Eurodam Mexico Diverted Oct. 21

rj42

2 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

We have friends that boarded today.  Only bummer is that they brought clothes for hot weather.  They just heard that close to 1000 from the previous week RSVP cruise stayed on board for this cruise.  Should be a lively cruise!

Huh?  I just disembarked E'dam four days ago.  Wasn't a RSVP cruise (which are usually 7 days).  Was an 18-day Circle Hawai'i.

14 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Huh?  I just disembarked E'dam four days ago.  Wasn't a RSVP cruise (which are usually 7 days).  Was an 18-day Circle Hawai'i.

Friends boarded Eurodam today for Mexico in San Diego- perhaps there was a large group that boarded in Vancouver.  We did the same last year from Vancouver- was sold as a 12 night cruise.   They later opened it up to a five night coastal and 7 night Mexico.

For those who might end up in San Pedro and visit the Iowa, if you are going with a veteran, sign them up online for a special, proper welcome aboard.  We did that for my Dad who served in the Navy during WWII and it was really special. They don’t get many from WWII and he was the star that day. I videoed his welcome aboard. 

For those “disappointed” about not having hot weather, we’ve been in the low 90s. So keep the hot weather gear an sunscreen handy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Current EUDM Capt. is John Scott. He'll be there until the day you board. You'll probably get Capt. Eric Barhorst; young guy and another good one! Current CD is Towanna Stone. CD for Dec is still unk

Thanks Copper..  Now back to the original topic.. 😉

11 hours ago, rj42 said:

About to get off the Eurodam. The Captain announced that since Hurricane Willa is forecast to hit Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta this week, they’re changing the itinerary to SF, San Pedro, Catalina, and Ensenada for the Mexico 7-day leaving October 21.

The ship also suddenly tilted severely this morning at 05:30, with crashing heard from destroyed plates and glasses in the dining rooms. To add  insult to injury, they’re getting a surprise CDC inspection. 

Thank you for the information.  Is John Scott the Captain?

The wife and I walk the dogs on the SD embarcadero all the time. Was neat to see the two ships there yesterday (Sunday). We chatted with some of the check in staff on the dock and they said a lot of people came down from San Fran to take this cruise. Thankfully, they indicated, Holland allowed them to rebook on another cruise in a couple weeks.

I find San Francisco entirely missable and would be pissed if I was diverted to there. Just don't go to the Tenderloin where you'll have a fun time dodging the poop and needles.

Being from SoCal I would want to rebook also. We like Catalina every 5-10 years for a few hours. San Pedro, um, no thanks. Just went to SF last year and have no burning desire to return. I think we may have been in the tenderloin district- Market Street. Lots of drugs in the open. Motorcycle cop rode out to the top stair and told a duo making a deal to take it elsewhere and get out of our way. Lots of prostitution activity in the afternoon. 

Sudden tilting was likely to avoid a collision, since I looked outside after my “Poseidon Adventure” fears settled, and it was dark and foggy outside, with a harbor buoy meaning the stabilizers were lifted.

You can get to Long Beach, LA/Hollywood, and Anaheim from San Pedro, so I’m sure the ship is busy planning excursions.

The ship started in Vancouver, which draws mostly Canadians, with about 1000 staying on to go for some Mexican sun. So they shouldn’t be as disappointed as the Californians boarding to go to...California.

The weather report looks good after the hurricane blows through, so it hopefully should be fine for upcoming cruises, including my Norwegian Bliss cruise next Saturday (although driving a go-kart at sea in a hurricane would be memorable).

Category 5, 155 mph wind and 18 inches of rain predicted right between PV and Mazatlan.,

The Independent•October 22, 2018

It was a 50/50 chance for an El Nino year this year. I wonder if the odds have changed. Just back from South American ports where vast prior civilizations for eons were wiped out from time to time  by "climate change" in the form of El Nino's. Long before the incas captured our modern imagination.

Edited by OlsSalt

7 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Felt the sharp turn early in the AM.  Wine bottle came down, fortunately it was on the bathroom counter and didn't break on the fiberglass floor.  I'll be posting photos and a trip report of the first 4 days of the cruise soon.

Beginning of trip report with many photos here:

http://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2018/10/eurodam-coastal-trip-review.html

I was on the ship on Vancouver to San Diego portion, felt the ship tilt sharply near San Diego but nothing too severe. 

Heard Captain Scott announce the itinerary change on the PA, and I'm sure many people were miffed by the change. However, it is in everyone's best interests to avoid a hurricane. I did wonder if HAL gave anyone the option to reschedule. Frankly, the contract of carriage states clearly that ports and itinerary can be changed at any time without compensation. 

Then, before disembarkation I heard the overhead announcement of a surprise CDC inspection.... what a morning for the Eurodam!

On 10/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, pc_load_letter said:

The wife and I walk the dogs on the SD embarcadero all the time. Was neat to see the two ships there yesterday (Sunday). We chatted with some of the check in staff on the dock and they said a lot of people came down from San Fran to take this cruise.

Just curious..how did you get inside the terminal to talk with check-in staff ?  

14 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Just curious..how did you get inside the terminal to talk with check-in staff ?  

In San Diego there are kiosks outside with staff checking boarding passes or ship cards for re-entry before they let you enter the terminal.

Edited by *Miss G*

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

In San Diego there are kiosks outside with staff checking boarding passes or ship cards for re-entry before they let you enter the terminal.

Ok. So it was Port security and shore side staff.  That makes sense. Check-in staff are inside.  

11 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Has anyone seen any recent damage reports for PV and/or Maz? Very curious on the details of what damage occurred in these two ports.

Willa skipped Vallarta, stayed more north and made landfall south of Mazatlan and north at the state of Nayarit. 

I donot know any details of mazatlan but heard about flooding in Nayarit.

Puerto Vallarta not that much wind,  had rain and high waves for some hours. During that time the Malecon, Calle Morelos (near the church and the pier were closed. High water in various rivers was monotored. 

So little or no damage in Puerto Vallarta.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ine said:

Willa skipped Vallarta, stayed more north and made landfall south of Mazatlan and north at the state of Nayarit. 

I donot know any details of mazatlan but heard about flooding in Nayarit.

Puerto Vallarta not that much wind,  had rain and high waves for some hours. During that time the Malecon, Calle Morelos (near the church and the pier were closed. High water in various rivers was monotored. 

So little or no damage in Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks for the update Ine..

EUDM in L.A./San Pedro today. Capt. John Scott slowly backed her alongside Berth 93 at the World Cruise Center around 11:55 AM. All Aboard is 5:30 this PM. She'll be tendering off Avalon, Catalina Island tomorrow, then heading for that Mexican Metropolis Ensenada, Baja California, and Hussong's Cantina, before returning to her winter home of San Diego on Sunday, 28 October 19. That excellent Lido Market salad bar is still worth a visit! :classic_biggrin:

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Image may contain: sky

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: bridge, sky, ocean, outdoor and water

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

• Like 1

OMG, Is Hussong's still there? I bet it got all gussied up from its more "free wheeling" early Ensenada days. It was the most ubiquitous bumper sticker seen in  Southern Calif college towns 40 years ago.  Slapped on unwillingly I suspect but it did the job creating a buzz about Hussongs.