RCL unlimited internet vs package of minutes

cpayne

We do NOT need unlimited internet access on our cruise next Spring.  However, we would like to purchase some minutes to be able to use our phones and check email with the dog sitter and the office while we are away.  Does RCL offer a package where we can just purchase a set amount of minutes?  If so, how much?  I looked in our cruise planner and was unable to find anything.  Thanks. 

We have regularly used wifi in ports.  It's our at sea days that I'm concerned with unfortunately.  I need about 5 min/day at sea only We have 3 at sea days that concern me.  If someone else in our group has purchased the unlimited wifi for one device can I log in to their package if they are logged off OR is the unlimited pkg devoted to 1 device only?  Not trying to cheat the system, but $80 for 15 min total usage seems a bit much. 

2 minutes ago, cpayne said:

We have regularly used wifi in ports.  It's our at sea days that I'm concerned with unfortunately.  I need about 5 min/day at sea only We have 3 at sea days that concern me.  If someone else in our group has purchased the unlimited wifi for one device can I log in to their package if they are logged off OR is the unlimited pkg devoted to 1 device only?  Not trying to cheat the system, but $80 for 15 min total usage seems a bit much. 

If they are logged off you can log in.  No worries.

You can buy Surf for a 24 hour period ($23) - if you start at noon one day you'll have till noon the next day (sometimes 1PM). For very limited use, make friends with someone on your sailing in the Roll Call thread and ask to borrow their login info.

Edited by Biker19

17 hours ago, cpayne said:

Yes.  If they are logged off you can log in for your 15 minutes.  I don't consider it cheating the system, since it is advertised as a "device" package and not a "person package.

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Watching videos or not.

Is there any difference in the connection speed using the 2 different packages? 

Someone said you can also text with these pkgs if it is an iPhone to iPhone? 

2 minutes ago, cpayne said:

Not sure about the speed but you can text using an app.  You would need 2 packages to text.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach

5 minutes ago, cpayne said:

Surf is usually limited to about 0.5 Mbps.  Stream limit is 5 Mbps.  Load can reduce these numbers.

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure about the speed but you can text using an app.  You would need 2 packages to text.  

So the texting capability is only between phones on the ship and not ship to shore?  Sorry for my ignorance!  We've just never used technology on the ship and if it weren't for our aging dogs we'd prefer to keep it that way!  Cruising is the one time I totally unplug! 

4 minutes ago, cpayne said:

So the texting capability is only between phones on the ship and not ship to shore?  Sorry for my ignorance!  We've just never used technology on the ship and if it weren't for our aging dogs we'd prefer to keep it that way!  Cruising is the one time I totally unplug! 

If you are using VOOM to enable WiFi calling and/or an internet texting app like iMessage or WhatsApp, you can text to devices off the ship.

If you are only doing minimal texting to someone at home then check with your service provider.  Bob knows  the numbers but I think it’s like 50 cents outgoing and 5 cents incoming depending on your cell phone provider.  Much cheaper than buying a package.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you are only doing minimal texting to someone at home then check with your service provider.  Bob knows  the numbers but I think it’s like 50 cents outgoing and 5 cents incoming depending on your cell phone provider.  Much cheaper than buying a package.

Excellent idea!  Didn't realize this was even an option for ship to shore!  I will definitely call Verizon!  If that is available it 110% solves our problems/concerns with keeping in touch with the ol' guy/dog!  Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, cpayne said:

Excellent idea!  Didn't realize this was even an option for ship to shore!  I will definitely call Verizon!  If that is available it 110% solves our problems/concerns with keeping in touch with the ol' guy/dog!  Thanks! 

You’re welcome, hope it works out. Make sure you turn off wifi on your phone  and don’t answer incoming calls 

16 minutes ago, cpayne said:

Make sure you ask Verizon about rates on cruise ships at sea.  Sometimes people think that international rates apply, but rates for cruise ships at sea are generally different than international rates.

I would also turn off cellular data when you are at sea.  While I don't believe Verizon offers cellular data while at sea, I still think it's better to to be safe from any data charges.

34 minutes ago, cpayne said:

With an iPhone, you can iMessage anyone. You can send SMS/MMS if your phone has WiFi calling. If you have an iPhone 6 or newer, you do have WiFi calling. 

21 hours ago, cpayne said:

We do NOT need unlimited internet access on our cruise next Spring.  However, we would like to purchase some minutes to be able to use our phones and check email with the dog sitter and the office while we are away.  Does RCL offer a package where we can just purchase a set amount of minutes?  If so, how much?  I looked in our cruise planner and was unable to find anything.  Thanks. 

You used to be able to just buy minutes to use at their "internet cafes" -  wired internet stations.  So you could check email, but not phone.   Verizon has different pricing for cruise ships vs. the international travel packages.  But if you wait until you are off the ship at a port, you can just use the cheaper international package.

I called Verizon and supposedly we can text ship to shore without having any kind of RCL package.  50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive.  Sounds too good to be true?  

Has anyone tried this?   

27 minutes ago, cpayne said:

Sounds too good to be true?   

Why? That's the normal rate and not just for Verizon. You just need to be real careful, not only can those 50 cents texts add up quickly if you even have a call go to Voicemail you might get charged the $3/min for calls.