Coffee Card - FYI

Mikew0805

So on both my recent Brilliance and Majesty sailings they attempted to use the punch card as 1 punch for each shot of espresso. The Brilliance took it a step further and wanted a third punch for the Venti (large) size even though that only has two shots of espresso just like the Grande (medium). Majesty was only 1 punch for small, and 2 punches for med & large.

Well this is not what the package states when you buy it, in fact it says  "Any 15 espresso based drinks." Any being the key word. Both times, I spoke to the Beverage Manager and showed them a copy of what I purchased on the website, including the description, and the T&C's. They agreed that the wording is bad, and wrote on my cards one punch for each drink, no matter the size, and informed their staff as well. It's just too bad that everyone else was not treated the same that had the card. 

I think all the ships are headed this direction, as the last 4 times I sailed on Majesty, it was one punch per drink. The extreme punches (3 for a large) on the Brilliance actually makes the Coffee card more expensive than just buying the drinks individually. Now, I am only saying this as they did this for me because I brought it to their attention. They were telling people who bought them on the ship, which I think is fair because you can choose not to buy them, they just need to be more clear on the website. I for one, read the terms and conditions of almost everything I buy online, and expect to get what I paid for. I really think that RCI should make itself clear, as to how they intend it to work, and be clear with their advertising.

After mentioning this to corporate, the agent said "Each ship does it differently." To which I responded.. "How is Royal Caribbean okay with that?" No response. I left it at that as I had no complaint, as I got what I paid for anyway. I'll avoid the coffee card in the future.

• Like 1

It's ridiculous. One punch per drink makes it a good deal.  Three punches makes no sense, you're losing money. I was going to by one online for my teens for Allure next week. I think I'll wait until I board to see their policy and whether it's worth it. 

Edited by dcgrumpy

Tried it once when we were on Anthem and after the first time at the cafe when they were doing it per shot of espresso we went back to guest services to get a refund.

The biggest problem with the card (at least back then) is that it was being touted as per beverage not per shot.

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

So on both my recent Brilliance and Majesty sailings they attempted to use the punch card as 1 punch for each shot of espresso. The Brilliance took it a step further and wanted a third punch for the Venti (large) size even though that only has two shots of espresso just like the Grande (medium). Majesty was only 1 punch for small, and 2 punches for med & large.

Well this is not what the package states when you buy it, in fact it says  "Any 15 espresso based drinks." Any being the key word. Both times, I spoke to the Beverage Manager and showed them a copy of what I purchased on the website, including the description, and the T&C's. They agreed that the wording is bad, and wrote on my cards one punch for each drink, no matter the size, and informed their staff as well. It's just too bad that everyone else was not treated the same that had the card. 

I think all the ships are headed this direction, as the last 4 times I sailed on Majesty, it was one punch per drink. The extreme punches (3 for a large) on the Brilliance actually makes the Coffee card more expensive than just buying the drinks individually. Now, I am only saying this as they did this for me because I brought it to their attention. They were telling people who bought them on the ship, which I think is fair because you can choose not to buy them, they just need to be more clear on the website. I for one, read the terms and conditions of almost everything I buy online, and expect to get what I paid for. I really think that RCI should make itself clear, as to how they intend it to work, and be clear with their advertising.

After mentioning this to corporate, the agent said "Each ship does it differently." To which I responded.. "How is Royal Caribbean okay with that?" No response. I left it at that as I had no complaint, as I got what I paid for anyway. I'll avoid the coffee card in the future.

sad i had a great experience on the oasis of the seas ordered frappuccino and large ones ALL THE TIME ONE PUNCH

2 hours ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Tried it once when we were on Anthem and after the first time at the cafe when they were doing it per shot of espresso we went back to guest services to get a refund.

The biggest problem with the card (at least back then) is that it was being touted as per beverage not per shot.

The website still says.   "Indulge in your favorite brews any time of day with a card that entitles you to any 15 specialty espresso-based coffees throughout your vacation,"

It's BS that some ships do it per shot.  

