Caribbean Princess - a pleasant surprise

Camelia-

7 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

All are touchless outside the WFM on the CB. 

Maybe on CB but not all Princess ships.

I wouldn’t object to washing my hands if soap and water were all touchless 😊

Edited by jennybenny

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The truth is that one properly cleans their hands before eating when they use the sanitary facilities as requested by the cruise line.  It's a sad day when grownups are making excuses for not washing their hands before eating.  Washing your hands in the cabin is not the same thing as cleaning your hands at the entrance to the buffet and I doubt that you do not touch ANYTHING between your cabin bathroom sink and where I am eating.  (ie: cabin doorknobs, hangers, bathroom doorknob, bathroom towels, your keycard etc...)

You are welcome to enjoy your Norovirus cruise, please don't take me along for the ride.  When I use the sanitary facilities at the buffet entrance I know I'm reducing my prospects of catching your illnesses.

How many tongs do you pick up when you serve yourself at the buffet?    And how many people with dirty hands have touched them??   Even plates - I have seen many people pick one up and then put it back.   Heck, last cruise my husband pointed to a man that kept picking up rolls, feeling them and putting them back.    We only had lunch there twice in the two weeks.    And we could say the same thing for the MDR.   How many people touched your menus - salt and pepper shakers??

25 minutes ago, Ombud said:

What can you tell me about international cafe? On the Dimond it just has snacks. On the Royal and Sapphire it has light meals. Can I get coffee also 24 hours there?

Yes it was open 24 hours so getting regular or specialty coffees was no problem. In the morning fresh pastries, muffins and donuts were available. I didn’t really go for lunch or dinner but I recall as I passed by that they had hot soup as well as salads and perhaps mini sandwiches though I can’t be sure of that.

• Like 1

Thank you for your positive comments about this ship. It will be our first time on Princess (although we've taken 45 cruises)

and I was worried I had made a mistake as I've read so  many negative comments about the ship. I feel better now after reading your post.  Happy Holidays!

I'm quite

11 minutes ago, cole'snana said:

Thank you for your positive comments about this ship. It will be our first time on Princess (although we've taken 45 cruises)

and I was worried I had made a mistake as I've read so  many negative comments about the ship. I feel better now after reading your post.  Happy Holidays!

I'm quite certain you will enjoy yourselves. Of the Princess boats I've sailed on, the CB is my favorite. 

31 minutes ago, cole'snana said:

You're very welcome! I'm so glad that it has reassured you - that was my intention. It's not new..it's not sparkling (though absolutely clean)  and not loaded with the bells and whistles of the newer ships..but it has personality and I think it will give you an idea of the Princess experience.

Happy sailing!

On 12/13/2018 at 3:53 PM, Camelia- said:

I had read very positive and very negative comments regarding the world fresh Marketplace buffet and I can honestly say that I thought it was great. I loved the new dishes which they had. I thought that the selections were very creative and not usually what was available before. There was a bit of repetition during the second week but I suppose that happens on all ships on the longer cruises. They did give out random surveys to be filled in each day and I was pleased to be able to provide feedback. It's obviously a work in progress and I'm happy that they are asking for reactions at this point - shows that they are flexible. Having said this I can sort of understand where the negative comments were coming from as well. One person I asked described the buffet as being too "exotic" and I suppose that's true - especially if you're used to the more traditional fare. I guess I really like exotic!!

We're part of the crowd that doesn't appreciate the "exotic" recipes served in the buffet. Of course everyone is different but we still prefer the Royal buffet items much more. 

I don't really want pre-cut items placed in cardboard containers under heat lamps or hot dogs that already have topping on them. :classic_angry: There were very few nights when they actually had appealing things to eat although the DR was pretty good anyd we only had 2 meals that were so totally uneatable we had to send them back.

We won't return to the CB anytime soon. 

btw- the horderves served at the MTP were also terrible. Even the buffet food was better. 😁

22 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

We're part of the crowd that doesn't appreciate the "exotic" recipes served in the buffet. Of course everyone is different but we still prefer the Royal buffet items much more. 

I don't really want pre-cut items placed in cardboard containers under heat lamps or hot dogs that already have topping on them. :classic_angry: There were very few nights when they actually had appealing things to eat although the DR was pretty good anyd we only had 2 meals that were so totally uneatable we had to send them back.

