Just disembarked The Wind

CruisinPashmina

I returned home today after a 10 day Western Caribbean cruise on The Silver Wind.  This was the last voyage pre dry dock. The minute I left my cabin at 8:00 am this morning, the crew was packing up library books. Chairs and other furniture were being pulled out of the cabins, curtains were being removed....they meant business! According to Captain Arma, who was as charming as ever, the ship will be moved, in 3 days, to Freeport to be pulled and to have all the systems checked and repaired or replaced as necessary. The plan is for the Wind to be  worked on for three weeks. Some of the crew will go on vacation, and many others will stay on the ship until the air conditioning has to be turned off, and then they will be put up in a hotel.As the Captain, sentimentally said, “ My lady deserves the attention”. 

The cruise was very nice in spite of a pretty boring, actually quite sad itinerary. New development was nonexistent.  Houses, a resort we visited, towns, and shops were almost  all in dire shape. I had been to several of the Mayan ruins previously, so I was left with meager excursion choices. Okay..that’s the reality of Central America. Very poor, huge families..between 7 to 9 children, and few jobs. Our guide, an American expat, who had lived in Trujillo for 25 years, told us that the number one industry was human trafficking. Apparently the going rate is $7,000 per smuggled person. The goal is US entry, work, sending money back to Guatemala or Honduras ( and other Central American countries) and bringing many family members into the US. I guess I knew all of this, but it still is unnerving to feel the reality in the atmosphere. We were followed around by a TV crew, the mayor greeted us and mostly smiled at the cameramen. I’m guessing that this crew had to have come from a nearby city. There was zero evidence that Trujillo had a television station..I don’t remember even seeing dishes or any antennas. 

Enough depressing commentary: 

The Silver Wind was WONDERFUL! The food and wines were especially good. The crew was terrific with many, many familiar faces. Colin is a terrific CD. His Trivia is such fun and he is an extraordinary classical musician. Captain Arma, as I mentioned, is a true professional and a very engaging man. Antonio, whom I hadn’t seen in years, is a warm, welcoming Restaurant Manager....still has a great sense of humor! Oliver, everyone’s favorite bartender, was on board, and the rest of the bar team was, in a word, great.  Can’t mention everyone, or all the departments,  but this Wind crew is spectacular. 

I’m looking forward to hearing passengers’ comments after the refurbishment, and I’ll look forward to seeing it all for myself in May. 

• Like 1

Also loved reading this & can't wait to hear about the updates.  Please tell me they have no plans to make the Dining Room, Atlantide!  We have not sailed the Wind, only the Cloud before it was changed.  Loved it so I know we will love the Wind also.  We'll see you in May!

Thank you Pashmina, looking forward to our March cruise on the Wind.  We're hitting the Eastern Caribbean, 5 of the 6 were badly hit in last year's hurricane season.   Do you like the Wind better than the Shadow (we were on together for the Borneo trip this April)?  This will be our second SilverSea cruise, and we really love the small ship style.

Jan

Hello Cruisin' Pashmina

So glad you had an enjoyable cruise and you arrived home safely.  At the risk of repeating other responders, thanks so much for your comments on, not only the ports, but also my beloved Wind.  Do hope you managed to pass on my comment to the intended recipient before you disembarked!!

Hope you have managed to collect many, many points for Trivia for future cruises!!  By the way is Colin still using his collectives and phobias?

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thanks! Everyone seems to have understood my review, and that makes me very happy. I admit to being very fond of the Wind and I’m glad this came through. The on board experience was every bit as wonderful as I expressed. And the ports were as  hard to love as I  said. 

Master Echo...yes, your regards were  passed on and I was delighted to do so.

Brimary...so looking forward to meeting you. Tower Bridge to Tower Bridge in mid May. If you play your cards right, I might buy you a drink. Are you..be still my heart..a Trivia Player?

Yes, wonderful Colin is still a Collective and Phobia enthusiast. He said he’d be back in May..fingers crossed! 

JB...you are SO right..the Western Caribbean isn’t paradise..not even remotely close. 7 to 9 children per family. No wonder this is a sad, impoverished area.

Silver Spectre and Dusababy; thanks for your kind words. I do take Cruise Critic seriously. I have learned so much from others posters’ opinions. It’s a very helpful site.

Upstate Jan;  in this order, I love The Wind, and the Shadow and the Whisper equally. I’ve never been totally crazy about the Spirit, but we sailed on her many times because of the itineraries. As to The Muse; Even with the incredible kindness of fellow sailers, I swore I would never sail on her again. The lack of a main Diningroom and the requirement that all the dining venues had to have reservations has, apparently, been changed. The Main Bar is cavernous and not at all conducive to meeting fellow passengers. The decor was too neutral for me.  ( friends loved it)  The Terrasse was too big and a bit hectic. I’ll be sailing on her again....never say never, over the holidays in December. Count on an update.

CP, thanks  for the review of the Wind. It is several years since we have been on her but we are booked, for the moment, on the voyage after yours at the end of May nest year. Unless you are staying on, I fear we shall not meet. What a shame,  but good to heard that you still enjoyed being on the ship

Best wishes

Rp

CP .....look forward to seeing you in May.Will certainly reciprocate the drinks arrangement but sadly must report that we have never been to Trivia in twenty years of sailing with SS.We prefer to enjoy the evening sun by a quiet pool with a drink because everyone has left at 5 pm for Trivia.Looks like we will meet up with Rosepark as we are staying on until the last week in June.Sign up for Meet and Mingle not many takers so far.

CrusinPashmina -

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your time on the Wind even if the ports were less wonderful.  Hope our paths cross again so we can be on a trivia team together!  We're still looking at real estate on Sanibel especially since hurricane Michael hit very close to home.

Oh, boy! Rojaan 19...we have a Trivia Date!  If you know some British sailors, , we are well on our way. This is great news! Plus, i’m Excited to meet you both...love your detailed posts.

emtbsam, unfortunately the damn hurricanes can hit anywhere, but Sanibel Island is such a special place...please keep looking. You have my private email address..let me know if I can be of help!  Love  to you and B.

Rosepark, I actually looked into continuing  on to Norway in order to sail with you and S again, but it was so  expensive for just ten days that I backed off. I will miss seeing you. And the Piranha fishing expert!