First NCL--Need help with Perks Offer

Hi. We are taking our first NCL - 14 days British Isles in June. Need help choosing best 3 perks for the money. Obviously if we can get free airfare from our city (TA checking) that one is a no brainer. Thinking open bar is as well....not HUGE drinkers but a few day on the ship is normal for us. 

• Free or Reduced Airfare (select sailings)
  • Ultimate Beverage Package (Hawaii Beverage Package for Pride of America)
  • Specialty Dining Package
  • Up to 250 Minute Internet Package
  • $50 (USD) per Port Shore Excursions

Hey!!  Welcome, and how fun it is to plan a cruise!

I'd rule out the Port Excursions Credit straight away.  It's not that valuable.  Definitely take the Ultimate Beverage Package, but do remember you'll have to pay the gratuity; still a bargain.  I'm weird about not being in control of my air travel booking, so I don't know, but that might turn out to be a real deal, especially if travelling trans-Atlantic. For a 14-day cruise you should get four, maybe five? dinners in the Specialty Dining Package, so I'd take that for certain (again, you'll have to pay the gratuities up-front).  

Other cruisers will surely chime in, but yeah, I'd at the very least cross the Port Excursions Credit off the list.  Happy Planning!!

Edited by CincyJen

You need to pay the 20% gratuity when selecting the dining or beverage package. For your 14 day cruise, the gratuity for the beverage package that will be added to your cruise fare is $555. Look at the bar menus on the attached link. The Beverage Package will cover the first $15 of each drink. Determine if you buy-by-the-drink, whether you will exceed $40 per day (that is your break even point) 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to pay the 20% gratuity when selecting the dining or beverage package. For your 14 day cruise, the gratuity for the beverage package that will be added to your cruise fare is $555. Look at the bar menus on the attached link. The Beverage Package will cover the first $15 of each drink. Determine if you buy-by-the-drink, whether you will exceed $40 per day (that is your break even point) 

YIKES!! That gratuity ADDS UP when tacked on! Thanks for the charts, very helpful!

Since this is your first NCL, you might want to try some of those specialty restaurants (specialty dining package) - you would get probably 4 or 5 meals out of the 14 days cruise if you are really into food. Otherwise, the free food in the main dining rooms and the buffet will be fine. You would have to pay the gratuity. But it would be worth it.

The shore excursion credit - it is $50 per each port. If the cruise ship missed the port, you would not get a credit for it. And if you use a shore excursion that is less than $50 - they will not apply the whole $50 credit. Do your research and see if shore excursion credit would work for you.

The internet - 250 minutes - it depends on if you needed to go on the internet. Since this is a vacation, might want to disconnect unless it is important to keep in touch with families.

Drinking package - unless you and your partner would break even with drinking all those different drinks, the package would worth it on top of paying the gratuities. 

If you think you and you partner will drink at least 3 drinks a day, the UDP is worth it. The Specialty Dining package is always a good deal, since gratuities on it aren't too bad and there are usually several good options on each ship. Whether or not to take the wifi package is really up to your needs. I personally LOVE locking my phone in the safe at embarkation and not pulling it out until we're in port. But I understand that some people have young children at home or family they need to check in on. If you do need wifi, taking it as a perk will save you a lot over paying out of pocket.

As others have said, the $50 shore excursion credit might be the most useless. It is only $50 per cabin and you have to book excursions through NCL to get it. On a seven day cruise, I've never done more than one NCL cruise and $50 isn't much of a dent in the cost of most excursions anyway.

Edited by JamieLogical

If I were to take three I would go for the SDP first.  Then I would have to think about the Internet if it were my first cruise, I don't have to as we are Platinum Plus and get enough from that.  Remember if you want to use the Internet it can be very slow and you must remember to Log Off.  Then the drink package, are you happy to drink 3 drinks each, both of you have to take it, EVERY day just to be even.  We do take NCL shorex so with the Platinum Plus 15% the $50 is very useful.

Thank you all for your opinions. One thing I wasn't thinking about when I initially posted that you all brought to light is that this is a very different cruise than I have been on before --14 days/11 Ports of Call. That changes things drastically. We won't be onboard enough to drink to break even and for wifi our Verizon travel pass will kick in at every port. But with 11 ports of call I wonder if the $50 makes more sense. I really need to look at what is offered in each place. For sure will get the SPD. 

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

2 hours ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

We won't be onboard enough to drink to break even.

