TA changed price after already confirmed

Hendy59

We booked an Alaska Land and Sea trip which included airfare, paid our deposit and received our confirmation through a TA.  Four days later I receive another confirmation and the price is now higher than the original.  They are trying to tell me that they made an error and the 3rd person in our room has to pay an additional amount for the airfare.  The original confirmation included an up-charge for the airfare we chose because of the flights we selected.  I am really upset about this because it is an additional $550. 

My argument is that I am not allowed to change my trip once I pay my deposit, why are they allowed to change it?  Has this every happened to anyone and should I continue to fight it?

30 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Did your original confirmation include air fare for the third person?

If it didn't, pay what you owe  or cancel the whole trip and rebook if you think you can get a better price.

To me I would say it includes airfare for all three passenger.  This is what my original confirmation looked like and then below is the new one they sent me.

image.png.2e247ce788a8a60a9c84125171f9adc3.png

Unfortunately  if not covered in pricing  you can not cancel air fares  unless you paid the premium to do so or flying first class .That being said  That would be the last time I used that TA  . TAs are required to check over their quotes before finalizing costs . However ,many of them use escape clauses about mistakes  in their quotes .I personally stay far away from those & any TA who might charge a cancellation fee  . 

We hope it all works out for you & doesn't ruin your trip :classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Sounds like the TA made a mistake at the beginning.  The TA should make some kind of an adjustment for his/her error.

I wouldn't use them again.

They did make a mistake but told me there is nothing they can do about it.  They told me HA caught the mistake and sent it back to them.  I told them they should eat the mistake but she said they would not do that. Our group of 17 has spent over 50K with this TA and we will never use them again.

But, we will be on a trip of a lifetime and we will have a wonderful time regardless.  By June I won't ever remembered that the TA was terrible!!!

On one of our trips our TA made a mistake that ended up costing me money. They recognized what they did when we discussed it and they offered me OBC in the amount it cost me. I believe they have the means of making this right for you - or at least they can make an effort to keep you as a returning customer if the choose.

15 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I think you need to talk to a higher up at the TA & see if they can make it right.

Are  they claiming scribner's error?   If so, they likely have insurance  to cover  errors and omissions. 

ASK them...  (IMO)

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Why is the third person air add on so much higher?  Was it some type of promotion for passenger 1 & 2 that would not apply to the third passenger?

The trip included airfare, but now I find out the airfare is only for the 1st and 2nd passenger.  The TA never mentioned this when booking, I think she was so excited about $50K in sales she forgot and did not add it.  She only added the up charge that we needed to pay for the nonstop flights. They did admit the agent made the mistake and HA corrected it. 

I am am going to check with a friend who is an attorney to see if I can file a claim against the TA. Also, I will send an email to someone in a higher position. 

Thanks for everyone’s help. 

Then in this case, it was a simple double error.  It was a mistake on the TA's part and on your part for not knowing what your charges should be and  catching the error.

Haven't you ever made a mistake and had someone else correct it?

Do the right thing and pay the fare that you now know should be paid.

11 minutes ago, Hendy59 said:

Why would you say this is my error.? I had no idea I had to pay the airfare for the third person. I figured the TA knew what she was doing. 

I suppose the question is - since you are now aware that the airfare should have been more in the first place, would you have made the reservation knowing that?

I have had a similar thing happen recently. You are doing a lot of business. You trust the rep is doing her part. You get to a point where you both agree - this order costs this much. You pay your deposit.

I get it. The question is good: would you have booked your $50,000 order if it had been quoted $50,500 instead?

But that question also applies to the TA: are you going to let $50,000 in business walk over your agent's $500 error?

I would ask to speak with a supervisor. Maybe some OBC can help fix it. I would (and have) split the difference. I've gone to the mattresses over it in the past but nobody ends up feeling good about that.

Good luck!

Edited by Jammu2
Clarification

Wow, you are really going to file a claim against the ta for a legitimate mistake?  You should have paid it.  Does it suck to find out afterwards?  Yes it does, but we are all human and make mistakes.  Yes she probably should have offered some obc to cover it, but didn’t.  

The question above is a good one.  Would you have booked in the first place if you knew about it?  If yes, let it go and move on.

10 hours ago, Jammu2 said:

I get it. The question is good: would you have booked your $50,000 order if it had been quoted $50,500 instead?

But that question also applies to the TA: are you going to let $50,000 in business walk over your agent's $500 error?

The OP is part of a group booking and paid only for his cabin. He did not pay the whole $50,000 fares.

Maybe we should reverse the question. If the TA overcharged him by $550, would the OP smile and say that's OK, just keep the money or would the OP demand a refund?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hendy59 said:

Why would you say this is my error.? I had no idea I had to pay the airfare for the third person. I figured the TA knew what she was doing. 

Why wouldn't you know all the costs involved with booking a cruise? Do you always just pay out money without knowing expected costs?

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Why wouldn't you know all the costs involved with booking a cruise? Do you always just pay out money without knowing expected costs?

I"m sorry, I think this is ridiculous!  The OP was told what the cost was and accepted it.  If he/she was given an incorrect amount how the heck would he/she know?  There were three airfares on the confirmation.  We all know how different airfares can be with various booking agents, from day to day, even hour to hour.  

Personally, I think Jammu2 is correct with their post above.  Split the cost difference.  It's not great but it's not worth fighting over $500, either, on a $50K deal.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hendy59 said:

It is unacceptable tghe TA  refuses  to make good on  their  mistake.   If  they do not  have a  business insurance policy  to cover any errors   of this sort, WHY do they not?     I would be very concered a bout that.        

The reason to use a  TA is for their expertise and experience.  If you w anted to consider all issues and deal with them on your own, y ou don't need a TA..     For all  the good this  TA has (not) done, you could have booked on line.

This is not your error, IMO.  It is the error of  the TA.   IF they make you pay and   they refuse, be certain HAL learns about that.  Apropriately soil their name in the industry.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

OP,  Has your  TA  'seen the light'   and    acknowledged this is their error?  Hopefully they  thought a bout this issue and now recognize they have to make you whole.    It is just plain and simple good business to admit their error and open  their  checkbook. 

Did you   ask them about errors and omissions insurance?         Unimaginea ble  to me they don't have coverage.  All by itself, that says a  ton bout them  IMO

Edited by sail7seas

The question is who made the error.  If HAL's system was at fault, it's not the TA's fault that the price initially quoted was wrong.  If the TA gave an incorrect quote, then the TA should eat the mistake.

Which country are you from OP?  Which cruise did you book and was there some kind of promotion with free air involved?

On 11/8/2018 at 8:20 AM, Homosassa said:

I had a confirmation with the cost on it when I booked and 4 days later they sent me another confirmation with a new price.  The first confirmation included everything so that is the price I expected to pay.