates for pricing on them all.