I think what frustrates me most is that RCI knows they do it differently on each ship. One would think, they would want consistency. Buying the card on a "per shot" basis does not make much financial sense for the consumer. 

14 hours ago, cot427 said:

Had it on Jewel (Feb 2017),  Anthem (May 2018) and Explorer (Oct 2018) and all 3 times, they did one punch per drink, no matter if I got a small, medium or large or 1 or 2 shots of espresso. 

All 4 of my last Majesty Cruises (Aug 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017, Sept 2017) they were one punch per drink no matter the size. Now all of a sudden, it is per shot. 

To try and offer a coffee card and do punches by shots of expresso seems like false advertising.  Have taken a few Princess cruises and really enjoy their coffee card.  Doesn't matter what size of drink, it's one punch per drink.  That just seems fair.  I definitely wouldn't recommend getting the card.

45 minutes ago, denamo said:

To try and offer a coffee card and do punches by shots of expresso seems like false advertising.  Have taken a few Princess cruises and really enjoy their coffee card.  Doesn't matter what size of drink, it's one punch per drink.  That just seems fair.  I definitely wouldn't recommend getting the card.

why i bought frappuccino with whipped topping and chocolate syrup i spent 31 plus tax which was 15 coffee drinks always bought large size i saved plenty.

I'm on the jewel ta right now. I have bought the coffee card 2x before on 2 ta's. Neither time was I ever charged for more than 1 stamp. Both these cruises were last year. On the 5th, I went to get a coffee specialty with my card and i was told a medium was 2 punches and a large was 3. I said wait a minute as I did the math in my head, its cheaper if you want a large to just buy it! I told them to forget it and got my card, went downstairs to guest services, and canceled it. Regular free coffee tastes much better!

Edited by jean87510

18 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Good to know!  Once the drink package price goes up, I’ll likely get the punch card. It’s good on multiple cruises, right?

Search for a thread by Merion Mom. She mentions the coffee card is good on multiple sailings.

Edited by Tee & Chilli
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Search for a thread by Merion Mom. She mentions the coffee card is good on multiple sailings.

I used one card on the Brilliance in July as well as on the Serenade in September. On the Anthem and Brilliance they charged one punch per coffee (any size). On the Serenade they charged one punch per size (1 for a small, 3 for a large). 

Denise

Okay, I cannot believe RCI is still having this problem!

AUGH!

I sailed on the Brilliance in May of 2017.  Hubby wasn't drinking much so did not want/need a drink package.  But he does love his specialty coffee.  So I ordered the card online where it clearly says per espresso drink.  But when we got on board they wanted to charge per shot.  I used my package to buy his venti soy lattes and used the card for my cappuccinos.  It worked out, but it was frustrating.

When I got home, I emailed customer service, showed them the screenshot from the web and asked them to make this right.  They gave us $50 OBC for our next cruise.  And they did agree that it was supposed to be one punch per drink, not based on espresso shots.  C'mon, the amount of coffee in a shot costs what?  A penny, at most?  The minute they punch per shot, the card is useless.  And I would have thought they would have cleared it up by now.  But apparently not.

I guess we should all inundate customer service with complaints at this point because this is ridiculous.  Even at 15 drinks for $31, RC is making a killing.  The milk costs far more than the coffee!  What are they thinking?!?!

Lastly, there is nothing on the cards to limit their use to a single sailing.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the fact that it could be used on any of their ships was also supposed to be a selling point.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:50 AM, johnjen said:

Yeah, if they're nickel and diming over "punches per espresso shot" the card isn't worthy of the ink that's on it.

This is true i hope the pr department will see all of your posts and make it right. yes you should be able to get a double shot if you want it. it says any speciality coffee. I agree

20 hours ago, Denise W said:

I used one card on the Brilliance in July as well as on the Serenade in September. On the Anthem and Brilliance they charged one punch per coffee (any size). On the Serenade they charged one punch per size (1 for a small, 3 for a large). 

Denise

Hope they get this right it say's specifically ANY COFFEE and not additional for size i will be on the seranade in a few weeks. hope pr person is reading this i always get large