We won't return to the CB anytime soon. 

btw- the horderves served at the MTP were also terrible. Even the buffet food was better. 😁

I'm so sorry that your experience wasn't as good as mine. Yes it is a valid point regarding the portioned food sitting under the lamps but I noticed that they were constantly adding new ones so they must have gone really fast (and been very popular for most). I'm not sure if the ready made sandwiches were as popular - obviously meant for those who want to "grab and go" and not linger at all. I must say I prefer made to order myself but I'm certain that if I had asked for it they would have obliged - they were very helpful.  Your point about the lack of appealing things to eat at night reminded me. On other ships that I've been on there were usually a few scattering of tables occupied during the evening period in the Horizon Court. It always had a bit of an abandoned feel. This time round I was amazed at how many people were actually having dinner at the buffet each night. No matter what time we went there were always a number of people there and one night I even had trouble finding a table!! Not sure if this was because Planks and Steamers were not available for free in the evening though.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:03 PM, Ombud said:

What can you tell me about international cafe? On the Dimond it just has snacks. On the Royal and Sapphire it has light meals. Can I get coffee also 24 hours there?

Greetings from the Caribbean Princess. We are currently in the middle of the ocean, headed to the USVI.

The International Cafe and New Grounds coffee are attached, but I'm not sure they are technically the same thing. Brewed coffee seems to be always available, as is light food/sandwiches, depending on the time of day. (More bakery items in the morning, snacks, sandwiches and desserts later on.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Camelia- said:

I'm so sorry that your experience wasn't as good as mine. Yes it is a valid point regarding the portioned food sitting under the lamps but I noticed that they were constantly adding new ones so they must have gone really fast (and been very popular for most). I'm not sure if the ready made sandwiches were as popular - obviously meant for those who want to "grab and go" and not linger at all. I must say I prefer made to order myself but I'm certain that if I had asked for it they would have obliged - they were very helpful.  Your point about the lack of appealing things to eat at night reminded me. On other ships that I've been on there were usually a few scattering of tables occupied during the evening period in the Horizon Court. It always had a bit of an abandoned feel. This time round I was amazed at how many people were actually having dinner at the buffet each night. No matter what time we went there were always a number of people there and one night I even had trouble finding a table!! Not sure if this was because Planks and Steamers were not available for free in the evening though.

Yea, I forgot about the pre made sandwiches. I never saw anyone take any. I wonder how many were just thrown out at the end of the shift? That was a total waste. Why not have a crew member making them up one the spot with what I want on one and as much as I want. Having someone select what goes on the roll isn't a great idea. They had no problem dedicating a whole end section for drinks. 😁:classic_laugh:

22 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

Yea, I forgot about the pre made sandwiches. I never saw anyone take any. I wonder how many were just thrown out at the end of the shift? That was a total waste. Why not have a crew member making them up one the spot with what I want on one and as much as I want. Having someone select what goes on the roll isn't a great idea. They had no problem dedicating a whole end section for drinks. 😁:classic_laugh:

On a 14 day cruise I got one of the pre-made sandwiches. There is a reason I got only one. 😖

3 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

I took a quick peak at them & couldn't find any with meat. If there was any on them it must have been buried under all the veggies.

I hope you mentioned this in your post-cruise evaluation. I darn sure did. 

48 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I hope you mentioned this in your post-cruise evaluation. I darn sure did. 

I sure did. It was the lowest rating for food I've ever given any Princess ship. Do they actually expect people to eat hot dogs as a main item on a buffet? I can understand by the pool in the afternoon but dinner?

From what I heard, if the food on the CB gets enough good comments, this will also spread to other ships as well. Although I doubt that that would include the Royal class ships. 

It's a shame because the food in the DR, except for 2 dishes, was exceptionally good.

We’re just off the CB yesterday after the 10-day Canal Cruise. In general terms, we enjoyed the variety of the World Food Marketplace. Admittedly, we only ate breakfast there and two lunches, but were satisfied with the selection.  Hubby enjoyed the omelette station and I was amazed at the variety of egg dishes available in the morning.  Granted, it’s hard to please everyone but I give them an A for effort. I agree with the comment about the amount of pre-made sandwiches available; I read that their intent was to have something quick to grab as you head out on excursions. Good idea though perhaps too many made in advance. 

