Question about which ships go to South Pacific

sunlover12

We're considering a cruise to the South Pacific in 2020.  Oceania's website shows only the Regatta will be going.  The schedule for 2019 shows more cruises and both the Marina and Regatta will be in the South Pacific.  The Marina will be in South America in early 2020. Does anyone know if the South Pacific is becoming a less popular destination?  We've never been there and are interested in the Auckland to Papeete cruise but aren't too crazy about 18 days on the Regatta.  Thanks in advance for any information.

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

We're considering a cruise to the South Pacific in 2020.  Oceania's website shows only the Regatta will be going.  The schedule for 2019 shows more cruises and both the Marina and Regatta will be in the South Pacific.  The Marina will be in South America in early 2020. Does anyone know if the South Pacific is becoming a less popular destination?  We've never been there and are interested in the Auckland to Papeete cruise but aren't too crazy about 18 days on the Regatta.  Thanks in advance for any information.

South Pacific is Nordstrom's. Caribbean is Walmart. Pick your poison.

For Oceania I only looked at last winter and this coming winter.  Oceania had a few Papeete round trip each year.  I compared the other three cruise lines with similar itineraries and chose Oceania.  (I wanted more than a stop in French Polynesia, which would be during a transpacific or world cruise segment.). 

I sailed twice in Tahiti first with Princess and then Oceania.  You need small,ship to anchor closer to the islands. Found Oceania more boring at night for music.

the flights are awful no matter what line you are on.maybe you should look at the PG as it is all about the islands. All the food and shows.

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I did a further search for all Oceania ships January - March 2020.  The schedules look like they are set and Regatta is the only ship in the South Pacific.  I found it interesting that both Marina and Regatta will be in there in 2019.  Maybe O is downsizing in that region. 

I took the Marina last Feb.around S.Pacific islands and had no problem getting to even smaller islands,as they just stayed offshore and take small boats back and forth.Would NOT go on smaller ships,just because of lack of tub in cabins.Also rooms much smaller ,with less extra rest.onboard,etc.

I m glad I went and area beautiful,but looked very similar to Hawaii to me. Plus, airfare and all other expenses much hi er.Just a real treat to see all the world,an experience like not other and am so grateful to be able to do it. Have been doing this 30 yrs now and still MORE to see.

We will be on the Marina in February in FP. About 100 days out and availability in all cabin categories. O does have two charters on the Marina there, pre and post our cruise. My TA says our cruise is barely 1/2 filled. 

Oceania stopped running the Marina to Australia/NZ after Spring 2015 because, even though they ran a full ship on that leg of the cruise cruise, occupancy on the tweener Cruises was horrible. They dropped back to R ships to equalize room demand and supply.

Unless they get charters requiring an O ship, I would be surprised to see one plying those waters in the near future.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:07 AM, pinotlover said:

We will be on the Marina in February in FP. About 100 days out and availability in all cabin categories. O does have two charters on the Marina there, pre and post our cruise. My TA says our cruise is barely 1/2 filled. 

Oceania stopped running the Marina to Australia/NZ after Spring 2015 because, even though they ran a full ship on that leg of the cruise cruise, occupancy on the tweener Cruises was horrible. They dropped back to R ships to equalize room demand and supply.

Unless they get charters requiring an O ship, I would be surprised to see one plying those waters in the near future.

‘You’re off by a year, we were on the February 23 2016 cruise on Marina from Sydney to Papeete. 

Friends were on the Marina last February for Tahiti--loved the ship and food--but the weather was awful the entire cruise.  Two years before they did Tahiti with Princess--in October.  Perfect weather.  After some research they found the time that Marina is usually in Tahiti is during poor months--

On 10/30/2018 at 11:38 PM, ellbon said:

... you should look at the PG as it is all about the islands. All the food and shows.

If you're really interested in an immersion in French Polynesia's stunning geography and interesting culture, I strongly second the idea of the Paul Gauguin.