Questions that don't make sense

We were talking about cruising over dinner recently, including the topic of the top 3 things that we would like to see more of here on cc, and the subject of questions that people ask on social media about cruises came up. We know there's lots to learn about cruising & we knew less than most when we started 🙂 Half the fun, right??

One that came to mind, where a lady had posted on FB saying that they had booked a cruise and were sailing in a few weeks. She asked, for her husband, did anyone know if they had <insert brand of Aussie beer> on board a particular RCI ship on an Australian cruise. Now the 'correct answer' would have been that a selection of beers, including foreign (mostly American) and local beers would be available, and there was a fair chance that that particular brand would be available.

But the point was, what did it matter. Either they would have that beer or they would not. What difference would it make, they had already paid for the cruise, were beyond the cancellation period, so knowing the answer now would not have made a difference, I guess unless he was going to just not go if his favourite beer was not going to be available? If it was that vital, maybe they should have asked BEFORE they booked and paid. What would he do if they ran out mid-cruise?

Anyway, we thought it strange :classic_unsure:

•  

11 minutes ago, mr walker said:

We were talking about cruising over dinner recently, including the topic of the top 3 things that we would like to see more of here on cc, and the subject of questions that people ask on social media about cruises came up. We know there's lots to learn about cruising & we knew less than most when we started 🙂 Half the fun, right??

One that came to mind, where a lady had posted on FB saying that they had booked a cruise and were sailing in a few weeks. She asked, for her husband, did anyone know if they had <insert brand of Aussie beer> on board a particular RCI ship on an Australian cruise. Now the 'correct answer' would have been that a selection of beers, including foreign (mostly American) and local beers would be available, and there was a fair chance that that particular brand would be available.

But the point was, what did it matter. Either they would have that beer or they would not. What difference would it make, they had already paid for the cruise, were beyond the cancellation period, so knowing the answer now would not have made a difference, I guess unless he was going to just not go if his favourite beer was not going to be available? If it was that vital, maybe they should have asked BEFORE they booked and paid. What would he do if they ran out mid-cruise?

Anyway, we thought it strange :classic_unsure:

•  

I cannot read all of your post for some reason, it is formatted quite weirdly.

Anyway, I think the gist of it was sometimes people make you wonder "*****?"

I don’t think the question of whether a particular beer would be available was a deal breaker, perhaps they just wanted to know ahead of time so they could make another choice if it wasn’t. Think of the ‘research’ you could do finding a new favourite beer if yours wasn’t available!

Personally, I’m a big planner and I would book first, ask questions later as the answers wouldn’t change my mind about the cruise, just fine tune it. 

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

FB has it's good points and bad, just like any other forum but it does tend to get less knowledgeable queries and also some very interesting responses.

Totally agree with you.  I have had to unjoin a number of forums because the questions drive me nuts - and the same questions get asked regularly.  

eg.  What does cabin xxxx look like?  (Like all the others in that category!!!)

Will I like the food on xx ship?  How would I know?

And let's not get started AGAIN on the topic of what money to use in the islands, or tipping/gratuities

I can understand the questions experienced cruisers would find strange and insignificant. But when we started cruising everything was so exciting and new to us.  Sometimes I yearn for those days to return.  We always spent the first day exploring every corner of the ship.

Now we are in the high 20s number of cruises it's more like putting on the comfy slippers. It suits us we enjoy cruising but the first time excitement has long gone.  First time on HAL and noweigan coming up so maybe some spark might return.

Edited by Tara Jane

While I am quite happy to discover it all on board and try new things, some people have significant anxiety and need to be assured that their familiar things are available.  I also know of a few people who would make life miserable for their partner if they found their beer of choice wasn't available.  They may want to get the sulking over with before it impacts on the first days of the holiday.

43 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Even worse some if the thread titles here on CC that give no idea what they want.

or line/ship specific questions that don’t mention the line or ship, so you get to guess.

Makes it like detective work but does make it a bit confusing if it relates to policies that are different on the various lines.

When I booked my first cruise I didn’t have FB or cruise critic. I just worked everything out for myself. Most of the time now I don’t bother replying to questions on FB because there is usually always someone who will argue with the answer I give. Saying that I am wrong and they are right. 

56 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

When I booked my first cruise I didn’t have FB or cruise critic. I just worked everything out for myself. Most of the time now I don’t bother replying to questions on FB because there is usually always someone who will argue with the answer I give. Saying that I am wrong and they are right. 

Pretty much my experience also. So much misinformation is posted on FB, much of it in the 3rd person - so many people know people who did this, or had that done to them! And woe betide anyone giving different information. Statistics prove there are more 'experts' on FB than anywhere else on earth :classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, cruisine21 said:

I know what you mean. Especially as ships policies  and the enforcing of those policies really do vary on ship to ship, line to line.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, Tara Jane said:

I can understand the questions experienced cruisers would find strange and insignificant. But when we started cruising everything was so exciting and new to us.  Sometimes I yearn for those days to return.  We always spent the first day exploring every corner of the ship.

Now we are in the high 20s number of cruises it's more like putting on the comfy slippers. It suits us we enjoy cruising but the first time excitement has long gone.  First time on HAL and noweigan coming up so maybe some spark might return.

I too understand the excitement and ignorance in some of the questions posed on CC.  Some questions are crazy, others redundant and irritating at times, but I'm sure I have, and still do ask some stupid questions.  Like Tara Janes said, I still yearn for the days of exploring every corner of the ship.  

The ones that get me are actually not from newbies, but from experienced cruisers.  My two favorites are:

1) The lady who went into a detail regarding packing only old clothes that could be left rather than having to pack and take them home.  She said that she left them for the poor people who worked on the ship because it was such a wonderful thing for them to have the gift of her used worn out clothing.  Bless her heart...…...😜

2) The woman who was giving formal night suggestions.  She said she simplified things by buying an oversized black tee shirt and then wore a belt around it.  I'm sure she was the belle of the ball, and quite a head turner. 

Seriously folks, you don't want to miss some of the things you learn on CC!!! 

9 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I too understand the excitement and ignorance in some of the questions posed on CC.  Some questions are crazy, others redundant and irritating at times, but I'm sure I have, and still do ask some stupid questions.  Like Tara Janes said, I still yearn for the days of exploring every corner of the ship.  

The ones that get me are actually not from newbies, but from experienced cruisers.  My two favorites are:

1) The lady who went into a detail regarding packing only old clothes that could be left rather than having to pack and take them home.  She said that she left them for the poor people who worked on the ship because it was such a wonderful thing for them to have the gift of her used worn out clothing.  Bless her heart...…...😜

2) The woman who was giving formal night suggestions.  She said she simplified things by buying an oversized black tee shirt and then wore a belt around it.  I'm sure she was the belle of the ball, and quite a head turner. 

Seriously folks, you don't want to miss some of the things you learn on CC!!! 

Imagine if I left my Reggie’s, they could send them home for the family to live in.