Falmouth Advice - things to do

NTobias

Hi all! 

We're booked on Harmony over new years and have opted to skip an excursion at this port. Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences of heading out of the port area here. Any good spots to check out? Any advice for this port would be appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Natasha 

33 minutes ago, NTobias said:

Hi all! 

We're booked on Harmony over new years and have opted to skip an excursion at this port. Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences of heading out of the port area here. Any good spots to check out? Any advice for this port would be appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Natasha 

Falmouth is a port that I would only venture out beyond the port area if I had a ship sponsored excursion.  The immediate “cruise line built” area of shops is fine but not beyond the gate IMO.

Not one of my favorite ports....sorry

• Like 3

just back. Did 2 excursions-Green Grotto from ship was a neat cave tour-lots of history and the only warm dry cave I have ever seen. Just inside the port wall is the trolley tour. 25 not hooked up with ship but a  very interesting 1 hour tour of Falmouth-churches, beaches, local color etc. Did both in a day with no problems

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Falmouth is a port that I would only venture out beyond the port area if I had a ship sponsored excursion.  The immediate “cruise line built” area of shops is fine but not beyond the gate IMO.

Not one of my favorite ports....sorry

I would have to agree with staying inside the "cruise line built" area if you are not wanting an excursion.  This is coming from someone that lived in the Caribbean. I read as much as I could find on the port before we visited it.  I did read about people venturing beyond the gates and enjoying it. But I just wouldn't do it.  We ended up having a beach day at Red Stripe beach.  It was a great day and inexpensive as far as ship sponsored excursions go. However, the bus driver almost plowed over a cyclist.  A little scary for a few minutes. . . Other than that, I enjoyed the stop much more than I thought that I would.

Edited by luv2sailAgain
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

We stayed around the port area.  Went to Margaritaville and relaxed for awhile.

You can use their facilities and no one bothers you.  They figure you will eventually buy a drink or something to eat. They have a cute margarita shaped hot tub!!

We also did the above and enjoyed it.

Since we had been to other ports in Jamaica many times,  just staying in the secured port terminal area worked out good for us.  :classic_cool:

1 hour ago, Magnetchief said:

We hired Pete Taylors group to take us to a local Rose Hall house then for Jerk chicken at Scotchies.

A great day out.

We used them as well but to take us to Ocho Rios to Mystic Mountain and Blue Hole. It was a long drive but a great day.

• Like 1

I know you said you weren't doing an excursion, but we did one last year called the Falmouth Food Tour with Jamaica Culinary Tours that I would highly recommend.  It's a walking tour.  Your guide will meet you inside the port area and walk you out.  It's a great way to sample some local food while seeing the sites and hearing some of the local history.  One of the best we've ever done!

Ruth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to BLUE Water.You can do this on your own put when you do the math it would have cost us $2 more perperson to do this with the cruise line .But you can find cabs to take you & if one isnt out side when you leave they will call one for you .They do want you to buy some food or drinks ( so you can use there chairs) but we were going to do that any way.

I found it to be clean,safe & they have a DJ that made it fun.If there was something to complain about it was the water depth ,you have to go out far to get water over your head . But on a good note its calm and great for hanging out in with drinks.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, rajacks said:

I know you said you weren't doing an excursion, but we did one last year called the Falmouth Food Tour with Jamaica Culinary Tours that I would highly recommend.  It's a walking tour.  Your guide will meet you inside the port area and walk you out.  It's a great way to sample some local food while seeing the sites and hearing some of the local history.  One of the best we've ever done!

Ruth

We have also done this before and thoroughly enjoyed it!!  Great way to try some different things (love those meat pies!) and to see the "real" Falmouth!

We've often done a walk about Falmouth on our own and never had anything close to having a problem. The vast majority of locals are very friendly is our experience and appreciate getting the cruiser's business. The shops inside the cruise terminal area , except for the small stalls, are not owned nor operated by locals is what we've been told by those who actually live nearby. Just stay in the main shop area of that town where there is a police present if you are concerned about doing this on your own.

Edited by robtulipe

On 12/7/2018 at 12:38 PM, rajacks said:

Ruth

Another vote for Falmouth Food Tour!  Loved it.  Enjoyed the food and the tour.  Felt very safe.

• Like 1

We were there a few years ago.    We did an RCL sponsored excursion...a walking tour of Falmouth.     Had a guide and it was actually very interesting and informative.    Wasn't expensive and really let you see "a day in the life".   Even got to go to the local school, with the kids at recess.   We enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will be in Falmouth on December 26th as a port stop on our Oasis of the Sea cruise. December 26th is Boxing Day and I read that it is a holiday in Jamaica. We have a morning excursion scheduled with RC. Does anyone know what impacts the holiday has on the town (I assume everything is normal within the port area)? If we were to choose to do a second tour (walking, food, etc.) afterwards or even be adventurous and wander on our own would anything be open?

Adam

• 2 weeks later...