The 20% gratuities comes out to about 20.00 pp per day.  That's two 9.95 drinks.  Even on a port day you're back on board by 400 or 500 and even if you crash by 1000, which I doubt, that gives you 5-6 hours to drink 2 drinks.  The 50.00 port credit is a joke, go on your roll call for your cruise, discuss things with others and book independent tours.  They are usually cheaper and smaller in size.  Think an air conditioned van of 15 versus a bus of 60. But if the airfare falls through and your Verizon has you covered in the ports, then the 50.00 could be your third choice.

The value of the 250 minute internet package on my recent NCL Epic was valued at $109 if purchased on board.   Full basic internet was pricey.   I too get T-mobile free data when in port and my last British Isles cruise in 2011 I had easy access to free wifi in most of the ports (some in the terminals, some cafes and even some on the tour buses); so I would use that perk.     I'm not a big drinker, and I feel when I do get the Beverage package I drink more than I'd like to.    My recent NCL Baltic 9 day I only had 17 drinks and was shocked when I saw $227 gratuities.   I thought as most cruiselines it was included.   It is convenient being able to just order and you can order a glass of wine up to $15 per glass and the wines are decent.    I usually get the beverage package and the dining package.       Have a great time.  British Isles, I did on Celebrity and was one of my favorite in regards to itinerary.

11 hours ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

Hi. We are taking our first NCL - 14 days British Isles in June. Need help choosing best 3 perks for the money. Obviously if we can get free airfare from our city (TA checking) that one is a no brainer. Thinking open bar is as well....not HUGE drinkers but a few day on the ship is normal for us. 

of course air or even if not free a decent discount: followed by the specialty dinning and the the UBP. WE do enjoy the discount on the shore excursions as well: as for the  package, we have learned just to enjoy and cruise and not bother with checking EMail, reporting in, etc. We are plat plus and already get the free minutes. We hardly use them. For others the internet is much more important than the shore excursion perk.   Have a wonderful cruise. it is a great itinerary. As for the UDP, if you think you are going to have 2 or more drinks, average a day, it is still a good deal as you will be paying the gratuities with or without the perk. 

10 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

Since this is your first NCL, you might want to try some of those specialty restaurants (specialty dining package) - you would get probably 4 or 5 meals out of the 14 days cruise if you are really into food. Otherwise, the free food in the main dining rooms and the buffet will be fine. You would have to pay the gratuity. But it would be worth it.

The shore excursion credit - it is $50 per each port. If the cruise ship missed the port, you would not get a credit for it. And if you use a shore excursion that is less than $50 - they will not apply the whole $50 credit. Do your research and see if shore excursion credit would work for you.

The internet - 250 minutes - it depends on if you needed to go on the internet. Since this is a vacation, might want to disconnect unless it is important to keep in touch with families.

Drinking package - unless you and your partner would break even with drinking all those different drinks, the package would worth it on top of paying the gratuities. 

WOW, not very positive are you? It sounds like you are saying the perk package isn't worth anything: Of course there will still be charges, but drink package: you are going to pay gratuities one way or the other: the same with the dinner package, but that is all you pay and the shore excursion: may not be a great deal, but it is worth something if the OP is inclined to use the ship excursion choices to start with.  

We chose the Dining and the 50$ excursion credit. We also had a 50$ excursion credit for it being a "distinctive voyage" when we booked (making in 100/port credit) so we were easily able to find beach breaks for @ 50$/person through the ship. if you figure they are giving you 50$ a day on an 11 port stop cruise that is like them giving you 550$ to spend. granted the choices are limited most times through the ship but it was what worked best for us in our situation. Good luck choosing!

For me, it is all about where it saves the most money.  UDP is a given because as soon as my wife steps aboard she becomes an alcoholic :P.  The SDP while probably worth more doesn't make sense for us because there are enough different options for free dining.  I'm on a cruise so I go off the grid, no internet for me.  The airfare from Detroit Metro wasn't one of the places where the reduced airfare saved us anything.  We usually find one excursion on every island so it made sense last time, it saves us $150 - $200 depending on how many stops.  Our next cruise though we went with the 3rd guest stays for free option for my 9 yr old son and that saved us quite a bit.

Sometimes you need to think outside the box.  If you are happy eating in the MDR or splurge once or twice at a specialty restaurant maybe the meal package is not worth it.  If you don't drink 5 drinks every day then the drink package is not worth it because of the gratuities you pay up front.  Since you mentioned saving money, the best way to save money is not to choose any perks for food and alcohol unless you drink a lot and plan on eating at the specialty restaurants at least 3 times.  The internet offer is a good value of at least $100.  The excursion offer is very minimal.

