Regent vs. HAL

FeliciaLee

11 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Plus the smallest of the HAL ships is far larger than anything Regent has.  And  I don't like large ships...And then HAL is owned by Carnival.  That put a stop to my comparisons!!

HAL is owned by Carnival Corporation not by Carnival Cruises.

Carnival Corporation also owns Cunard and Seabourn, amongst many others

As others have pointed out most cruiselines are now owned by one of the big three corporations - Carnival, RCL or NCLH.

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Probably true - yet I prefer to cruise on lines (Regent and Oceania in my case) where the CEO of the parent company is Frank del Rio.   I think he does things as they should be done and the fact that Regent management participate in these forums reflects that.  (FDR was well known to do this when he ran Oceania, way before the Regent acquisition and the subsequent sell to NCL...)

Could not have been said better!  Frank Del Rio has done an amazing job with Oceania, Regent and NCL. 

In terms of the last post, in my opinion, it doesn’t matter if a cruise line is owned by Carnival Cruises or Carnival Corporation, NCLH or Norwegian Cruise Lines....... this makes Carnival a sister cruise line to HAL, Princess, Cunard, Seabourn et al.  They share staff, provisioning, etc. - just as Regent, Oceania and NCL do.

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Probably true - yet I prefer to cruise on lines (Regent and Oceania in my case) where the CEO of the parent company is Frank del Rio.   I think he does things as they should be done and the fact that Regent management participate in these forums reflects that.  (FDR was well known to do this when he ran Oceania, way before the Regent acquisition and the subsequent sell to NCL...)

No arguments that Regent and Oceania are first rate. But I think you’ll find that there are other top flight CEO’s out there in the cruising world. Lisa Lutoff-Perlo at Celebrity is accomplishing some amazing things, as is Orlando Ashford at HA. Of course this is just my opinion, but the degree of innovation coming out of both companies is super impressive.

No doubt that is also true - but since I have not sailed on any of those lines I can't say for sure.  What I DO know is that I loved sailing on Regent when Mark Conroy ran it because I really appreciated the personal interest/involvement he had with passengers.  I found the same thing but to a far greater degree when I "moved" to Oceania and cannot envisage even trying another line now.  I don't like "mass market" stuff so NCL is out but I am SO happy with R&O and plan to stick to those!

Parenthetically - I didn't know that Silversea was no longer owned by Italians!!  Since when is it RCI  ??

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

No doubt that is also true - but since I have not sailed on any of those lines I can't say for sure.  What I DO know is that I loved sailing on Regent when Mark Conroy ran it because I really appreciated the personal interest/involvement he had with passengers.  I found the same thing but to a far greater degree when I "moved" to Oceania and cannot envisage even trying another line now.  I don't like "mass market" stuff so NCL is out but I am SO happy with R&O and plan to stick to those!

Parenthetically - I didn't know that Silversea was no longer owned by Italians!!  Since when is it RCI  ??

I hope she is confusing Silversea with Azamara.  I have cruised Seabourn with the CEO of Carnival and he is a wonderful person.  I have no problem with the Carnival Corporation.  You just have to expect what you are going to get.  It is as advertised.  For itinerary, price, all the same, I would pick Seabourn over Regent any day.

2 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

I hope she is confusing Silversea with Azamara.  I have cruised Seabourn with the CEO of Carnival and he is a wonderful person.  I have no problem with the Carnival Corporation.  You just have to expect what you are going to get.  It is as advertised.  For itinerary, price, all the same, I would pick Seabourn over Regent any day.

Depends on what you mean by "owned".  In summer 2018 the Levebre family sold 67% of Silversea to RCI apparently.  I didn't know that before right now!  Unless RCI also owns Azamara there is no connection.  Not having cruised either - I can't make any further comment about them...

55 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Depends on what you mean by "owned".  In summer 2018 the Levebre family sold 67% of Silversea to RCI apparently.  I didn't know that before right now!  Unless RCI also owns Azamara there is no connection.  Not having cruised either - I can't make any further comment about them...

