Travel Pillow?

Mike981

I particularly like the horseshoe-shaped inflatables, because they stop the number one thing that wakes me up: my head falling over, either forward or to one side.

But to be honest, to get any decent sleep when flying, you have to feel psychologically "at home" on an aircraft.

We both use an inflatable horseshoe pillow.   Many of our flights are quite long- ten plus hours.  We find they help us sleep.  Unless of course we have snagged the lay down seats in business class.  I am used to sleeping on planes so it is not unusual for me to be asleep before blast off.  

22 hours ago, Globaliser said:

But to be honest, to get any decent sleep when flying, you have to feel psychologically "at home" on an aircraft.

I think this is a very important psychological point, often overlooked.

I usually sleep little and poorly on planes no matter what seat I'm in, (and I do try to do flatbeds for long flights), mostly because I am a very private person, living alone, and am very uncomfortable with the feeling of 'public sleeping'. 

This probably doesn't apply to the OP, and the answer to the question is that yes, neck pillows help but aren't the whole answer to sleeping on planes. An eye mask is invaluable and ear plugs may help altho' I don't find they block enough noise to be worth the discomfort.  I'm uneasy about sedatives of any sort because you could be at a disadvantage in an emergency but that's a personal decision, and I don't refuse a glass of wine so who am I to talk!

BTW Inflatable neck pillows are easier to pack away but do need adjusting during ascent and descent with the cabin pressure changes.

Edited by jollyjones

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, Mike981 said:

Do these help? I just can't sleep when flying. Most of our flights are 4-6 hours long and not a huge deal to get through, but I would love to get :30-:60 minutes of sleep. All suggestions welcome.

I don't like them.  I always think it's too much of a bother to carry them.  Most long haul flights have headrest, with wings that fold out.  Solves the issue of head roll for my.  I also have no issues sleeping on a plane and will go to sleep right after I eat.

Oh I'm jealous of you Joseph. Planes, trains and automobiles, doesn't matter how tired I am I can't fall asleep. If anything, I get just to the edge and I do the "huh" noise and I'm awake. I joke with my wife and kids the only time I can fall asleep is when I'm driving with them in the car.

Thank YOU ALL for your help and time. I think I will give one a try, if anything just to be more comfortable.

We use one called Bcozzy from Amazon.  It goes completely around your neck so you sleep with resting your head forward or to the side.  The horseshoe ones make you arch your neck too much.  We each have one in different colors.  They attach to your bag.  About $30. DH used it going to China and he was able to sleep.

And yes take an eye mask and ear plugs to give you the best chance at rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Cabeau pillow from Amazon for long-haul flights. It’s a bit bulky, but worth the hassle of carrying it. It kept my neck fully upright on a few flights to/from London and enabled me to sleep a few hours when there was no adjustable headrest on my economy seats. 

On 11/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

We use one called Bcozzy from Amazon.  It goes completely around your neck so you sleep with resting your head forward or to the side.  The horseshoe ones make you arch your neck too much.  We each have one in different colors.  They attach to your bag.  About $30. DH used it going to China and he was able to sleep.

And yes take an eye mask and ear plugs to give you the best chance at rest.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Bcozzy pillow.  I will use in it in January.  I had purchased one with the tiny beads and only used it once as it was so uncomfortable.

I end up using whatever pillow device I take to make my back and hips comfortable. I think we have tried most designs over the years but none are perfect. I'm going to light weight inflatable devices by Klymit for back and hip support ...... we'll see how it goes. Yet to decide on a neck pillow but it will probably be our Cabeau ones. 

20 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

I end up using whatever pillow device I take to make my back and hips comfortable. I think we have tried most designs over the years but none are perfect. I'm going to light weight inflatable devices by Klymit for back and hip support ...... we'll see how it goes. Yet to decide on a neck pillow but it will probably be our Cabeau ones. 

I have found that for back and hip support, I do better with propping my legs up slightly. My legs are rather short, and I found that a blow up travel footrest takes the pressure off of my back.