NCL wants everyone to pick certain offers because they are upselling the cruise.  You don't have to be tempted to do that.  Its a great marketing technique in making customer choose "free" offers that they are paying for in some way.  Just pointing that out because it rarely gets mentioned.  You can beat NCL at its game if it works for you.  If everyone who had the drink package drank like a fish with 12 drinks every day, they would not offer it as a perk.  Their sales income clearly demonstrates their income has increased with these offers.  I can instantly make a cruise payment of hundreds of dollars without paying a cent on my NCL account if I remove the drink and meal packages 😉

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

Only you can decide what is valuable, but I would agree that the drink package for someone who doesn't drink much is one to leave out. Consider that it is just fine if you don't use any of the perks to the max, but the drink promo is expensive even if you drink almost nothing. Maybe, you'll use the shore excursion twice on one of your eleven ports.

Here's how I would do it: Definitely book the dining and internet. Check to see if your departure city is one of the major ones where the airfare will be close to free.  Realize that NCL's airfare is one of the worst deals because you have no say so in deciding flights and times. After you check this out, select airfare or excursions as the other perk.

Edited by Markanddonna

Thank you all. Airfare was not available from Denver (go figure). So I went with the following: 

UDP-at $554 in gratuities thats $20 a day per person. We can easily consume enough in coffee (mornings) and water (bring with us) and wine or beer (dinner) to make that well worth it. 

Ports--I went through each port and a lot of them offer "See on your own" for about $70-$80 for both of us. That gets us into town and out for $20-$30. No way I can find a taxi RT for less than that. Takes out the hassle. Some of these ports are quite a haul. I figure for us this was about a $400 value 

SDP-because you all recommend it so highly and it being our first NCL I know to trust CC members for best advice. It will give us 5 days of variety. Imagine the MDR gets old on a 14 day cruise 🙂

WIFI wasn't worth it to us. Our phones will work 11 days in port and if I really want the 250 min package prepaid was around $100 I believe. 

Thank you so much. Looking forward to our first NCL 

17 hours ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

For some people the Beverage Package is huge.   Not for us.  I like cabernet and the selections on the package are poor.  Also, the 20% gratuity is quite large.  On our last NCL cruise (7 days), I purchased wine to take on the ship, paid the $15 per bottle corkage fee.  Adding the cost of the wine to the corkage, we spent less than what just the gratuity would  have cost us.  We are moderate drinkers and don't drink until happy hour and mainly drink wine.

The Dining Package is nice, since NCL's specialty restaurants are many and very good.

24 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

Thank you all. Airfare was not available from Denver (go figure). So I went with the following: 

UDP-at $554 in gratuities thats $20 a day per person. We can easily consume enough in coffee (mornings) and water (bring with us) and wine or beer (dinner) to make that well worth it. 

Ports--I went through each port and a lot of them offer "See on your own" for about $70-$80 for both of us. That gets us into town and out for $20-$30. No way I can find a taxi RT for less than that. Takes out the hassle. Some of these ports are quite a haul. I figure for us this was about a $400 value 

SDP-because you all recommend it so highly and it being our first NCL I know to trust CC members for best advice. It will give us 5 days of variety. Imagine the MDR gets old on a 14 day cruise 🙂

WIFI wasn't worth it to us. Our phones will work 11 days in port and if I really want the 250 min package prepaid was around $100 I believe. 

Thank you so much. Looking forward to our first NCL 

Specialty coffee drinks for example a latte or espresso or just a nespresso shot are not included in the ultimate beverage package.  Canned soda and water bottles of any sort are also not included. Fountain   Soda from the bar, hard alcoholic beverages, beer and wine by the glass under $15 are included.  I think your sailing has 4 sea days?  So you might get your $ worth on the sea days.  

We loved the itinerary and did it on the Jade last year.  We purchased a water package and believe it or not, water bottles and canned soda from the ship at $4 -$6 a piece + was a bargain compared to the price in Iceland. 

We we didn’t get the free beverage package because it didn’t covering most of what we were consuming. Also - not much drinking going on for the sea days just because the seas were pretty rough to and from Iceland. 

I know many folks don’t think much of the shore excursion credit but some of Ncl’s excursions are really not much more $ than diy- especially on your sailing. I found   Many of the private excursions were pay in full at booking and no refund if ship missed port.  Ncl’s excursions are refundable if they cancel a port or if you decide up to a certain cut off- I think 24-48 hours prior. We did the Jacobite tour diy in Inverness and we nearly missed the ship.  I would easily do the ships version next time around. 

