Red Hook to JFK transfer

FennoExpress

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but I couldn't find anything with the forum search tool. We'll disembark the QM2 on 11th November and have a flight back home from JFK in the evening. What is the best option to transfer from the cruise terminal to the airport? Is there a Cunard transfer and what does it cost? Also how much should we budget for a regular taxi?

45 minutes ago, hihilo said:

CUNARD will most likely offer a ' day tour' of the city that ends at JFK. You can also take a taxi, or UBER to the A/P but that sounds   like a   L O T   of boring time to hang around the airport.

I know but as we have all the luggage a daytrip to Manhattan is out of the question. JFK will be a miserable ending to a great week on the Atlantic:classic_sad: But we'll have a look at the Cunard city tour.

FENNO---- If you take the CUNARD day-trip….. the luggage rides around with you, under the coach.... as you visit the various stops/points of interest.  Then its unloaded at the terminal at JFK when you exit the bus. 

Here is the info I have about the Cunard tour with airport transfer that was offered this past June. This is from the "Motorcoach Transfers" section of the "Brooklyn, NY Transfer Booking Form" available at the Tour Office.

Manhattan Highlights and LGA/JFK Airport Transfer

Approximate Call-off Time: 8.30am

Price: $99 per guest

For flights 6.00pm or later only. Will arrive at LGA/JFK at approximately 3.00pm.

(Subject to minimum number of bookings)

Many thanks for all the info:classic_smile: Our flight departs at 5.45pm so the city tour is out of the question. But the Cunard transfer sounds ok, I guess we'll take that and try to kill the time at JFK before our check-in opens. Unfortunately we don't have any OBC so it will be right out of our own pockets.

Edited by FennoExpress

12 minutes ago, FennoExpress said:

Many thanks for all the info:classic_smile: Our flight departs at 5.45pm so the city tour is out of the question. But the Cunard transfer sounds ok, I guess we'll take that and try to kill the time at JFK before our check-in opens.

Be aware that the "on board" price for the Cunard coach transfer to JFK is $49.00. The $40.00 price MCC Retired quoted is the price for booking the transfer in advance. If you think you will have extra OBC to spend, booking on board works well. Otherwise, to get the $40.00 price, contact your travel agent (or Cunard depending on how you booked the voyage) to have the transfers added to your booking.

Edit: Just saw you added that you won't have OBC to spend. Therefore booking the transfer ahead of time would be the way to go.

Edited by bluemarble

I've taken both the Cunard transfer bus and ARECIBO. I recommend ARECIBO, clean safe and reliable. Their phone number is (718) 783-6465. Call after you clear customs and they will be there in 5-10 minutes.They have a flat rate, which I think is around $40-$45, that will be for the two of you. Then when you get to JFK, I would use the $55 you saved on the transfer to buy a one-time pass into your airline's club lounge. Besides the free drinks, the lounge should have some sort of light dining for lunch and will be considerably more comfortable then waiting in the terminal. The money you save on drinks and lunch will off-set the cost of the one-time lounge pass for your traveling companion. Of course if you are flying in Business or First Class the club lounge is complimentary. 

Jack

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Be aware that the "on board" price for the Cunard coach transfer to JFK is $49.00. The $40.00 price MCC Retired quoted is the price for booking the transfer in advance. If you think you will have extra OBC to spend, booking on board works well. Otherwise, to get the $40.00 price, contact your travel agent (or Cunard depending on how you booked the voyage) to have the transfers added to your booking.

Edit: Just saw you added that you won't have OBC to spend. Therefore booking the transfer ahead of time would be the way to go.

How does this price compare with a yellow cab fare please. And do you have to go through your travel agent?  Is it not available in the VP?

Edited by babs135
addition

2 minutes ago, babs135 said:

How does this price compare with a yellow cab fare please. And do you have to go through your travel agent?  Is it not available in the VP?

Someone else will have to comment on cab fares.

But sadly no, the ability to book Cunard transfers is not available within the Voyage Personaliser. On Cunard's US site, you can book transfers as part of the initial booking process if you book on the Cunard site. Otherwise you do have to work with your travel agent (or call Cunard if you booked directly with them) to have transfers added to your existing booking.

I would guess, that with FENNO's flight being at 5:45 pm..... using the day tour ought  to work.   ((I know  I know---- it says 6 pm flights or later.))

We are talking about a tiny 15 min. difference.    

Missing seeing neat stuff in NYC ,  & instead---- *Killing * time @ an airport , sounds dismal.

However-- Whatever you do-----  ENJOY!    

I've done the NOV.   T/A's a few times.... they are fabulous.

looking at that picture with the row of taxi ... the next lane is a row of "black cars" aka private livery ... you'll probably see adverts for this service inside the terminal as you're heading thru customs

these cars will take you to the airport for a flat rate - quoted at the curb - it was a few dollars more than the taxi but not on a meter and was an SUV - a nice new clean SUV - that took us direct to the airport

easy peasy - no reservation need ... there is a dispatcher. Told him where we needed to go and we were loaded and gone in minutes. We had an early flight and I was worried but made it in PLENTY of time.

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 4 years later...

Be careful, as there are unscrupulous drivers who try to gouge you, as is what happened to us. Our flight was changed to an earlier time, so we felt we were at his mercy. And I know better than to hop in a car without first determining the fare. I assumed (I know, I know) that we could just get a cab outside the terminal for a flat fare, thereby not worrying about pre-booking, or rushing to our 3:00 flight. We made it just on time and the driver had the 🏀🏈🏐 to gleefully say, “I got you here on time!”  Oh, well, he needed the money more than we.

Just booked a westward QM2 TA, and Cunard has a transfer from Red Hook to JFK for $80 - and I think that was for both of us, not per person, but don’t quote me on that! (Clearly, you can’t trust my judgment- or lack of it. 👻)

On 10/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, hihilo said:

CUNARD will most likely offer a ' day tour' of the city that ends at JFK. You can also take a taxi, or UBER to the A/P but that sounds   like a   L O T   of boring time to hang around the airport.

The only tours I can see are only bookable for those doing the 15 round trip transatlantic. Nobody else is allowed to join according to My Cunard. 

On 10/21/2018 at 6:57 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

When you come out of the Customs Terminal there is a cab stand for "T" cabs right in front of the door. I believe their posted rate is around $55 to JFK, about $10 more than ARECIBO

thumb_IMG_2433_1024.thumb.jpg.b387e84e240c995efbc4b36dabbccf11.jpg

The posted rate to JFK last December was, indeed, $55. However, keeping in mind that this is the US, one also needs to factor in a tip for the driver. We ended up using the taxi in December due to a mishap with our pre-booked ride where the company could not get a replacement car to us in time to meet the schedule.

1 hour ago, techteach said:

We pre-booked Red Hook to JFK, a large car to handle all the luggage, last December it was $200, this July it is $300. Perhaps I need to call my Cunard TA!

That’s absurd!  Uber XL is 1/2 that price. Hopefully TA can whittle that down.