Miami Int'l to Cruise Port

cellfree

In the past we have always taken a cab from MIA to the Port.  I now have the Uber App on my phone and in October I put the Port of Miami on it while at MIA and it said the estimated time of arrival for an Uber ride was 25 minutes out.  So we ended up taking a cab again.  But now that I am home, I am wondering if I read or understood that correctly.  Does it indeed take 25+ minutes for a pickup by Uber?  Is there something I do not know or understand?  I am sure this is very basic to so many of you so would appreciate your help.  Next cruise, January, yeah!

My experience with Uber in Miami has been that they show up within a few short minutes, both at the airport and the port. One time they were there within 60 seconds. Of course, it all has to do with availability at the time you request the service. Could you have been looking at the estimated time of arrival at your destination? 

MIA airport is a VERY easy pickup for Uber.  It's my favorite of every airport I've ever been to.  Mostly because there is a lot of lanes to move traffic along, it's well designed and the Ubers don't have designated spots you have to find.  The app will just ask you for the door number - which you can't miss as you walk out of the baggage claim door.  It's also posted on the columns.  So you just enter your door number and the Uber shows up at the middle median.  Usually within a couple of minutes.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Appreciate everyone's response - perhaps the eta I was looking at was how long it would take to get to my destination/the port - will be more observant in January when I go onto the App at MIA.

That was definitely your ETA to the port. Drivers are lined up at the airports waiting for their turn.  There is never a wait like that just to get an Uber. 

30 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Perfect, I thought it was strange that the "wait" was so long, now I know better, thank you, Linda.

It should show how long the driver will be. 25 min would be strange and that's about the drive from the airport to cruise port.  So there should be that number, too. I sure hope it wasn't the wait!  I've never seen it that long before.  That said, try Uber at MIA. It's so easy and convenient. 

5 minutes ago, pittypat said:

What is the usual fare for 3 people with 3 bags to Port of Miami from Miami International?

TIA,

pittypat

Flat fate cab fare - standard taxi or SUV/minivan cabs are the same price - is $27+tip between MIA and POM (either direction).  If you can squeeze into UberX or standard Lyft the fare will be closer to $20

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jordanaire said:

What would the Uber or Lyft rate  be for 4 people and their luggage from MIA to the Port of Miami? Would it be best to use an Uber XL or taxi (van)?

Rate for the taxi can or UberXL will be very close, about $27+ from MIA to POM

On 12/19/2018 at 9:48 AM, BNBR said:

MIA airport is a VERY easy pickup for Uber.  It's my favorite of every airport I've ever been to.  Mostly because there is a lot of lanes to move traffic along, it's well designed and the Ubers don't have designated spots you have to find.  The app will just ask you for the door number - which you can't miss as you walk out of the baggage claim door.  It's also posted on the columns.  So you just enter your door number and the Uber shows up at the middle median.  Usually within a couple of minutes.

We are also  going to use Uber pre-cruise to brickell area motel. I am a newby to Uber as I have only one ride with then so far. But they saved the day when the taxi stood us up on a pickup. I have a few questions about getting the Uber at MIA.

(1) after claiming luggage, is it easy to find the Uber pickup area. Does the signage actually say Uber pickup. 

(2) when you say the app will ask you the door number. Does that happen right when you summit for ride. Does it pop up on the map page? Will it be intuitive. 

(3) we have four adults,  four  standard size pieces of luggage, and two carry ons. Would an Uber XL be the right size.

There is no pickup area. So no signage. They pickup just like if your friend was picking you up, so wherever you are. 

Yes, the app will ask you for the door number when booking. I don't think it will actually let you request an Uber without entering the door number.  So yes, very intuitive.  When you try to book, it knows you are at the airport and will ask you for the door number automatically. It won't let you screw it up.   The door number is very obvious when you are walking out of baggage claim. It's on the columns as well. 

Just walk out to the middle median. Very simple. 

Uber XL would be required for 4 with luggage and should be fine. 

Has anyone used Uber / called for Uber from the Car Rental Building which on the third floor (I think) exit of the Facility?  We rent a vehicle, drive to MIA, and drop the vehicle there.  It would be more convenient than heading to Arrivals at the Airport itself.

If you rent from National, Alamo, Thrifty or Enterprise they will shuttle you between the car rental center and POM.

I can't imagine Uber not picking you up there, although you may need to communicate with your driver to verify your location.