Hello everyone! I have a question. I plan on taking a repositioning cruise next year. Vancouver to Tokyo. I was wanting to disembark in Tokyo and spend a few weeks there then head out. Is this a common thing? Is this type of thing allowed by the cruise line and immigration? 

The cruise ends in Tokyo. I’m an American passport holder therefore I do not need a visa. Has anybody had an experience like this? I look forward to hearing from you all. 

If the cruise ends in Tokyo, there's no problem staying there as long as your visa allows.

If the cruise does not end in Tokyo and you are looking to leave the cruise early there, then it would normally be allowed, with advance notice to the cruise line.

Not a problem. When your cruise has reached the final destination you can stay as long as passport/visa does allow. You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist "visa free" stays of up to 90 days in Japan for U.S. Citizens.

China would require a visa. For Japan you just need your passport. Totally normal thing to do. I'm told Kyoto is a nicer city; just something to consider when planning what to do in Japan! Here's some info from the people who make the rules: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Japan.html

On 12/14/2018 at 4:49 AM, Ryan Bonscher said:

Hello everyone! I have a question. I plan on taking a repositioning cruise next year. Vancouver to Tokyo. I was wanting to disembark in Tokyo and spend a few weeks there then head out. Is this a common thing? Is this type of thing allowed by the cruise line and immigration? 

The cruise ends in Tokyo. I’m an American passport holder therefore I do not need a visa. Has anybody had an experience like this? I look forward to hearing from you all. 

Cruises which end in "Tokyo" typically finish in Yokohama, a fair distance from the capital.  The only problem I should worry about if you are using flights booked through the cruise line is whether these can be booked on dates significantly different from the start/finish dates of the cruise.  To ease the stress on disembarkation I should book one night in Yokohama and consider booking my own flights independently.  The risk with this is flight problems arriving in Vancouver on independent flight arrangements and the ship not waiting for you unlike with cruise line booked flights.  This means booking at least one nights hotel accommodation in Vancouver pre-cruise.

Regards John 

On 12/13/2018 at 11:49 PM, Ryan Bonscher said:

Has anybody had an experience like this? I look forward to hearing from you all. 

It's pretty common for many cruise passengers to stay a few days or longer in either where they start or end their cruise (or both).  I've taken 4 "repositioning" cruises (3 transoceanic, 1 Panama Canal) and in each case I've enjoyed vacation time there.  One of my trips started in Tokyo, and I spend 4 days there before boarding -- I wish it had been more, I envy your few weeks there.  (As someone said, find out if you actually disembark in Tokyo or Yokohama, but either is no problem.)   I spent 10 days in New Zealand after my cruise to Auckland, and several days in New York after my Panama Canal cruise.

Take advantage of your location and enjoy!

On 12/18/2018 at 2:10 AM, john watson said:

Cruises which end in "Tokyo" typically finish in Yokohama, a fair distance from the capital.  The only problem I should worry about if you are using flights booked through the cruise line is whether these can be booked on dates significantly different from the start/finish dates of the cruise...

Regards John 

On the other hand...

I think the warning about what might be issues with cruise-related flights is a fair one. But I know I have made reservations for flights several weeks before or after a cruise, from airports several thousand miles away from embarkation or debarkation points. So do ask your cruise line air connection and you may be pleasantly surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

Booking flights days, even weeks, ahead or after the actual cruise dates is done frequently.  As is booking flights for only one direction, for a variety of reasons.  Just be aware of insurance limitations if you purchase cruise insurance coverage, and include dates from leaving home to returning home if purchasing third party.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, cherylandtk said:

Booking flights days, even weeks, ahead or after the actual cruise dates is done frequently.  As is booking flights for only one direction, for a variety of reasons.  Just be aware of insurance limitations if you purchase cruise insurance coverage, and include dates from leaving home to returning home if purchasing third party.

Just one more reason (among many) to avoid any cruise policy sold by a cruise line (the exception are some older seniors that cannot get other insurance at a fair price).  Third party travel insurance policies have no issues with extending trips although the premiums will increase based on extra days and cost.

Hank