Question Upgrade to Suite

taylortime05

55 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I  am absolutely positive about my statement. We typically book Concierge or Aqua class cabins depending on the price differential between them and a regular verandah. Our last cruise had a price drop before final payment that allowed us to upgrade from Concierge to Aqua for no additional cost. That was a no brainer. The current cruise noted in my signature had the differential between Concierge and Aqua at booking as an additional $29 per person. Again, a no brainer. At that time (over a year and a half ago) the cost of a sky suite was a total of $1200 more (not per person). We discussed it at the time and decided to stay with Aqua, but could have done the booking. I know it makes sense to look at the per person, per night cost, but we generally don't. We look at the overall cost of the cruise, the itinerary, and the time of year and make our decisions accordingly. We always use a TA with whom we've been pleased over the years. I don't know if that's making a difference. We generally price out cruises we're interested in several different places and select what fits best. In this case, bidding on the upgrade, even at the minimum accepted bid made no sense for us. Others may value things differently than we do and are certainly entitled to do so.

I cannot see your signature to figure out how long is this cruise that you are referring to that a sky suite was a total of $1200 more at one point in time.  Will you please share how long is the cruise?  I could have upgraded after final payment for a total of $1600 with 2 additional perks (go best) for our upcoming 14-night cruise from Aqua to a Sky Guarantee but we chose to pay $2000 instead to secure 6145 (Millennium).  CC is now offering those in Aqua to MoveUp for $750pp - total of $1500, ouch.

Edited by CEOofVacation

9 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I  am absolutely positive about my statement. We typically book Concierge or Aqua class cabins depending on the price differential between them and a regular verandah. Our last cruise had a price drop before final payment that allowed us to upgrade from Concierge to Aqua for no additional cost. That was a no brainer. The current cruise noted in my signature had the differential between Concierge and Aqua at booking as an additional $29 per person. Again, a no brainer. At that time (over a year and a half ago) the cost of a sky suite was a total of $1200 more (not per person). We discussed it at the time and decided to stay with Aqua, but could have done the booking. I know it makes sense to look at the per person, per night cost, but we generally don't. We look at the overall cost of the cruise, the itinerary, and the time of year and make our decisions accordingly. We always use a TA with whom we've been pleased over the years. I don't know if that's making a difference. We generally price out cruises we're interested in several different places and select what fits best. In this case, bidding on the upgrade, even at the minimum accepted bid made no sense for us. Others may value things differently than we do and are certainly entitled to do so.

7 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

12 nights on silhouette Dec 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to clarify, but I still do not understand how much per person you are paying for AC on this cruise or typically.   Either for the total 12 days or on a per day basis?  This information will allow me to compare it to what I would consider a good rate for a SS.

Thank you.

First of all, thanks for all of your input. Based on all I’ve read, I have withdrawn my bids. Without the 4 perks and extra points, in my mind the extra space isn’t worth it. We’re already in Aqua and we love Blu.

I called the Captain,s Club last night and they told me I would get the Suite points, but seeing your responses above and going to their website, that is not true.

In response to your pricing questions, we’re paying $5800 for 12 nights or approximately $241/pp per night. It’s very pricey as it’s a Christmas/New Year’s Cruise. The minimum upgrade bid for Sky Suite was $1200 or $50 per night per person.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:18 PM, taylortime05 said:

Do you think it's worth upgrading if you could win it at minimum bids per person? We would lose access to the Persian Gulf.  We would be able to eat in Luminae instead of the Blu.  We would be able to go to Michael's club but we have the premium beverage package. I'm trying to rationalize if it's worth the extra money.  Appreciate your feedback.

I would not upgrade in this case.  Losing the Persian Gulf on a Caribbean cruise would be a shame, and certainly not worth the larger cabin.

2 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

I would not upgrade in this case.  Losing the Persian Gulf on a Caribbean cruise would be a shame, and certainly not worth the larger cabin.

When you say Persian Gulf do you mean that bit of Mediterranean sea in Western Asia or the hot stone beds in the Spa.... either way I would still go for the suite if you could afford it.

There is an almost intangible extra one gets in a suite in the way the crew treat you and Michael's is more than just a free bar. 

27 minutes ago, groryjm said:

There is an almost intangible extra one gets in a suite in the way the crew treat you and Michael's is more than just a free bar. 

Unless you are in a Penthouse suite or possibly a Royal Suite, the only special treatment a sky suite guest gets is really only when dining in Luminae and Michaels.  When we last stayed in a lowly Sky Suite, we could not even get the assistant maitre d' to let Blu know that we would be going there the following evening.  She was great otherwise.  Another Sky Suite couple who was going to dine with us in Blu spoke with Blu hostess directly and got us reserved sitting in Blu.  We love dining in Luminae and chatting with the bartenders in Michaels.

Edited by CEOofVacation

20 minutes ago, groryjm said:

When you say Persian Gulf do you mean that bit of Mediterranean sea in Western Asia or the hot stone beds in the Spa.... either way I would still go for the suite if you could afford it.

Just quoting the OP, knowing it was an "auto-correct" but had to laugh.

47 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

Just quoting the OP, knowing it was an "auto-correct" but had to laugh.

Lol,  I had to go back and re-read my original post.  That was definitely auto correct!  It made me laugh too!

Edited by taylortime05