Cheers cost analysis

bartleby112

OP, you and/or your wife can also bring on 12 pack of soda for the children. Bringing your own soda will be cheaper than Bottomless Bubbles & you'll have a whole can and not just a glass of soda.

You may also be able to bring on juice boxes for the little ones.

Happy sailing!

The wife and I break even by noon.

It's not really hard to do....Mimosa or bloody Mary for bfast. If sea day...we will start drinking immediately and will generally have a drink every hour up until dinner then we will get ready for dinner and have a drink while waiting to be sat...then once we get sat...then more after dinner.

It's harder on port days but we can still hit 10 drinks easy on sea days.

Edited by pc_load_letter

For you using the spreadsheet. Remember that these prices are estimates.

I am not sure when the original sheet was made, I just modified the cost of cheers and and had it include gratitude of 18%.

The first one I posted does not have the gratitude for each drink. I update, a few post after it that does include the 18% per drink.

Just use the sheet with caution and only for a guesstimate on what it could cost you, not for what you will actually be spending.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bartleby112 said:

That was gonna be my next round of questions. Can you still bring a 12 pack of soda on board?  And kids are you allowed to bring juice boxes etc. 

Here's the policy regarding carry on beverages:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/session/L3RpbWUvMTU0NDIyODUzNC9zaWQvZlVseFdVWkpFZEIzYTRRUzZvT1VKZjlJQmVCRHJFWEEzbkJ1cHREMVdacGk0Nk5FeENTWjgxVXRhYlVPWWRRbmZvTzBZZmUxYVQybzN1Q2t1MGt4UmVNR2VLa3A5Nmxic3RFd1NrOG04djd2U2UzaHlpTTAxQk5nJTIxJTIx

53 minutes ago, bartleby112 said:

That was gonna be my next round of questions. Can you still bring a 12 pack of soda on board?  And kids are you allowed to bring juice boxes etc. 

One 12 pack per person, no more than 12oz and not in plastic bottles.

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

The wife and I break even by noon.

It's not really hard to do....Mimosa or bloody Mary for bfast. If sea day...we will start drinking immediately and will generally have a drink every hour up until dinner then we will get ready for dinner and have a drink while waiting to be sat...then once we get sat...then more after dinner.

It's harder on port days but we can still hit 10 drinks easy on sea days.

Don't know about noon, but if pax are alcohol ( not beer) drinkers it's very easy to break even. 

Bailey's and Coffee (2) at breakfast is a good start.

Everytime I see someone mentioning "port days", don't they realize you are still ON the ship a good 7-8 hrs AFTER port. Enough for 6-7 drinks which is about 1 drink per hour.

Our last cruise we saved about $400.00 by having Cheers.

• Like 1

Hey!

I just got off the boat a few hours ago!

I feel stupid for not just getting the package. Just half poo drinking I spent almost as much as I would have on the package and the husband and I were never buzzed. Plus side you can order it second day and also they do have pitchers you can order 30$ after tax and tip. I found these to be a saving grace. My husband is a huge martini drinker and we only have 2-3 a day and almost broke even to the cheers package. 

I did buy my daughter the kidspackage (pre cruise) and cost me 21$ she literally took them for a ride ordering Sherley temple after Sherley temple.  I did get a 26 cent charge after all her drink purchases which was odd. 

If theres only two adults or less in a cabin and you love drinking Id do it anyway of the week!

Drinks are costing between 9.25 and 12.50 

The "signature" drinks are the 9.25

my chocolate martini was 10.50 

and my (poorly made) Moscow Mule was 12.50

Pitchers (48 oz) 28.00-30.00 after tax

so you decide.  🙂

Edited by KyloRen

9 hours ago, bartleby112 said:

so understand the rules.  Not supposed to get drinks and give them to my wife etc.  But is this really enforceable? 

I think their workaround is making every adult in the room get it.   This means me and my friends cannot get a room and i buy the cheers and get them drinks all day. 

What could they possibly do if i went up and get a mojito and walk around the corner and give it to my wife?  I guess if they followed me they could give me a little hell. But if i drink 10 drinks a day (not happening) and i slip a drink or 2 to the wife over the length of the cruise they probably wouldn't catch on.

When I was on Liberty earlier this year i saw/heard quite loudly a guy who had his Cheers package cancelled for the remainder of the cruise for sharing drinks with some woman. When talking to a bartender later on about what happened, she said he had been warned earlier about sharing drinks and he obviously ignored the warning. On the bright side it was the afternoon on day 2 of a 3 day cruise, so at least the guy didn’t lose too much money. 

4 hours ago, coevan said:

We always get out worth on port days. A morning Bloody Mary, Baily's or Mimosa are good ways to start the day before breakfast. You can't say you drank all day if you don't start in the morning. 

Same experience here. I will usually have 3-4 mimosas every morning (they are definitely on the small side).  My wife usually has a few Bloody Marys and/or peach bellinis.  So while it is still morning we are already over halfway to breaking even for the day. Even if we spend a good portion of the day off the ship, we will still end up drinking at night on the ship.  

1 hour ago, robc1972 said:

Can always just get a rum runner and bring on some booze to mix with the coke you bring on and save a ton of money.

That can get very boring drinking the same thing. I'm sure there are many pax who enjoy trying something different. 

Heck I start with Bailey's and Coffee, Vodka and Diet/Frozen Drink(s) afternoon, Martini(s) (Dirty or Chocolate) before dinner and sometimes have Scotch on the rocks at night.

Variety is the spice of life!!!!!

• Like 1

It's a pretty simple analysis if you ask me. It's $860 for two people to have Cheers for the week, or cut that in half if you are able to get it down to one person. Are you likely to go near or exceed this amount with your drinking habits? Would you like to splurge and try things you probably wouldn't otherwise try? If you can't positively answer yes to at least one of those, it may not be for you. 