There was an earlier question about the International Cafe and Grounds Coffee. They are independent of each other. The Int’l Cafe has a decent selection of nice salads (changed daily), paninis, wraps, desserts. We occasionally would stop there after a day in port, for a late lunch/snack. My favorite was the feta watermelon salad. 

We enjoyed the new “Medallion” experience, though there were occasional signs of growing pains. It is nice to have the cabin door unlock as you approach. There are also large screens at elevator banks with general information as well as current and future activities. Very handy.  There is also the capability to preorder a drink and plug in where and when you’ll be present. There are other icons on the site not yet “live” that would add to the experience. Nicely interactive. 

The ship itself was immaculate and as usual on other Princess ships, there was constant cleaning, polishing, painting, etc. No complaints there.

Probably the only bothersome issue was that it took our cabin steward a few days to get things “right.” By day 3 afternoon, we hadn’t gotten any ice and had to request. He also seemed possibly overwhelmed at his job and if we had the “do not disturb” sign out,  we’d just have to wait until the evening rounds. I admit we’ve been spoiled over the years with outstanding stewards, he was just not one who “exceeded expectations” like the others. Maybe he was just ready for some time off. 

On a side note, we were disappointed we had to skip Grand Cayman. Captain 

stated there were 5-7 foot waves at the pier which was not safe for the tenders. 

Had a fun snorkeling day planned. Oh well, next time. 

19 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

We’re just off the CB yesterday after the 10-day Canal Cruise. In general terms, we enjoyed the variety of the World Food Marketplace. Admittedly, we only ate breakfast there and two lunches, but were satisfied with the selection.  Hubby enjoyed the omelette station and I was amazed at the variety of egg dishes available in the morning.  Granted, it’s hard to please everyone but I give them an A for effort. I agree with the comment about the amount of pre-made sandwiches available; I read that their intent was to have something quick to grab as you head out on excursions. Good idea though perhaps too many made in advance. 

There was an earlier question about the International Cafe and Grounds Coffee. They are independent of each other. The Int’l Cafe has a decent selection of nice salads (changed daily), paninis, wraps, desserts. We occasionally would stop there after a day in port, for a late lunch/snack. My favorite was the feta watermelon salad. 

We enjoyed the new “Medallion” experience, though there were occasional signs of growing pains. It is nice to have the cabin door unlock as you approach. There are also large screens at elevator banks with general information as well as current and future activities. Very handy.  There is also the capability to preorder a drink and plug in where and when you’ll be present. There are other icons on the site not yet “live” that would add to the experience. Nicely interactive. 

The ship itself was immaculate and as usual on other Princess ships, there was constant cleaning, polishing, painting, etc. No complaints there.

Probably the only bothersome issue was that it took our cabin steward a few days to get things “right.” By day 3 afternoon, we hadn’t gotten any ice and had to request. He also seemed possibly overwhelmed at his job and if we had the “do not disturb” sign out,  we’d just have to wait until the evening rounds. I admit we’ve been spoiled over the years with outstanding stewards, he was just not one who “exceeded expectations” like the others. Maybe he was just ready for some time off. 

On a side note, we were disappointed we had to skip Grand Cayman. Captain 

stated there were 5-7 foot waves at the pier which was not safe for the tenders. 

Had a fun snorkeling day planned. Oh well, next time. 

So glad that you're experience was as pleasant as mine was.  I totally agree about the sandwiches - great idea but the execution wasn't ideal..hopefully things will improve with time.

I had to laugh when you mentioned the medallion growing pains - It became a joke for us after a while..it seemed that the Medallion had chosen the "favourite" and no matter which one of us approached the door first - it was always the favourite's picture  which showed up first when the door unlocked..if it unlocked -at times we had to help it along as well.

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

Didn't you just get off CB, Captain??

I was on the CB for 14 days in January. We booked this cruise to try out the Ocean Medallion. 

I downloaded the Ocean Ready App. I’m going to receive the Ocean Medallion in the mail. 2 weeks before the cruise.

Tony

55B20F03-4134-41DB-91EA-2E60274C7D01.jpeg