Celebrity Edge- Major Ship Envy!

stickey_mouse

8 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

StickeyMouse...  I do see your point,  and I have not checked lately...  But there is NO. denying that the fares on the EDGE are way way higher and more inflated when compared to N. S.    I would not hold them equal to the same equation.

Nobody is arguing that Edge isn't priced higher than N.S. It's the inflation that's in question. I'm not sure any business exists outside the economics equation. Prices might be initially inflated due to high buzz or whatever else, but the "invisible hand" of the economy will inevitably do its part in due time. 

14 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I will jump in again....

I am not sure ANY cruise line, or any vacation company, has any ethical values that are better than any others.

These are large corporations.   They are there to make a PROFIT.   $$$$$$$$

I have read this comment about Disney, and the so-called 'magic'.     Look at the draconian cutbacks and the astronomical prices....   I have heard this comment about Disney...  and the idea that is a friendly 'family' company that cares...    "It is just another corporation....  anyone who thinks that Disney. (or any other) has a soul...  is sadly. mistaken."

We LOVED the Regal Princess.   Amazing and wonderful ship...  Excellent and incredible entertainment / talent....

But, the draconian and disgusting current cutbacks in the food served, and the service offered, causes me to choose to never board a Princess Ship again unless this is remedied.   Interestingly,  not too long ago, I saw a piece on the CEO of CCL.  His history and his vision.    ZERO to do with having any interest in vacation, cruising, pleasing guests, etc....   By his own stated admission...  He is onboard as CEO of CCL to do his job, which is to "turn a profit'.   That and only that...  100%

Well, HAL is part of CCL...  So, after our recent experience with the fake horrid inedible food and bad / nonexistent service on Princess...  That makes me continue to reconsider the future cruise that we have with HAL...  I fear that the very same thing will happen on the N. S. before we sail.

I assume we are still on the same N.S. sailing? Please reconsider sailing if you are already assuming a bad product, bad food, etc. It sounds like you've already convinced yourself. 

I'm not sure what the poster's reference to ethics was about, but Celebrity's ships are registered in Malta and Ecuador. HAL's are registered in the Netherlands. If you find the governing employee rights laws to be equivalent, please post. There are excellent charts prepared by human rights and employee rights advocates we can discuss. (Of course, this is the HAL board, so this whole discussion is kind of off topic. In much the same way the Netherlands vs Ecuador workers' rights discussions will be.) 

True!!!!!!

But, the asking prices, pre sailing,  were def. 'inflated'.....  Some High Hopes there!!!

Anyhow, The EDGE is a new and unique cruise 'product'.

And, even if the prices come down quickly,  I am not so sure it is the cruise for me.

I wonder if Celebrity might find out that a lower percentage of the mass cruise market will by buying into the EDGE than they thought????   Or maybe, the appeal to newer, younger, cruisers will do the trick.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Wow.  that was kind of rude.   And, without base, as well.

My comments were an 'IF' based on my recent experience with current CCL cutbacks on Princess Cruise line.

Noting that HAL is also a CCL line.

Perhaps if you have such 'Major Ship Envy' of another line,  you should not be on HAL or the N. S. ?

7 hours ago, FM said:

Did you stay in a IV stateroom?  How was the dining experience compared to the K'dam, particularly re the buffet?  What did you prefer on the Edge more than HA?  Thanks

I stayed in a Sky Suite on deck 10.  The balcony had the IV design. It was different but I really liked it.  With the balcony glass raised and the doors open, it made an already spacious suite even roomier. Plus, the decor was very modern, which I like. 

Dining was better because one area where Celebrity kills HAL is suite perks. The suites dining room, Luminae, was excellent. I’d say the lido buffet quality is equal. However, it’s an islands design on Edge so there are almost no lines. 

What I really liked about Edge over HAL - and this includes Solstice Class - is how modern they are. It starts with the interactive TVs in the rooms with the ability to order room service, view your account and look at your photos. 

45 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

My comments were an 'IF' based on my recent experience with current CCL cutbacks on Princess Cruise line.

Perhaps if you have such 'Major Ship Envy' of another line,  you should not be on HAL or the N. S. ?

I went on NS she was amazing!   I've got no envy!

Edited by Nymich
sp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Sorry, I meant no offense. It just seems like you're begging to have something to complain about once you board. Aren't you the one who used to bash the K-dam and it's decor all the time, wishing the N.S. was very different?

And i I might be envious of Celebrity's ingenuity, but I remain very excited to take my group on the N.S. I love the look of the new ships. 

• Like 1

Why are there soooo many posts about a Celebrity vessel on this Holland america board ? Seems to me that this could go on  almost indefinitely . Hasn't enough been said ??    Imo we should  focus on issues we care about for the HAL fleet 

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Why are there soooo many posts about a Celebrity vessel on this Holland america board ? Seems to me that this could go on  almost indefinitely . Hasn't enough been said ??    Imo we should  focus on issues we care about for the HAL fleet 

Well, perhaps because it is titled, "Celebrity Edge- Major Ship Envy!"?  I believe we ARE focusing on issues we care about for the HAL fleet.  Every time someone books a new cruise, they compare ships, cruise lines and experiences.  This thread is one of the best to help them choose between HAL's and Celebrity's new offerings.  It has some good information about the differences in these two new ships, and has been very interesting so far.  I think as long as we all remain respectful of each other's opinions, this can remain a valuable discussion, with new input as others experience both of these beautiful vessels and can compare them.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and safe travels!

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 1:23 PM, Despegue said:

Celebrity is counting on a class difference experience, something that I personally loathe while on vacation.  At HAL, Service, choice of restaurants, sun deck, pool etc etc should be same for all, the suite price-increase should be only for the extra space NOT for extra service. 

I am with you on this. Not a big fan of the current trend toward separate areas for separate classes of cruisers. The modern cruise industry evolved in the 1970s in part as a reaction to the old class-based systems on lines like Cunard (and yes, even Holland America). Part of the marketing for these cruises was that they were different from the old, "stuffy" class-based systems....  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am with you on this. Not a big fan of the current trend toward separate areas for separate classes of cruisers. The modern cruise industry evolved in the 1970s in part as a reaction to the old class-based systems on lines like Cunard (and yes, even Holland America). Part of the marketing for these cruises was that they were different from the old, "stuffy" class-based systems....  

I agree, and look how NCL broke into the mainstream cruise market with their "free style" cruising with no  formal dress codes,  no formal set dining times and marketing cruises as a fun casual time at sea.  It didn't take very long for most of the cruise industry to follow with similar types of cruises with casual dining dress codes and anytime dining options. 

Now it looks like the cruise lines want to return to the prior separate class systems of the 1970"s that turned off so many about cruising. HAL's new Club Orange is their first step back.  Celebrity has a suites only dining option on most of their ships. MSC has whole dedicated decks with separate dining options for their Yacht Club cabins on their newest ships. 

We are trying our first cruise in 2020 with Viking Ocean because they are doing all of the things we have disliked about cruising with the mainstream cruise companies. Most of Viking's new  business is coming from people who feel the same way. I believe this return to a class system will only drive more business to more luxury lines like Viking and Oceania. If my choice is between the X Edge Infinite Cabin or HAL NS suite and a Viking Ocean Penthouse Verandah Suite for about the same cost per day, I will choose VO every time.

15 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I stayed in a Sky Suite on deck 10.  The balcony had the IV design. It was different but I really liked it.  With the balcony glass raised and the doors open, it made an already spacious suite even roomier. Plus, the decor was very modern, which I like. 

Dining was better because one area where Celebrity kills HAL is suite perks. The suites dining room, Luminae, was excellent. I’d say the lido buffet quality is equal. However, it’s an islands design on Edge so there are almost no lines. 

What I really liked about Edge over HAL - and this includes Solstice Class - is how modern they are. It starts with the interactive TVs in the rooms with the ability to order room service, view your account and look at your photos. 

Thank you.  Did you notice if the stateroom became too warm when you had the balcony glass lowered if it was hot out and whether it took a while for the AC to kick in to cool the room down again?

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Edge (and Celebrity in general) has features I would like to see on HAL.   I believe that is the point of this thread.

Besides, no one is forcing you to click on this thread.  

On 12/31/2018 at 9:02 AM, Wishing on a star said:

But, please do not even mention that dinner call chime.

OMG...  That is just very archaic and IMHO is an almost 'Stepford Wives' vibe.

UGGGGGGHHHHHH.

Disagree with this one.. That 'old school' dinner chime is one of my many fond memories of cruises gone by, and I would love to see it come back to HAL! :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Edge (and Celebrity in general) has features I would like to see on HAL.   I believe that is the point of this thread.

Besides, no one is forcing you to click on this thread.  

I find that there are many many more things on edge that I would not like to see on HAL, then  anything the edge has that I would consider to be must have.

As someone that has frequently sailed Celebrity in the past, I have found myself booking them less and less and other lines more and more. I like the differences in cruise lines and having the ability to select line based upon substantial differences, instead of them blending together into a common theme. Celebrity and HAL are in many ways polar opposites when it comes to design and the type experience, though each providing a quality product. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

My guess is it was to stir the pot.  Go on NS if you can...... she is amazing!

51 minutes ago, Nymich said:

My guess is it was to stir the pot.  Go on NS if you can...... she is amazing!

We are scheduled to go on Koningsdam  in March & yjis is as close to sailing on yjer Nieuw Statendam as we are likely to get . Reason is   the NS sails off the East Coast & we live in the San Diego area  .We are doing a months trip back to florida Marc h 15th & leaving April 16th .  while there we have the koningsdam & a  7 night rotterdam Western Caribbean cruise scheduled

We have sailed over 40 Celebrity cruises & liked both  the Millenium & Soltice class ships ; now because Celebrity & Royal Caribbean ships rarely sail from any California ports ,we sail Holland & Princess   .Between Dec 2018 & April 2020  .,we booked 3 HAL cruises & 3 Princess cruises .  Most of our cruises we can now drive to rather than fly . That makes a huge difference .Even though we have seem all the West Coat ,Mexican Riviera ,Alaska ,Hawaii & Panama Canal ports & more than once ,we prefer not flying  .At our older years ,flying is just too hard these days .

We will do one more Trans Atlantic nov 2020  on Allure of the Seas from Barcelona . Yes we need to fly  via the upgrade seating on Norwegian airlines ;which from LAX is a 10 hour & 50 minute non stop flight into Barcelona .We have cruised to Barcelona twice in the past ;but ,this time we are arranging several days of professional company  touring with a private vehicle  & a hotel that includes breakfast & wifi  .the Barcelona Gaudi art is amazing & that is our focus 

Ohhh, lovely....  More negativity and personal attacks.

SO nice!!!!!!!   Gotta Love it.

Yes,  I,  just like everyone else, might have an opinion of that huge Whale's Belly red white and yellow dining room.

Others here have posted the same opinion(s).   And,  decor/artwork is also very subjective.

Look, if you wanna be a HAL cheerleader, and try to attack any others who question or have any less-than-stellar opinion...  Hey...  have at it.   But, do you really think that adds anything, at all, to the boards and discussions here?

13 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Ohhh, lovely....  More negativity and personal attacks.

SO nice!!!!!!!   Gotta Love it.

Yes,  I,  just like everyone else, might have an opinion of that huge Whale's Belly red white and yellow dining room.

Others here have posted the same opinion(s).   And,  decor/artwork is also very subjective.

Look, if you wanna be a HAL cheerleader, and try to attack any others who question or have any less-than-stellar opinion...  Hey...  have at it.   But, do you really think that adds anything, at all, to the boards and discussions here?

No personal attacks here. And I'm certainly no cheerleader for anything.

I've just always been a little perplexed to read how much you dislike the K-dam (I've been reading those posts for months), but yet are eager to sail on her twin sister. It just seems like if your mind is already made up about the new class of ships, why sail on them? Vote with your dollars. Or at least promise me you won't complain about the stuff you already know you'll dislike once onboard. 

13 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Ethical values

All passenger on board are treated equally, with dignity and respect, from the cheapest inside cabin to the most expensive suite.

I had no idea Celebrity is treating its customers unequally or without dignity and respect. Can you please provide your sources? 

59 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Ethical values

All passenger on board are treated equally, with dignity and respect, from the cheapest inside cabin to the most expensive suite.

You're going to have to explain this one a little better.  On what cruise lines and in what room categories are customers not treated equally with dignity and respect?  

I believe that your argument is that the labor laws and consumer protection laws are the same for vessels flagged in Malta vs vessels flagged in the Netherlands. Malta is a flag of convenience. (Show me the Celebrity port stops in Malta.) Workers' rights in the Netherlands have more protection. 

If your attitude is that all that matters are passenger rights, then we can dig into the subtleties. 

I love Celebrity's Solstice class ships but I've been dubious about the Edge since I first heard about the gimmicky Magic Carpet (even the name is stupid, IMO) and the Infinity Veranda staterooms, which looks exactly like the sliding windows that have been on river cruise ships for years  (see, for example, Emerald Waterways).  These verandas were touted as being "revolutionary" but if you read the reviews on this site they aren't popular to say the least.  It turns a veranda stateroom into a windowed stateroom with a window that you can open some but not all of the time.  The only good thing I noticed was that they haven't done away with Cafe al Bacio, but reviewers report there are few places to sit and relax inside or to sit in the shade outside, which is a dealbreaker for me.  We will be on Nieuw Statendam in a couple of weeks (were on sister ship Koningsdam last year and loved it), and we'll be on a newly refurbished Celebrity Silhouette in 2020.   

Here is the new stateroom design going across Celebrity's fleet, starting with the Millennium here soon.  I have to question whether this is adequate storage space for 14+ day cruises.  2nd, is that ship on the TV screen a Holland America ship, or is X updating their exterior paint as well?

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.42 AM.png