If you are the kind of "captain and coke" guy, I would also recommend looking into bottles. 1 liter of alcohol is about $90-$110. For me, this is my favorite option. I will drink rum and coke for the majority of my drinks. I also get to control my pour. I have no interest in forcing down mimosas and wine with meals to feel like I got my moneys worth. I also love to drink. Today is a holiday party and will probably have 5-10 throughout the course of today. However, I simply cannot drink this much for 7 days straight. It becomes a major chore to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It's a pretty simple analysis if you ask me. It's $860 for two people to have Cheers for the week, or cut that in half if you are able to get it down to one person. Are you likely to go near or exceed this amount with your drinking habits? Would you like to splurge and try things you probably wouldn't otherwise try? If you can't positively answer yes to at least one of those, it may not be for you. 

If you are the kind of "captain and coke" guy, I would also recommend looking into bottles. 1 liter of alcohol is about $90-$110. For me, this is my favorite option. I will drink rum and coke for the majority of my drinks. I also get to control my pour. I have no interest in forcing down mimosas and wine with meals to feel like I got my moneys worth. I also love to drink. Today is a holiday party and will probably have 5-10 throughout the course of today. However, I simply cannot drink this much for 7 days straight. It becomes a major chore to me.

I like flavored creamers, so my only options is the Alcoholic kind on a cruise. So in essence they are " forcing " me to drink in the morning 😂😂😂. And it's one of my cruise habits. Same with DW , she likes Mimosas on vacation.

Everyone's metabolism is different so 3 drinks for some is difficult to do while others 8-10 drinks doesn't affect them.

Agree , that's why everyone NEEDS to understand what THEY can tolerate.Nobody can answer for them. Plenty of spreadsheets out there for pax to figure it out.

30 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

That can get very boring drinking the same thing. I'm sure there are many pax who enjoy trying something different. 

Heck I start with Bailey's and Coffee, Vodka and Diet/Frozen Drink(s) afternoon, Martini(s) (Dirty or Chocolate) before dinner and sometimes have Scotch on the rocks at night.

Variety is the spice of life!!!!!

I usually bring enough for a drink or two a day while on the balcony waiting for the other to get ready for dinner.

That juice they have in the morning on Lido is fantastic with Vodka.

Nips also make it through the metal detectors at ports when in your pockets.

Still get a hefty bar bill but with her only drinking one or two a day cheers isnt worth it.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards trying cheers just because I'm interested in trying all kinds of different stuff. If a chocolate martini (something id never order at the local bar) is 10 bucks then it might be worth ordering it to try. You can use your drinks for the alchemy bar right?  I think it could be a lot of fun to go there and try a few different drinks each night. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Don't know about noon, but if pax are alcohol ( not beer) drinkers it's very easy to break even. 

Bailey's and Coffee (2) at breakfast is a good start.

Everytime I see someone mentioning "port days", don't they realize you are still ON the ship a good 7-8 hrs AFTER port. Enough for 6-7 drinks which is about 1 drink per hour.

Our last cruise we saved about $400.00 by having Cheers.

The port days thing.  Okay, we get back onboard at say 4:30 pm.  Go to our cabins and get ready for 6 pm seating at dinner.  Even if we have a drink at dinner, where are there 8 hours to drink?  I'm figuring I better be in bed by 10 if I'm going to get up early enough to work out, get breakfast and get kicked off the ship at 9 am for excursions.  Am I missing something or are you guys night owls that only need a few hours of sleep to get up and start drinking again?? LOL LOL  Oh-and several posters said if you don't take a nap you will never make it.  Maybe you guys nap?  But then that's less drinking time!! HEEHEE

Edited by Crazy4Camping

48 minutes ago, bartleby112 said:

I'm leaning towards trying cheers just because I'm interested in trying all kinds of different stuff. If a chocolate martini (something id never order at the local bar) is 10 bucks then it might be worth ordering it to try. You can use your drinks for the alchemy bar right?  I think it could be a lot of fun to go there and try a few different drinks each night. 

Yes, you can use Cheers at the Alchemy Bar. 

2 hours ago, bartleby112 said:

Achlemy Bar , try the "Deal Closer"! Chocolate heaven! Bet you can't have just 1😂😂.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

The port days thing.  Okay, we get back onboard at say 4:30 pm.  Go to our cabins and get ready for 6 pm seating at dinner.  Even if we have a drink at dinner, where are there 8 hours to drink?  I'm figuring I better be in bed by 10 if I'm going to get up early enough to work out, get breakfast and get kicked off the ship at 9 am for excursions.  Am I missing something or are you guys night owls that only need a few hours of sleep to get up and start drinking again?? LOL LOL  Oh-and several posters said if you don't take a nap you will never make it.  Maybe you guys nap?  But then that's less drinking time!! HEEHEE

Port days usually back on board by 3 -3:30 as ship sails by 4 normally.

Grab a drink on way to cabin to get ready for dinner. Grab a drink on way to dinner.

Have a drink/glass of wine with dinner.

See a show/comedy club after dinner (2 more drinks).

Have a night cap. And you can still be in bed by 10:00-10:30. Chances are you won't.

No naps involved, you run on adrenaline/excitement of being  on a cruise.

Thats 6 right there with no water, tea's , energy drinks, etc thrown in.

And as mentioned everyone's metabolism/tolerance of alcohol  is different.

I will add we are not big ship sponsored excursion people and tend to of our own thing in ports. So we do spend a little more time on board.

Hey it's your first cruise, I can understand your concerns/questions. You will find you're on vacation and it won't be a normal routine at all. 

Enjoy!

Edited by beerman2