Beaches

csullivan55

We are cruising Dec 8 to the Eastern Carribean, San Juan, St Maarten and St. Kitts.  Can we just get off  the ship and walk to a beach or do we need to take a cab or bus?  We are not interested in any tours or adventures.  We just want the beach.  We have booked adventure for grandson 18 years and his friend but do we have to accompany him?

37 minutes ago, csullivan55 said:

We are cruising Dec 8 to the Eastern Carribean, San Juan, St Maarten and St. Kitts.  Can we just get off  the ship and walk to a beach or do we need to take a cab or bus?  We are not interested in any tours or adventures.  We just want the beach.  We have booked adventure for grandson 18 years and his friend but do we have to accompany him?

In St. Maarten there is a beach in town that is walk-able, or you can take the water taxi. The water in that area did not used to tbe the cleanest in the Caribbean, but it may have improved. In San Juan and St. Kitts a cab or other transportation will be necessary.

52 minutes ago, csullivan55 said:

In San Juan, there are some public beaches a short cab ride away.  We've cruised out of San Juan and stayed at a hotel on Isla Verde Beach and that's about 20 - 30 minutes away.  There are a few that are closer.  I think one of the closest to the port is Escambron.  I've never been there myself, so I don't have actual first hand experience. 

In St. Kitts, the four main beaches I know of are Frigate Bay (Caribbean side); the beach at the Marriott with a day pass (Atlantic side, water can be rough); South Friars Bay (Caribbean side); Cockleshell Beach (Caribbean side, southern end of island). 

We've never been to Frigate Bay or the Marriott's beach, so can't comment on what they are like.  They are the closest to the port.  South Friars has two areas.  One is Shipwreck (black sand, more rustic, narrow beach, but has a restaurant overlooking the water w/great views, free loungers/palapas with purchase of drinks and/or food).  The other is Carambola Beach Club (more upscale, wider beach, loungers/umbrellas that they charge for).  We've never been to Carambola but have been to Shipwreck.  I liked Shipwreck, it was perfect for us, but it's not for everyone.  I would go back.  Both Shipwreck and Carambola are about 15 minutes from port. The other is Cockleshell, which we've also been to.  There are a few places a long the beach, the most popular is the Reggae Beach Bar/Grill.  I'm not familiar with the others.  Many other places along the beach where you can get loungers/umbrellas.  This is a wider beach and the water is fairly calm.  Great views.  That's about 20 - 30 minutes from port.  I also really enjoyed Cockleshell and would also go back.  

A bit of research on your ports will really help you plan your day.  A bus or cab might be a good deal to get to the beach that suits you best!  Google (Beaches in _____________fill in the blank).....lots of info online....or pick up a guidebook at your library!

2 hours ago, csullivan55 said:

Your 18 year old would be considered an adult. No need to accompany him - just make sure he knows what time to be back on board!  Also although not able to drink on some cruise ships he can drink on the islands - a friendly warning probably wouldn’t hurt to   make sure he is aware of his surroundings etc.