Then she knows what she is talking about.  We have cruised SilverSeas.  No complaints.  We have cruised Azamara.  It would have to be a great deal on a great itinerary for us to do it again.  Our 3 worst cruises.  #1 - Celebrity.  #2 Royal Caribbean.  #3 Azamara.  All RCCL.

We have cruised only on Regent, Princess and HAL. Have just shy of 200 days sailing on HAL, 145 days sailing on Regent and a little over 300 on Princess. Regent is our number one line, followed by Princess, the Seven Seas Voyager is our favorite ship. We quit HAL four years ago. We feel that Princess has a slight edge over HAL. No particular reason why we left HAL other than their loyalty perks are the most stingy we have experienced. We had some good cruises on HAL though, particularly one for three months on the Prinsendam.  Regent is far superior to HAL in almost all categories, but you get what you pay for. On the Regent Voyager and Navigator their staterooms, which are the equivalent mini-suites on HAL and Princess, are gigantic in comparison to those we had with HAL. Walk in closets, walk in showers in addition to a bath tub, etc. 

However, due to my sister-in-law sailing with us on a one month cruise and TA last month we booked our first full suite ever, on the Pacific Princess. We wanted another toilet in a suite so I did a lot of research, I found that the "Owner Suites" on the Pacific Princess were superior to the equivalent on Regent, in particular it was about the only ship with a half bath included except for the very largest of Regent's suites, which have two full baths. We dearly loved everything about the suite and all the amenities that came with it, over 900 square feet.

Carnival Corp, about 5 years ago created the "Holland America Group" and put Stein Kruse in as CEO. This move took away some of the autonomy that HAL, Princess and Seabourn previously had. It even merged all HAL and Princess land operations in Alaska under one extensive hotel, railroad coach and sightseeing buses under one umbrella. 

In October we sailed on the Mariner for a month, Concierge Suite--which is basically a mini-suite, hadn't been on the Mariner for four years. Yes, we did have a large flat screen TV, as well as curtains that separated the bedroom, which most lines have done away with but yet still use the false designation--"mini-suite".

I summed it up this way: "Soon after we boarded we checked out the Main Dining Room, The Compass Rose, and wondered if we were on the right ship. We weren't aware that the Mariner went through an extensive refurbishment last March. Quite a change in the MDR, not just in the general decor but with wait staff and cuisine. Special shout out for the wine pairing sommeliers. Now, don't get me wrong, the Mariner was always great, but it was now super."

"I realize Regent's prices are pretty steep and going up, so are the other line's prices that we frequent. But you have to say this about Frank Del Rio (FDR)'s Regent. The other lines seem to not only be increasing prices but also engaging in a commensurate ratcheting down of overall cruise quality. While at the same time, Regent is enhancing over all cruise quality.

Edited by kennicott

On 12/24/2018 at 6:02 AM, Hambagahle said:

Gerry, we were happy when RCI purchased the majority of Silversea.  Silversea has two lovely ships (they have lots more than two but we like two of them) but they needed to be refurbished more often and have maintenance done in between refurbishments.  Maybe now the ships will be taken care of better.  There is something about Silversea that we really like (not as much as Regent) and we would consider sailing on one of their two ships in September 2019 (that is the month of the year that we cheat on Regent with a West Coast itinerary ..... last year on Celebrity and this year on another cruise line)

Yes - RCI does own Azamara so I guess that Celebrity is their premium brand, Azamara is premium plus and, of course,  Silversea is luxury.

48 minutes ago, kennicott said:

683511255_TelevisionintypicalMarinercabin.jpg.fea7d9fe2821ba6803b921cf3a370f93.jpg

Is that a concierge suite on the Mariner?  I'm guessing that it is since you mentioned that you were in a concierge suite.  Whatever suite it is, it is too small (noting the walking space between the bed and the wall and imaging try to walk around the coffee table when the little still is out so that one can sit there.

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Is that a concierge suite on the Mariner?  I'm guessing that it is since you mentioned that you were in a concierge suite.  Whatever suite it is, it is too small (noting the walking space between the bed and the wall and imaging try to walk around the coffee table when the little still is out so that one can sit there.

