Boarding pass

robindina

I don't have a printer either. I have : friends with printers, a library that has printers, a hotel with a printer. Lots of places to get things printed out for you.

IF you cannot do any of those things then you can still get it printed at the port but it is not really a big deal to find somewhere or someone to print a few pieces of paper for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

In Long Beach it can be printed at the port, but it takes a lot longer. 

It would be nice if they could email you a QR code like the airlines and be good to go.

I love that the airlines do that, so convenient! 

47 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't have a printer either. I have : friends with printers, a library that has printers, a hotel with a printer. Lots of places to get things printed out for you.

IF you cannot do any of those things then you can still get it printed at the port but it is not really a big deal to find somewhere or someone to print a few pieces of paper for you.

I know it isn’t a big deal, just curious about a electronic version, with technology nowadays you never know. 

What is rolling out very soon are individual wearables to take the place of your sign and sail card. You wear a gadget like a watch and it will remind you what you wanted to do. It will charge drinks or trinkets, let you in the sauna, on and off the ship, and into your room. It will tell the muster crew where you are if you have not checked in. It will also let families keep track of each other.

There are plans to use mats that weigh you to make sure the right person has the wearable on their wrist. Imagine your ten year old takes your wearable and racks up $300 in the arcade. 

5 hours ago, Moviela said:

What is rolling out very soon are individual wearables to take the place of your sign and sail card. You wear a gadget like a watch and it will remind you what you wanted to do. It will charge drinks or trinkets, let you in the sauna, on and off the ship, and into your room. It will tell the muster crew where you are if you have not checked in. It will also let families keep track of each other.

There are plans to use mats that weigh you to make sure the right person has the wearable on their wrist. Imagine your ten year old takes your wearable and racks up $300 in the arcade. 

While I realize that your post is off-topic, I'm curious. Where did you get this information?  While it's true that Princess is currently using wrist bands, there has been nothing posted that I'm aware of that said Carnival would start using wrist bands. John Heald posts a poll about every three months asking people if they would like to have wrist bands instead of the S&S cards. The results are always the same. The majority of those responding say "No!" to wrist bands. 

6 hours ago, Moviela said:

I think you are getting this confused with other cruise lines.  Generally speaking, the higher end, more innovative cruise lines are rolling out some of this, and even doing more with smart phones.  Eventually, Carnival will catch up, and invest money, but I doubt anytime soon.

Also, RCCL now has electronic boarding passes, and I'm sure other cruise lines have it too. 

Edited by Havingfun2010

7 hours ago, Moviela said:

Where did you hear this?  As others have stated I know Princess is using wristbands, but I haven’t heard anything about Carnival using wristbands. 

On my next cruise I plan on just showing them the boarding pass on my phone. I will have a printed copy as a backup just in case but hope it works. I don't print ANY paperwork for our cruise except for our luggage tags so it would be nice to eliminate the boarding passes as well. There's just no reason to print anything anymore. Like someone else mentioned, I wish the Carnival would get on board with just having a QR code like the airlines. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Where did you hear this? 

Carnival has been issued 3 patents for using various technology like RFID, Bluetooth, and NFC for passenger experience.

There will be no big announcement. It will be like the elevators on Vista and Horizon, no buttons in the cab. When you board you will find a dongle in your mailbox.

2 hours ago, Moviela said:

Carnival has been issued 3 patents for using various technology like RFID, Bluetooth, and NFC for passenger experience.

There will be no big announcement. It will be like the elevators on Vista and Horizon, no buttons in the cab. When you board you will find a dongle in your mailbox.

One of the reasons I do not cruise RCL... I do not want anyone to know my every move on the ship - or off.

I know they have cameras everywhere and the SS card can have a chip in it but no thanks to something I have to "wear".

3 hours ago, Moviela said:

A dongle in my mailbox?!? Eww! I hope not!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

One of the reasons I do not cruise RCL... I do not want anyone to know my every move on the ship - or off.

I know they have cameras everywhere and the SS card can have a chip in it but no thanks to something I have to "wear".

what are the others?

Bill

13 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

The wrist bands are just for convenience, so that you can swim etc without worrying about leaving your card laying around.  The chip in the card, is often times used for finding missing kids, or seniors.  It is not used for tracking your movement. 

On 11/5/2018 at 6:59 AM, teknoge3k said:

On my next cruise I plan on just showing them the boarding pass on my phone. I will have a printed copy as a backup just in case but hope it works. I don't print ANY paperwork for our cruise except for our luggage tags so it would be nice to eliminate the boarding passes as well. There's just no reason to print anything anymore. Like someone else mentioned, I wish the Carnival would get on board with just having a QR code like the airlines. 

Yeah, I would think that as long as you can pull up the boarding pass on your smart phone and the bar code can be scanned by the port agents, no need for printed copy except as a backup.

I know a while back, firemanbobswife posted a link for electronic boarding passes but I didn't use it so cannot comment on how it works.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:56 PM, Moviela said:

It should be noted that Carnival also owns Princess which is where it's most likely those patents were issued for as they've already been rolling out their Ocean Medallions. I see this coming to Carnival eventually, but it'll probably be a while.

I think you will see this on the Carnival line faster than you think. The stone age did not end because we were out of stones. People found a better way and it was quickly adopted. The dongle approach to security and sales has arrived. If you are interested see the patent for the dongle and door construction. 

Carnival Dongle Patent

17 hours ago, Moviela said:

I think you will see this on the Carnival line faster than you think. The stone age did not end because we were out of stones. People found a better way and it was quickly adopted. The dongle approach to security and sales has arrived. If you are interested see the patent for the dongle and door construction. 

Carnival Dongle Patent

Disney has done something like this for their theme parks.  It seems to be quite popular.  

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/understanding-magic-band/

If not already done, I would assume they are working to implement it on their cruise ships too.

EDIT: Oh, and since what Disney has done sounds a lot like what Carnival has in their patent, I'm not sure what the Carnival patent offers as being "new" or "innovative".  Seems like that horse has already left the barn.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser