Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

My biggest problem with sailing from Galveston?

I can only buy Shiner Bock the first day of sailing! What the heck....I know there is plenty more down there on deck 1.  Bring it on up.

Damn antiquated Texas liquor laws. LOL Just kidding.

You are correct Texas liquor laws are stupid and annoying , me favorite port to leave from is NYC to bad RCCL leaves from new jersey

18 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

It wasn't loving on Galveston either. To post for all cruise critic members to read to expect that it costs $250 to rent a car when cruising out of Galveston... when you personally never have done this and you actually spent much, much less was deceitful and wrong of you to do this. You knew better and did it anyway. It is what it is. The post was so misleading that it should be removed/deleted. 

It is $250 to rent an Enterprise car at IAH and drop off in Galveston. There are cheaper rental car alternatives, but to drop off your rental on the island and get a free shuttle to the pier it will cost $250.

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I can only buy Shiner Bock the first day of sailing! What the heck....I know there is plenty more down there on deck 1.  Bring it on up.

While walking New York City , walked past sign at subway entrance . Hope you enjoy . 

1002D17F-43E7-4376-A3D1-267385D36E6F.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'm confused.  Doesn't AB INbev have a couple of breweries in TX?  And what about Lone Star?

Speaking of travel complications . 

Our flights IAH Houston outbound today Saturday , are delayed due to weather delayed flights coming from other cities on the west coast . 

We are Puerto Morales land bound for week . 

Flight times postponed twice so far . It’s going to be long day . 

We are not cruising and 

Travel Complications happen anytime everywhere . 

Edited by ssb

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm confused.  Doesn't AB INbev have a couple of breweries in TX?  And what about Lone Star?

Me too.

I get that Texas ABC rules restrict what Royal can serve while within the state must be purchased from a Texas Distributor. Most of the usual InBev brands are available (Bud, Miller, etc).

But Shiner - a popular Texas brew & one of my faves - was only available the first day. Weird. Perhaps it can be sold internationally?

3 hours ago, ssb said:

Speaking of travel complications . 

Our flights IAH Houston outbound today Saturday , are delayed due to weather delayed flights coming from other cities on the west coast . 

We are Puerto Morales land bound for week . 

Flight times postponed twice so far . It’s going to be long day . 

We are not cruising and 

Travel Complications happen anytime everywhere . 

safe travels.

4 hours ago, ssb said:

While walking New York City , walked past sign at subway entrance . Hope you enjoy . 

1002D17F-43E7-4376-A3D1-267385D36E6F.jpeg

Love it.  One of these days when I'm down in Texas, I'll make my way over to Shiner for a tour of Spoetzl Brewery.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 12:48 PM, HBE4 said:

First, I never properly thanked you for the advice you gave me on how to best navigate traffic getting to the Galveston cruise terminal during Lone Star Rally weekend. So thank you!

Second, no doubt that Royal sees much untapped potential in Texas as another access point to the Caribbean.  I've already seen the highway work being done to accommodate the extra traffic from Houston to Galveston and have no doubt that once all of the infrastructure work is compete in 2021, getting in/out of the terminal itself will be much easier. 

I look forward to cruising there and enjoying a few days pre-cruise in Galveston itself. Be interesting to see what some of the new itineraries will be, if any. It wold be great if they would offer something in the 9-12 day range.

We appreciate your kind words and, as someone that grew up in Houston that now lives in Austin, I laughed about the infrastructure work on the Highway for extra traffic and it's not at you - but at the situation - if there isn't any construction on the Gulf Freeway (what it's called) then I'll thing somethings wrong!  For many of us from the Houston area that freeway has never really been completed as there has been construction on it since 1967!  We've had a beach house on Galveston since the early 70's, good or bad I'm glad that the investment is being made on the island, it benefits a lot of people down there.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:13 AM, John&LaLa said:

No word that it's a new ship. Could easily be Oasis or Allure.

I agree. I think an older Oasis Class ship will go to Galveston.  If another goes to Australia I would say it too will be an older one. I have a feeling that they will want their new ships to be based out of Florida. Who knows if one ends up in Bayonne for the summer, but I say that’s a wait and see. 

On 12/7/2018 at 1:23 PM, HBE4 said:

key word "drive"

I’d agree with that as well. That being said, there are a lot of folks near by to drive there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baabtx said:

if there isn't any construction on the Gulf Freeway (what it's called) then I'll thing somethings wrong!  For many of us from the Houston area that freeway has never really been completed as there has been construction on it since 1967!

I feel like every state has that one highway that's never quite competed. People work there entire lives on a 30-50 mile stretch of road and retire before the job is done.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I agree. I think an older Oasis Class ship will go to Galveston.  If another goes to Australia I would say it too will be an older one. I have a feeling that they will want their new ships to be based out of Florida. Who knows if one ends up in Bayonne for the summer, but I say that’s a wait and see. 

Florida always get that newest and best ships.

For good reason I suppose. That's where the most passengers are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They missed out on the entire Quantum class so far.

Yeah, I know. Right after I clicked "submit reply", I wondered if someone was going to call me out on Anthem sailing out of NY/NJ & not Florida. LOL.

I suppose it has to do with people considering it a "cool weather" ship? It's an amazing ship but I feel like it's more enclosed than the others. Hard to describe...the Solarium is a truly enclosed, the promenade deck doesn't wrap around the back. I just feel it doesn't have the same amount as outdoor space as other ships.

8 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yeah, I know. Right after I clicked "submit reply", I wondered if someone was going to call me out on Anthem sailing out of NY/NJ & not Florida. LOL.

I suppose it has to do with people considering it a "cool weather" ship? It's an amazing ship but I feel like it's more enclosed than the others. Hard to describe...the Solarium is a truly enclosed, the promenade deck doesn't wrap around the back. I just feel it doesn't have the same amount as outdoor space as other ships.

I agree with you on being a cold weather ship as to being one if the reasons why Florida hasn’t yet seen one sailing from her ports.  The other being that Royal felt the need to send them to Asia.  Before They felt Asia was going to be the next booming market Anthem was scheduled to at least spend winters in Florida.  

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They missed out on the entire Quantum class so far.

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Matter of opinion.:classic_wink:

With only one wave she can’t be that good.😉

NY, got to miss out on Quantum as well.  How many months was she there before she headed to Asia?  That being said they have had the “cursed Anthem”😉 for a while. (typed in humour font)

Edited by A&L_Ont

48 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

How many months was she there before she headed to Asia? 

I don't recall exactly, but she arrived after the 2014 Bermuda season and left before the 2015 Bermuda season.  Bermuda was not ready.  I remember cruising on Explorer out of Florida in Dec 2014, so she had to have arrived in beautiful gorgeous Bayonne before that.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't recall exactly, but she arrived after the 2014 Bermuda season and left before the 2015 Bermuda season.  Bermuda was not ready.  I remember cruising on Explorer in Dec 2014, so she had to have arrived in beautiful gorgeous Bayonne before that.

Wow, 2 adjectives.😂

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Harmony and Symphony didnt start out in Florida.  They were used goods. 😉

Gently used.🙂

It's more like someone else had them for the break-in period, and then gave them to you and they were ready.😉

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 8:41 PM, baabtx said:

We appreciate your kind words and, as someone that grew up in Houston that now lives in Austin, I laughed about the infrastructure work on the Highway for extra traffic and it's not at you - but at the situation - if there isn't any construction on the Gulf Freeway (what it's called) then I'll thing somethings wrong!  For many of us from the Houston area that freeway has never really been completed as there has been construction on it since 1967!  We've had a beach house on Galveston since the early 70's, good or bad I'm glad that the investment is being made on the island, it benefits a lot of people down there.

There are 10 main lanes of new freeway completed from Houston to NASA One . State with 6 mains all wat to Galveston presently working at 8 main lanes of freeway  most of the remaining way to Galveston.