Mini Blog - Live from Voyager - Barcelona - Miami

Travelcat2

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I just realised there is another issue - ESTA.  I don't think this applies to Canadians?   As a Swiss I have to have one.  If Ken applies for an ESTA so he can use his CH passport he has to state any other former OR current nationalities and I think the Americans would not issue the ESTA if he says he has a US passport.  Which of course he would have to say.   The ESTA is a pain in the neck.  And US nationals are about to discover this because the EU is bringing in something similar and all Americans are going to have to apply for one.  (Luckily we Swiss won't!  we belong to Schengen and the EU can't impose this on us...just as well too because there are places around here when if hiking you aren't sure if you are in Switzerland, France or Italy!!)

I think you are probably correct about the ESTA. Our eldest son who has lived in BC, Canada for 10 years now and has dual British and Canadian nationality can only use his UK passport to return to Canada if he has an ETA which is the Canadian equivalent of the ESTA. When he applied for one so that he could use his UK passport to return to the UK he was told that since he had a Canadian passport he must use that one when returning to Canada. I would imagine the US system is broadly comparable.

Surely he can use his UK passport to enter the UK and Canadian to return?  Ken uses his US passport to enter the USA and when we land here out comes his Swiss one!  (If not he would get a date stamp for a 90 day stay in Schengen and then be charged with over-staying).  I am really grateful to gnomie and Wendy for highlighting these problems...   now since we are more than seriously "off topic" I will shut up!

Gerry

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Surely he can use his UK passport to enter the UK and Canadian to return?  Ken uses his US passport to enter the USA and when we land here out comes his Swiss one!  (If not he would get a date stamp for a 90 day stay in Schengen and then be charged with over-staying).  I am really grateful to gnomie and Wendy for highlighting these problems...   now since we are more than seriously "off topic" I will shut up!

Gerry

Please don't shut up.  All of this is related to cruising - getting to the ship and back and what people have to go through at airports.  The only reason that the topic of passports, fingerprints, etc. might do well as a separate topic is because more people will read it and respond with their experiences.  This valuable information is kinda lost here but I don't believe that anyone minds.

25 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Please don't shut up.  All of this is related to cruising - getting to the ship and back and what people have to go through at airports.  The only reason that the topic of passports, fingerprints, etc. might do well as a separate topic is because more people will read it and respond with their experiences.  This valuable information is kinda lost here but I don't believe that anyone minds.

OK Jackie - I will give this some thought overnight and start a new thread to deal with these items in the morning.  Unless, that is, you start one in the meantime in which case I shall happily contribute!  I just felt terrible about "hi-jacking" your excellent blog on your cruise, that's all!!

Edited by Hambagahle

37 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

OK Jackie - I will give this some thought overnight and start a new thread to deal with these items in the morning.  Unless, that is, you start one in the meantime in which case I shall happily contribute!  I just felt terrible about "hi-jacking" your excellent blog on your cruise, that's all!!

Gerry

I find this conversation very interesting even though it does not pertain to us. Please continue it. 

Sheila

10 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I just realised there is another issue - ESTA.  I don't think this applies to Canadians?   As a Swiss I have to have one.  If Ken applies for an ESTA so he can use his CH passport he has to state any other former OR current nationalities and I think the Americans would not issue the ESTA if he says he has a US passport.  Which of course he would have to say.   The ESTA is a pain in the neck.  And US nationals are about to discover this because the EU is bringing in something similar and all Americans are going to have to apply for one.  (Luckily we Swiss won't!  we belong to Schengen and the EU can't impose this on us...just as well too because there are places around here when if hiking you aren't sure if you are in Switzerland, France or Italy!!)

Yes, I mean no, ESA OR ESTA does not apply to Canadians.  We have our own visa system that is a visa-waiver system that's built in and thus more or less invisible.  But it's there.

I applaud the EU for doing something similar--can't wait to see how upset everybody will be.  Hope it won't apply to Canadians!

Not quite what I meant ...  and with Jackie's permission I will reply.   If someone with a Canadian passport goes to the USA does s/he need to have an ESTA?   I think not.  But you would know.  And tomorrow I will (probably) start a thread on these questions so we don't have to "squat" this great blog from the TA crossing...

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Not quite what I meant ...  and with Jackie's permission I will reply.   If someone with a Canadian passport goes to the USA does s/he need to have an ESTA?   I think not.  But you would know.  And tomorrow I will (probably) start a thread on these questions so we don't have to "squat" this great blog from the TA crossing...

Gerry, you do not need anyone's permission to post (especially not mine).  Really think that it is a good idea to start a new thread as I am finding the topic more and more interesting (for instance, I have no idea was ESTA is).  There is so much to learn from all of you!

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

Here is an explanation for ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Thanks.  Good explanation.  Canada is not part of this.  I find it odd that the explanation below implies there is no visa at all required by Canadians.  I always understood it to be an implied visa, referred to as VWP, but I can't find any reference to that.  Maybe it changed when they instituted the ESTA:

Canadian Citizens, ESTA and U.S. Visas
  • In most cases Canadian passport holders are not requited to hold a U.S. visa to enter the United States directly from Canada.
  • Canada is not a part of the Visa Waiver Program and Canadian passport holders do not need and cannot apply for ESTA.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Gerry, you do not need anyone's permission to post (especially not mine).  Really think that it is a good idea to start a new thread as I am finding the topic more and more interesting (for instance, I have no idea was ESTA is).  There is so much to learn from all of you!

Hi Jackie - - I lost your email address and wanted to send you a picture from our Thanksgiving dinner.   If you  send

me your email address I will email it to you.   donna4869 at gmail dot com

Again, thank you for including us on Thanksgiving and I was delighted to read what you wrote about the cruise.

We go out again on Regents Navigator on Jan 4th to celebrating our 50th  anniversary.  

Donna and Ken f