White board for cabin door?

TexasCruiser84

Are NCL's cabin doors magnetic? Cruising with family on the Joy next spring and I am putting together an Alaskan cruise themed gift basket for Christmas.  I'm thinking of adding a little vinyl whiteboard and dry erase markers to it so that we can leave each other messages.   

3 minutes ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Are NCL's cabin doors magnetic? Cruising with family on the Joy next spring and I am putting together an Alaskan cruise themed gift basket for Christmas.  I'm thinking of adding a little vinyl whiteboard and dry erase markers to it so that we can leave each other messages.   

Just a "so you know" thing...  The Norwegian APP includes a way to message/call people through the app while on board as well...  Like text messaging but directly within the NCL app.

That's a cute idea though...  I don't think most doors are metal from what I recall however.

I don't understand your comparison. I see no harm in letting a family member passing by know I'm "at the gym" or "drinks in the obervation lounge".  What are strangers going to do, break into my cabin? Seems like the worst that can happen is some immature adult writes a different message. For that reason, I won't leave out the markers. 

Agree with TexasCruiser.  We leave notes for family members on our door all the time.  I'm not really interested in the app because I don't want to take my phone everywhere I go...I'm sure it works for some.  And if a passer by happens to read my message and should care to join, well more the merrier.  We've never had an issue with it but I do agree that the cuter the magnet, the riskier it is that it won't be there at the end of the cruise.  Sad, but true.

For messages between cabins, you can always just leave phone messages on the room phones. It's free and easy! Just dial the room number and leave a voicemail. The phone will be flashing when they arrive back at their room to let them know they have a message.

We did this while with a group.  I bought the white board at Dollar Tree and bought stickers to decorate the edges.  We never had anyone leave negative messages, except my husband (haha).  Everyone would say where they were or when and where to meet.  Worked great.  The kids still talk about it.

We are planning on white boards with our extended family group.  I am buying one for each cabin.  All in my immediate family and some in our extended family will get the app too which we expect will help with communications.  A general message on the white board ("… and ... are playing shuffle board.  ... and … are at the talk in the atrium about ..., etc. if you want to join" is way easier than calling four different rooms, especially when we aren't really needing to get hold of someone, but just wanting to be inclusive).   I haven't tried these on a cruise, but I think it sounds like a great idea. We don't have any kid/teens in our group (party  of 11, ages 23-82).  Also we are all on eight (special door to go through after the common areas on the Getaway with a bunch of those mini suites with the large balconies), so maybe will get a little less traffic going by.   If we get unwanted messages and find the white boards annoying, we'll just take them down.  I'm all for them as a great means of communication, though.  For the phone app, I mostly see it if I specifically want to know where someone is / contact them.  I can see my mostly using it to contact my 20 something son who is getting the unlimited wifi and will have it with him most of the time.