Yeah, well it's what most of us folk end up with on Mariner, until you get up to a PH.  Could wish for bigger, but love the rest of the ship.

5 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yeah, well it's what most of us folk end up with on Mariner, until you get up to a PH.  Could wish for bigger, but love the rest of the ship.

Agree that she is a beautiful ship but my DH insists on larger suites.  

We like the Mariner, but all the suites are the same size below penthouse, at 256 sq. ft. Interior room. For us, that is too small. Penthouse and above is way too costly. 

It has been my understanding that RCI owns Celebrity, and Azamara is a branch of Celebrity.

One alternative that hasn't been mentioned is MSC Yacht Club -- available on their newer and larger ships. It is a separate part of the ship not accessible to those not booked there. Separate dining room, bar (all drinks included) mini bar (inclusive), pool, and entry/exit. There are interior rooms in the Yacht Club (we wouldn't book those), 306 sq. ft. (interior) balcony "suites", and larger suites. For us, the balcony suites are fine, and very affordable. We liked the food and service on our Yacht Club cruise, and we didn't have to get out in the "lines and crowds" unless we wanted to do so. Within the Yacht Club, it felt more "small ship" than Regent.

Edited by Dolebludger

On 12/29/2018 at 9:26 PM, kennicott said:

We have cruised only on Regent, Princess and HAL. Have just shy of 200 days sailing on HAL, 145 days sailing on Regent and a little over 300 on Princess. Regent is our number one line, followed by Princess, the Seven Seas Voyager is our favorite ship. We quit HAL four years ago. We feel that Princess has a slight edge over HAL. No particular reason why we left HAL other than their loyalty perks are the most stingy we have experienced. We had some good cruises on HAL though, particularly one for three months on the Prinsendam.  Regent is far superior to HAL in almost all categories, but you get what you pay for. On the Regent Voyager and Navigator their staterooms, which are the equivalent mini-suites on HAL and Princess, are gigantic in comparison to those we had with HAL. Walk in closets, walk in showers in addition to a bath tub, etc. 

However, due to my sister-in-law sailing with us on a one month cruise and TA last month we booked our first full suite ever, on the Pacific Princess. We wanted another toilet in a suite so I did a lot of research, I found that the "Owner Suites" on the Pacific Princess were superior to the equivalent on Regent, in particular it was about the only ship with a half bath included except for the very largest of Regent's suites, which have two full baths. We dearly loved everything about the suite and all the amenities that came with it, over 900 square feet.

Carnival Corp, about 5 years ago created the "Holland America Group" and put Stein Kruse in as CEO. This move took away some of the autonomy that HAL, Princess and Seabourn previously had. It even merged all HAL and Princess land operations in Alaska under one extensive hotel, railroad coach and sightseeing buses under one umbrella. 

In October we sailed on the Mariner for a month, Concierge Suite--which is basically a mini-suite, hadn't been on the Mariner for four years. Yes, we did have a large flat screen TV, as well as curtains that separated the bedroom, which most lines have done away with but yet still use the false designation--"mini-suite".

I summed it up this way: "Soon after we boarded we checked out the Main Dining Room, The Compass Rose, and wondered if we were on the right ship. We weren't aware that the Mariner went through an extensive refurbishment last March. Quite a change in the MDR, not just in the general decor but with wait staff and cuisine. Special shout out for the wine pairing sommeliers. Now, don't get me wrong, the Mariner was always great, but it was now super."

"I realize Regent's prices are pretty steep and going up, so are the other line's prices that we frequent. But you have to say this about Frank Del Rio (FDR)'s Regent. The other lines seem to not only be increasing prices but also engaging in a commensurate ratcheting down of overall cruise quality. While at the same time, Regent is enhancing over all cruise quality.

All good points! But I have a few bones to pick regarding your assessment of HAL vs. Regent. At 3-4 times the cost, of course Regent is superior!  But, I don’t think it’s 3-4 times better. And since we only drink a glass of wine at dinner,  the all inclusive alcohol isn’t really a factor. And the included excursions aren’t really a factor either, since on our Explorer cruise they were pretty much all bad.

