Snorkel Equipment

Mommags123

Hi there.

We are cruising on the Navigator of the Seas in March 2019 to the ABC islands.

We have some excursions planned but plan to do some "on our own" sight seeing of beaches.

The kids ( 20 year old and 26 year old) have expressed an interest in snorkeling but not that we want to do a snorkeling excursion...

Like they may want to do it for an hour or so at each island.

So we can buy 2 snorkel sets and take turns....  Or somebody said you can rent them on board.

Does anybody have any information about what they charge? Is it per day ? And or do they sell it on board?

Or ( sorry, I am famous for multipart questions) does anyone have a strong recommendation for a brand of snorkel gear that's good for beginner/ occasional snorkeler...

We have all done it before but on an excursion  with their equipment...

Being an accountant I want to do the cost analysis...  :) Thanks

I don't believe I've ever seen snorkel equipment for rent on board.  For sale, yes, but not for rent.  If I remember correctly, they have National Geographic brand for sale on board, somewhere around $30-$40.

My husband and I each got a snorkel set from US Divers a couple years ago from Amazon. Both sets have been used a number of times and have held up well. We love snorkeling, so having our own equipment has been a cost saver compared with renting each time. Sometimes we do an excursion (in which case having your own equipment doesn't save you money generally), but sometimes we'll just find a good snorkeling beach on our own if we are familiar with the port. They do take up some room in the suitcase, but, eh, it helps us from overpacking otherwise.

I would buy my own, I prefer my own and a good snorkel will save you from a mouthful of seawater.

This is 30 bucks you will probably pay 10-15 bucks to rent

https://www.amazon.com/PRODIVE-Premium-Dry-Top-Snorkel/dp/B0130UWUQ8/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1544586062&sr=1-3&keywords=snorkel+and+mask+sets

61d10JnITYL._SL1000_.jpg

I would purchase your own inexpensive snorkel gear either online or at a local warehouse club or big box retailer. Things purchased onboard will generally be more expensive than things purchased locally. And the beaches that you visit on your own, may or may not have equipment for rental. I think our equipment is US diver too, but it doesn't really matter if it is just going to be an occasional hobby. One of the snorkel operators questioned the quality of the rubber on my own mask, but I could still demonstrate a good seal, so I was fine with it. :classic_biggrin:

You can also go to a dive shop and buy anti-fog solution.  You rub it into the mask and rinse it out before putting it on. No more fogging.  We had our own and took those.  I also saw them on the ship for sale, but not for rent.

After our first rental experience, we bought our own from US Divers. Years ago in Caymen, we did an excursion and rented their gear. At the end of our time limit, they had us throw our gear in a pile. As we were leaving we noticed them getting ready for the next victims! They were hanging the mouth pieces back on the thing just as they were when we arrived. They didn't wash them.

I agree with above posters re purchasing beforehand. If you find you really like it, you can purchase fins online which I recommend. Some come with net bags which is helpful in carrying around. It's up to everyone but I would not use someone else's equipment especially the snorkeling tube. They will love it.

23 hours ago, Mommags123 said:

Being an accountant I want to do the cost analysis... 

There are very few times, including with this equipment, when the analysis leans toward RCI.

Biker, who snorkeled almost right next to the ship in Bonaire.

Edited by Biker19

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips....

It seems they are not horribly expensive and for the convenience it makes sense to get our own.

I may wait til January as the cruise pay off and a Christmas hit my credit card in December.... 

Hoping my husband will have enough American Express or Amazon points to get at least one set.... :)

In addition to a mask and snorkel I would invest in a rash guard shirt. They dry quickly and offer good protection from the sun.  I pack my prescription mask and a rash guard and rent or use the your find and float vest.  Good luck!

48 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

In addition to a mask and snorkel I would invest in a rash guard shirt. They dry quickly and offer good protection from the sun.  I pack my prescription mask and a rash guard and rent or use the your find and float vest.  Good luck!

I'd second this. I used a long sleeve Bare brand and it helped so much. Good investment. 

I would think twice about full-face masks, due to widely reported safety concerns (risk of CO2 buildup causing possible blackout).  Just get a conventional mask and snorkel, and ideally practice in a pond or lake before you venture out on vacation.  A dry or semi-dry snorkel is very easy to learn to use.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/hawaii-full-face-snorkel-mask-related-deaths/

Edited by Kite99

43 minutes ago, Kite99 said:

I would think twice about full-face masks, due to widely reported safety concerns (risk of CO2 buildup causing possible blackout).  Just get a conventional mask and snorkel, and ideally practice in a pond or lake before you venture out on vacation.  A dry or semi-dry snorkel is very easy to learn to use.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/hawaii-full-face-snorkel-mask-related-deaths/

Yes, a conventional mask/snorkel is best!  Do practice if possible ... even a swimming pool is better than no practice at all.