Differences between QM2 and QV/QE

Host Hattie

A few recent posts have got me thinking, we tend to think that things are similar on the 3 ships but what are their differences ?

I'm thinking more about services and how things are done rather than layout.

I'll start off -

No warm canapes in the Commodore Club in QM2, available on QE/QV

No evening meals in the Golden Lion, available on QE/QV

Any more ?

We have cruised on all 3 ships and without doubt our favourite ship is QM2 and is a good thing that there are differences between the 3 ships. We have just returned from Roundtrip TA and whilst onboard booked 2 more on her for 2020 and already have one booked for November 2019. As Captain Wells says QM2 is a liner not a cruise ship and you are on a voyage not a cruise. 👍

The Britannia Dining room was more crowded, especially on the upper levels on the QM2 than QE.

More difficulty getting from one venue to another on QM2. QE is easily navigable, QM2 is up and down and around hallways and staircases.

The swimming pool is more easily accessible on the QE.

Several new "World of Drinks" packages were recently introduced on QM2.

Wines, beers and Spirits - $69 per person per day.

Premium Soft Drinks - $29 per person per day.

Soft Drinks - $10 per person per day.

Speciality Hot Drinks - $15 per person per day

Not yet available on QE/QV as far as I know.

• Like 1

And now a difference between the Vista Sisters

"A coffee card is available to pre-purchase for Queen Victora at a cost of $40* which allows guests 10 regular coffees once on board (Speciality lattes, liqueur coffees, hot chocolate, extra flavours/toppings, larger sizes are not included).

For Queen Elizabeth, a hot drinks package is available to purchase for the duration of your voyage at a cost of $8.50 a day*. This package includes Tea Forte Signature Pyramids, Tea over ice and regular illy caffe coffee. Please ask on board for details and to purchase the package."

I have not sailed on QE, but I have on QV three long cruises. LA Hawaii R/T, NYC to LA via Panama Canal, and Venice to Ft Lauderdale. These allowed my to get to know QV well. What I liked was the Grills Dining Room, lounge and sun deck apart from the rest of the ship. I loved the Royal Court Theatre, more a theatre than a show room. What I didn't like was the size of everything, it was just smaller passage ways seem more crowded, the suites are smaller.

What I love about QM2, where I have sailed the remaining 13 times so far, is her size, her shape. She says Ocean Liner as opposed to cruise ship. I love her Promenade deck high up and real teak floors, I love the library, bigger and more variety than on QV. I love the Queen's room set apart and very Deco in design. I love the Pavilion pool, with the closed roof especially in cold weather. With Queen Mary 2, you get a sense of it being more spacious, more room for each passenger in both public and private spaces. Illuminations is a perfect venue for lectures, Movies and the Planetarium shows. totally missing on QV. And I think the thing I most enjoy are long fun filled days at sea. 

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

A few recent posts have got me thinking, we tend to think that things are similar on the 3 ships but what are their differences ?

I'm thinking more about services and how things are done rather than layout.

I'll start off -

No warm canapes in the Commodore Club in QM2, available on QE/QV

No evening meals in the Golden Lion, available on QE/QV

Any more ?

On our 3 QE 2018 cruises pub dinners were not available

I love the fact that the QM2 is more stable.  I don't throw up.  QV, not so stable in comparison.  For those of us who suffer from mal de mer, it's the QM2 all the way.

I love playing on Prop Henge. 

It's fun to come into a port with other cruise ships when you are on the QM2.  She makes a statement.  They are all envious of us.

The Commodore Clubs on the QE and QV are lovely open rooms with a view of the piano player from everywhere, while on the QM2 the Commodire Club is strangely shaped with a narrow passage in the middle.

On the other Hand, the Chart Room on the QM2 is a lovely venue, really a "room", while a place like this is missing on the QE and QV. The real "Chart Room" on the QV is gone with the refit and now we are left with seats next to the staircase.

There is much more teak on the QM2.

In in my experience on QM2, queues tend to form outside the Queens Room for afternoon tea because they "lock" you out to set up. This doesn't happen on QE & QV, due to their location, since they tend to be used as all-day lounges. I suppose this might be viewed as a difference in service of sorts. 

• Like 1