With Hal’s new emphasis on music, particularly the live venues Billboard on Board and Lincoln Center, we feel they have the the edge on fun and lively nighttime entertainment. Apartment size suites aren’t really our thing either, and aside from the concierge suites on the Explorer ( which of course we loved...who wouldn’t?), most cruise ship cabins are generally all the same.

We we haven’t been cruising altogether that long, and for us itineraries are still important. HAL’s cruises are longer, with considerably more unique and interesting ports, in addition to the “usual suspects” that Regent visits almost exclusively. And when you get into 3-4 week cruises, which we prefer when travelling to the other side of the world, the cost differential is staggering. 

So we like HAL better.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes that is a Mariner concierge suite. Wasn't our particular one but another, I posted this one due to comments that the television was small and its shows the mini-suite style partition curtains which other lines have done away with. However, due to the wide angle and compression factor it makes the cabin appear narrower.  Here is another one of our suite in October, like I mentioned the concierge suites in the Navigator and Voyager are much larger, however I do think that Regent tries to cram too much bulky stuff in, like the marble coffee table.

2018    Regent Mariner 380.JPG

Here is another take on the space between the bed and wall in the Mariner Concierge Suites.  Same suites but earlier before renovations. If you think that space is narrow between the bed and wall, you should check out the Concierge Level Veranda cabins on Oceania's Nautica, Regatta, Sirena and Insignia or the Balcony cabins on the Pacific Princess. All R ships.  

493.JPG

A concierge suite on the Mariner is identical to their lowest category suite (cat. H) in size and services -- but higher in price. It is 256 sq. ft. of interior space. Yes, I too find it small -- especially in light of the price. It in no way is a "suite".

Since this thread is partially about HAL, I have questions about suite inclusions and amenities. For a comparison point, last July we took Celebrity in a Royal suite to Alaska. We had around 1000 sq. Ft. Interior space, huge balcony, separate dining, drinks anywhere, specialty dining, laundry, and a real butler all included. How does this compare with the perks on a major suite on HAL?

1 hour ago, kennicott said:
Here is another take on the space between the bed and wall in the Mariner Concierge Suites.  Same suites but earlier before renovations. If you think that space is narrow between the bed and wall, you should check out the Concierge Level Veranda cabins on Oceania's Nautica, Regatta, Sirena and Insignia or the Balcony cabins on the Pacific Princess. All R ships.  

493.JPG

Thank you for posting another photo of the tiny suite.  I do not compare Regent suites with Oceania or Princess as they are not luxury cruise lines.  If you go to a mainstream cruise line, you'll find the "regular" suites to be a size fit for an animal and the top suites larger than anything Regent has (except for the Regent suite on Explorer).

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

A concierge suite on the Mariner is identical to their lowest category suite (cat. H) in size and services -- but higher in price. It is 256 sq. ft. of interior space. Yes, I too find it small -- especially in light of the price. It in no way is a "suite".

Yea, the industry has been shrewd for years. As most know a mini-suite is just a glorified balcony cabin. A real suite should have a bedroom separated by a wall and doors. Some time back many lines came up with this marketing gimmick of placing a sliding curtain in a balcony cabin and called it a "mini-suite". Later, they still call them mini-suites but have even abandoned placing a curtain divider in them. Now some are calling all cabins, even tiny ones, suites.

We recently got off a cruise where we had our first full suite. Just shy of 1,000 square feet, including balcony. Really spoiled us. Of course they couldn't call it a lowly "suite", since everything seems to be a "suite" anymore, they called it an "Owners Cabin".     

If Regent or any other cruise line wants to call them suites, who am I to argue?  A cabin is like a bedroom while a suite has a living room type separate area.  I have not found a definition that suggests that having a curtain or divider negates the fact that it is a suite.  Wikipedia defines a suite in a hotel or cruise line as "A suite in a hotel or other public accommodation such as a cruise ship denotes, according to most dictionary definitions, connected rooms under one room number."

In any case, not sure why it matters.