7 hours ago, david_sobe said:

If you don't drink 5 drinks every day then the drink package is not worth it because of the gratuities you pay up front. 😉

Your math is way off David.  The 20% gratuities on the overpriced 99.00 drink package is just under 20.00 per day, so it's not 5 drinks needed because drinks are not 4.00 each.  The cheapest beer is 6.75 and I believe the cheapest basic drink is 9.95, so that would be 2 mixed drinks or glasses of wine or 3 beers to break even and anything else is gravy. 

26 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Your math is way off David.  The 20% gratuities on the overpriced 99.00 drink package is just under 20.00 per day, so it's not 5 drinks needed because drinks are not 4.00 each.  The cheapest beer is 6.75 and I believe the cheapest basic drink is 9.95, so that would be 2 mixed drinks or glasses of wine or 3 beers to break even and anything else is gravy. 

Yes, the break even is right around three drinks per day. Which is easy to do, even on port days. A mimosa or screwdriver at breakfast? A nice boat drink when you get back on board? A glass of wine with dinner? There you are. Already at three!

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

As others have mentioned, UBP and SDP are no-brainers, who wants to walk off the ship with a large alcohol tab?  On a cruise that long, even light drinkers will spend more than the gratuities on the package.  The tough choice is then between the shore ex and internet, and that it seems in your case may be a better value to take the shore ex.  Have a great cruise!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

Specialty coffee drinks for example a latte or espresso or just a nespresso shot are not included in the ultimate beverage package.  Canned soda and water bottles of any sort are also not included. Fountain   Soda from the bar, hard alcoholic beverages, beer and wine by the glass under $15 are included.  I think your sailing has 4 sea days?  So you might get your $ worth on the sea days.  

Ah! I didn't realize this. Thank you. I just assumed as that is part of the package on other lines. I guess I will just have to have an extra glass of wine every night to make up for it 😉

I think you made good choices, congrats. Sorry the airfare didn't pan out for you.

I am a big fan of the ShoreX perk. It is real money off of an expense I'm likely to have. Keep in mind it works for port excursions and for an airport transfer at the end of the cruise. Not only is this often a reasonable deal with the perk, but the convenience of having your luggage safely managed and getting one more tour is great. Last year on a S. Caribbean cruise with 5 ports plus the transfer I received $300 in credits, real money. I didn't ever worry about missing the ship and I enjoyed each port. I left one excursion early because I just didn't want to sit on the beach for 5hrs. The fact that I'd paid a discounted price probably let me feel freer to make that choice and have a great day in town instead.

Finally, there is risk that a port is missed so you're not able to get credit for that day. There's also a risk that you're not feeling up to par on a day and miss a dining reservation or ease off drinking for a day or two. You're on vacation, roll with it and enjoy what you have.

For me I don't drink much, I would never drink enough on a cruise to cover the cost of the 20% on the UBP.  I know a lot of people do and I would never discount this as a good option for other people.  I get free drinks in the casino so if I want a drink at dinner or anytime I just pop down there and bring it with me. I also get bottled water for my shoreEX from the casino the night before and pop it in the refrigerator. 

For me my next cruise is the 16 night Australia, New Zealand for Christmas and New Year.  I have chosen the shoreEX and here is why.  I found all of the tours that I wanted to do while on land.  I added up the costs of those tours booked outside of NCL which came to a total of 415.00 (Excluding the two other tours that I was booking outside of NCL already.) Then I found the similar tours offered through NCL.  I added them up and came to 727 USD.  These tours will happen over 6 port stops so that is 300 USD off the price. Dropping it to 427 USD.  From there I have 300 On Board Credit.  That takes the final price for those tours down to 127 USD out of pocket.  And makes them almost 300 USD cheaper than booking outside of the cruise line. 

I do want to highlight that I booked what would be the most expensive excursion The Taieri Gorge Railway Experience with the actual tour provider which saved me 209 USD.  So I will not get a shore excursion credit for that day.  Which is fine with me because I have already saved more than the 50$ credit by booking with the rail company.  I think you should do the math to make sure that this option works for you. 

I am also a solo traveler so this can make a difference in the choices that you make as well.  I would suggest doing the math on what you want to do and finding out which is the best option.  I always book with the gratuity free options and then if I change my mind when I am doing my planning I will call up NCL and have them change it and pay the gratuity then.  This allows me to really think about the experiences that I want to have and do.  You can change your choice until 24 hours before your cruise so don't feel locked in.