Scooters ? Inside room

alwayslisad

I will be renting a scooter for my Bermuda cruise on the Gem.   I have an inside room and am looking for guidance on where to park it overnight.   Is there enough room in the cabin or are they parked outside your door.   On Carnival I had enough room in my cabin.  Princess allowed all scooters to be in hall or in the rooms.    I have not been on a NCL since starting using a scooter for my mobility.   Thank you in advance.

"Should you choose a stateroom that has not been designated as accessible, you will need to bring a collapsible wheelchair, or if you have a motorized wheelchair or scooter, the width must not exceed 26 inches to enter the stateroom door. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area" - NCL

Depends on what inside cabin you have.  I've even had an accessible inside cabin on the Gem that didn't have enough room for my scooter (sideways orientation cabin.)  While the rules do specify that you must store it in your room, during that cruise I spoke to the Access Officer onboard and they said no problem we will store it for you and then bring it to you when you need it.  That said, I hated the idea of calling and then waiting so I tried to make do with my walker whenever I could. 

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Depends on what inside cabin you have.  I've even had an accessible inside cabin on the Gem that didn't have enough room for my scooter (sideways orientation cabin.)  While the rules do specify that you must store it in your room, during that cruise I spoke to the Access Officer onboard and they said no problem we will store it for you and then bring it to you when you need it.  That said, I hated the idea of calling and then waiting so I tried to make do with my walker whenever I could. 

It is indeed a problem worthy of discussion:

NCL will not allow as noted storage in passageways public areas elevator stairway foyers.

Your cabin steward can help with the storage as he has a few service closets that are not in use all the time.

On most ships the passageways outside of the guests cabins are so narrow that two wheelchairs can not pass -

as for scooters possible may require some degree of jockeying - made even more troublesome during the time

that the cabin stewards are busy with their service carts.

Sideways Inside Cabins are better than the traditional deep rectangular type.

With the sideways cabin the wc or scooter can be parked in the middle of room - in the case of the long rectangle

it would be a obstruction in getting to the bath/restroom facility and for others to get in and out of the cabin.

It helps to have a handicap cabin with a wider door 36 inches as opposed to the 30 inches.

Location is also an important consideration and booking far enough in advance to secure that location.

Having that location where the passageway is straight should be of prime choice - able to see obstacles and plan

an alternate route. I.E. NCL DAWN deck 8 would be a disaster decks 9 or 10 would be best.

I was on the POA last December and the scooter would not fit in the balcony room because of the bed layout. When I was done with the scooter for the night, I parked it in the hall and called guest services. They sent someone to pick it up. They stored all the scooters in a large meeting room nearby guest services and charged it overnight. When I needed the scooter in the morning, I again called guest services and they brought it up. 

I saw a ton of scooters on the Epic recently and I wondered if there was enough room in the cabin to store them when not out and about. 

i was glad to read this thread, I think pizzalady's description is just about the best solution possible.  very cool that they charge them overnight and provide delivery. 

16 hours ago, alwayslisad said:

I will be renting a scooter for my Bermuda cruise on the Gem.   I have an inside room and am looking for guidance on where to park it overnight.   Is there enough room in the cabin or are they parked outside your door.   On Carnival I had enough room in my cabin.  Princess allowed all scooters to be in hall or in the rooms.    I have not been on a NCL since starting using a scooter for my mobility.   Thank you in advance.

I would check to see if an inside accessible cabin is available.  They do go quick though!

22 hours ago, alwayslisad said:

Contact  NCL's Access Desk.   They need to know you are bringing a scooter and will send you a form ("Special Accommodations Requirements Information") to complete and return.  They will be able to answer your questions. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

13 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Contact  NCL's Access Desk.   They need to know you are bringing a scooter and will send you a form ("Special Accommodations Requirements Information") to complete and return.  They will be able to answer your questions. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

that is exactly what the OP needs to do and I am guessing they will be told to get an accessible cabin. Inside cabins are not going to be large enough for a scooter.