AC in IV Cabins

caroak

I read comments that when the IV window is down the AC goes off in the cabin but would like to know if the bifold doors are closed and the IV window is down does the AC stay on in the cabin?   

Carole

Edited by caroak

34 minutes ago, caroak said:

I read comments that when the IV window is down the AC goes off in the cabin but would like to know if the bifold doors are closed and the IV window is down does the AC stay on in the cabin?   

Carole

I was on the 1 Dec preview cruise. Closing the bifold doors is a bit of an effort, especially if you have a cabin with the bed by the veranda, as space is very limited and the two chairs on the “veranda” are very large. 

Opening and closing the window takes such a long time that I would never get to the point of having the window down and then closing the bifold doors. Would assume that the AC stays on though, as the bifold doors close tightly. 

7 minutes ago, Dfox15 said:

I was on the 1 Dec preview cruise. Closing the bifold doors is a bit of an effort, especially if you have a cabin with the bed by the veranda, as space is very limited and the two chairs on the “veranda” are very large. 

Opening and closing the window takes such a long time that I would never get to the point of having the window down and then closing the bifold doors. Would assume that the AC stays on though, as the bifold doors close tightly. 

Why does it take so long to close the window?

Can the bi-folds open in or out or just out into the Veranda?

Do the bi-folds glide on a track.?  I assume they operate manually.

We do not want to be without AC at any time..but would want to sit out with window open too....

We switched to bed by bath.,.hope that will make it easier...

Edited by hcat

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Why does it take so long to close the window?

Can the bi-folds open in or out or just out into the Veranda?

Do the bi-folds glide on a track.?  I assume they operate manually.

We do not want to be without AC at any time..but would want to sit out with window open too....

We switched to bed by bath.,.hope that will make it easier...

I didn’t count the seconds, but it was soo slow opening or closing the window - and the captain can override the control. The bi-folds are divided in 4 each (a total of eight panels when closedon). They are held in place by magnets making them tricky to open. I think there may have been tracks, but the process of opening and closing meant that I only closed them once to see what it looked like. It would feel very claustrophobic to sit on the veranda with the bi-folds closed. I’m not that tall, so I would be looking at a window and not the open bit when sitting on the veranda. The partition of the IV window is so high that even when standing I could not lean out. Many people were complaining about the height of the fixed window bit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dfox15 said:

I didn’t count the seconds, but it was soo slow opening or closing the window - and the captain can override the control. The bi-folds are divided in 4 each (a total of eight panels when closedon). They are held in place by magnets making them tricky to open. I think there may have been tracks, but the process of opening and closing meant that I only closed them once to see what it looked like. It would feel very claustrophobic to sit on the veranda with the bi-folds closed. I’m not that tall, so I would be looking at a window and not the open bit when sitting on the veranda. The partition of the IV window is so high that even when standing I could not lean out. Many people were complaining about the height of the fixed window bit. 

Magnets... sounds a bit lo tech for a ship purported to be hi tech!

2 minutes ago, 2tixParadise said:

Hi, Does anyone who has been on the ship know the answer to this OP’s question?  Thank you!

I will let someone else answer the question for sure since we didn't leave our window open and shut the bifold door, but I will say that our bifold doors did not have a tight seal (you could see light down the center where it wasn't sealed) so I doubt that it would trigger the AC. Ours may have been an anomaly, so maybe someone else had the AC activated when the bifold doors closed. Hopefully someone else actually tried it.

40 minutes ago, 2tixParadise said:

Hi, Does anyone who has been on the ship know the answer to this OP’s question?  If the IV veranda window is down and you close the bifold doors, will the AC in cabin stay on?

Thank you!

I haven't been on the ship but I recall reading last week on someone's review that when you close the bi-fold the AC works.   That brings up the possibility - not that any of us would do this, but -  find the switch and duct tape  it do so the AC would operate with the door bi-fold door open.  

TY, that’s very encouraging that someone’s review mentioned the doors closed and a/c working... 😊 that issue is really the most concerning one I’ve read about Edge since she took sail.  If it’s hot in stateroom it makes me really nauseous.  And DH really enjoys the balcony when we’re in the room

I am confused.,,,

If doors are closed so AC stays on in the cabin...won't the person in the veranda  roast from the heat..without any air crossflow or breeze??   

Forget Vt's tape measure..I'm bringing a  temp sensor for the veranda...,,it's actually part of my travel clock,  phone charger,  all in one gizmo!( a new toy for a lo tech gal)

BTW.,,How are the sky views at night from the enclosed Veranda?

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That brings up the possibility - not that any of us would do this, but -  find the switch and duct tape  it do so the AC would operate with the door bi-fold door open.  

LOL please don't give my husband any ideas - he'd probably end up in the "naughty" room for bringing a duct tape "IV AC repair kit" onboard :classic_biggrin:

Zellchat posted this on the "Edge Aqua Class Thought" thread, and I'm really starting to rethink my cabin choices: 

"The AC shuts down when the window is open, and with the window closed, the sun beats in and can really heat up the cabin.  We closed the shade during the afternoon to keep the room cooler.  The lowest the thermostat will go is 66 degrees - we kept it at this sitting all three days of the cruise".